classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Car Insurance Ageism?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
norustplease

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Car Insurance Ageism? Reply with quote

When I bought my modern daily driver back in early 2014, I was offered car insurance via the manufacturer's own scheme. It was underwritten by a well known insurer and my own policy was up for renewal shortly. The price was good, so I took it on board. Year 2 renewal was also fair, and so rather than go through the hassle of reviewing my options, I renewed.
I received year 3 renewal about a week or so ago and reviewed it. It still seemed passably competitive, but, since I had retired at the end of 2015, I thought that I would first update my details with them, and see what savings these offered.
The lady on the other end of the phone was pleasant and took on board my advice that I had retired, no longer required any addition for business usage and could reduce my annual maximum stated mileage from 15k per annum down to 10k. There was silence whilst she punched in the details and then.
'That will be a £33 additional premium sir."
Having expected that this reduction in exposure to the hazards of business motoring would generate a small saving, I was slightly taken aback. Pardon me, I said, surely reducing my mileage and getting rid of all of those business trips into distant towns and cities makes me less of a liability. She ummed and ahh'd and said (regretfully), well it was an automated system and that's what it said.
Preposterous, I said, I don't think that I will renew with you after all. She offered to speak to 'the underwriter'.
There was a muttered conversation for several minutes and then she returned.
Sorry, it was what it was. The underwriter said that you would be going to all sorts of unfamiliar places in your retirement and that was the factor that bumped up the premium significantly. Furthermore, I had already had a significant discount for new business in my previous years' premiums, so this was merely bringing it back into line with market rates, and that was that.
Unsure why reducing the amount of time spent on the road, and removing the pressures of business mileage actually made me a higher risk and wondering what the difference might be between going to unfamiliar places on business and unfamiliar places for pleasure, I sensed a fob-off and politely advised her that I would be taking my business elsewhere.
I have subsequently found (without difficulty) an equivalent policy with equivalent cover via a reputable insurer, that is substantially cheaper.

Has anybody else on here found themselves charged more for reducing
their mileage and no longer driving for business purposes?
Boring Tucson SUV
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they all work on the basis that your premium will creep up unless you threaten to take your business elsewhere. It's always worth getting another quote. They are almost always prepared to match it.

Peter
D4B

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my experience too, loyalty seems to cost you dear these days! Shop around,
I managed to knock over £100 of my renewal quote and improved cover at the same time,

mad isn't it Evil or Very Mad
alanb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be with the well known company with the dog, on renewing after a couple of years my premiums had increased by £80 odd pounds, I therefore went online and found a quote for £90 less from the company with the dog.
I phoned the company to see if they would match the online price and was told " no they could not do that as the online price was for new customers only but I could cancel my existing policy with them and start a new one on line at the lower price". So I did that and 2 day latter received a letter asking for proof of my no claim discount, and then the following day I received another letter from them asking if I would reconsider cancelling my policy if they matched the price of the new company. Know wonder our premium are so high, it must be all this admin?.

Morris 8 two seater
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For about thirty years I had various American cars with a company that started as Clarkson Puckle it changed many times until it became Aon. Although I didn't need it they always gave me unlimited mileage. Aon was taken over by Footman James and the premium suddenly jumped by about 30%. When I enquired they couldn't tell me why, but I asked for a price for a 5000 limited mileage, the quote came back almost double that for unlimited mileage. They then told me they were loading the prices for American cars in spite of the fact they advertise in American car magazines. I am now insured with Peter James.
ka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been with the same company now for five years, and each year on receiving the renewal I go onto the comparison sites and check how much they are quoting to use the same company. I then phone them up (0800 number) and get put through to the leaving team, and they manage to undercut their own internet quote. Very annoying but for ten minutes effort saved around £70 this year.
For clarification I insure with a company with the same name as a town on the south coast, where a famous battle took place.

Better three than four.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We too were Clarkson Puckle from 1998 through it various guises until 2014. We had a fleet policy with 5 of our 7 classics with agreed value, unlimited mileage and occasional business use. We do less that 10K miles and have no other cars

It became fully apparent in 2014 that they did not want business use and I found out that the previous years renewal under FJ was not on agreed value terms anyway.

I put all our cars with Peter Best Hiscox as I had 2 with them already and are still paying less than I did with FJ although its limited mileage now its no problem.

Expecting to retire by 2020 at latest so will look forward to more fun
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: