classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Any experiences with solid state voltage stabilisers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Any experiences with solid state voltage stabilisers? Reply with quote

Hi all, been having some odd symptoms for a while now with my temperature gauge readings being all over the place, after a bit of tinkering and parts swapping I suspect the voltage stabiliser - a repro, iirc. It's not down to the engine, as it couldn't go from stone cold to boiling and back again in under a minute, or give some of the high steady readings I've had without making an impressive amount of steam... Looking around online there are a few solid state replacements available, so I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with them, good or bad? All thoughts welcome as ever Smile
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just nip in to your local electronics shop and get an LM7810 it's a simple 3 pin fixed voltage regulator, will cost about 45p. It's in a TO-220 case, so can be easily hidden, it will regulate to 10v same as the "automotive" ones, google it for the pin connections.

Cheers

Dave
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Dave - I'll have a crack at it, the price is rather more attractive than I've seen previously and I don't mind a little soldering. Reading the datasheet they're good for up to 30-odd volts input so I'm assuming that should be OK with a dynamo charging system?

Will have to be mail order again though - nearest shop to me for this sort of stuff is Maplins in Cardiff, ~30 miles away... Rolling Eyes
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for an update on this. I got one of the devices Dave mentioned, and fitted it by soldering some short flying leads to the pins, insulating with heatshrink sleeving, and using standard crimps as appropriate to connect to the circuit and provide a good earth. It didn't take much longer to do than to write about it, and cost a lot less that the ones on fleabay which are essentially the same thing. Checking with a multimeter shows it giving a nice steady 10v with the engine running and dynamo charging, so all good there, thanks to Dave.

Of course I decided to pry the old one open and have a look at it, and I got a surprise - that was a solid state device too, packaged in an old style casing. This may have been contributing to the odd symptoms I've been having with it, as earthing relies on the circuit board making a good connection with the metal casing where the two are crimped together. Obviously earthing is important for these devices to work properly, and that strikes me as being a rather poor design.

Is my temp gauge working? No chance! A new sender causes it to read high while the old one appears to have failed with an intermittent open circuit. Earthing the terminal that connects with the sender causes the gauge to read maximum, so I'm assuming that's OK - though if anyone has any test data to check it out with I'll have a look. I've now ordered another sender from a local factor - it's the same as a Mini one, so still listed - on the basis that if it turns out to be junk I can take it back easily. The other new one I had was so cheap as to be not worth sending back, time the postage is taken into account - it was via Ebay and past experience is that they're only interested in making the seller refund the item cost, you can whistle for the return postage.
ka

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, confused at this one, is the vehicle 6v or 12v?, if 6v, charging at 10v sounds high, if 12v, then 10v is low.
Are the senders you are obtaining 12v? the mini one will be if not the others.

I am aware that a classic alternator charges at around 14v, do 6v vehicles normally charge at 10v?

Better three than four.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ka wrote:
Sorry, confused at this one, is the vehicle 6v or 12v?, if 6v, charging at 10v sounds high, if 12v, then 10v is low.
Are the senders you are obtaining 12v? the mini one will be if not the others.

I am aware that a classic alternator charges at around 14v, do 6v vehicles normally charge at 10v?

It's the gauge voltage regulator, which is normally 10v for a 12v system, in order that the gauges read correctly even if the battery is less than 12v

As this is going on an electro mechanically regulated system (Dynamo), it's worth putting a Zener diode accross the input to protect the regulator against voltage spikes, semiconductors and noisy electrics don't get on!

Dave
ka

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I understand more now.
Glad I chose the capillary tube type.

Better three than four.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:

As this is going on an electro mechanically regulated system (Dynamo), it's worth putting a Zener diode accross the input to protect the regulator against voltage spikes, semiconductors and noisy electrics don't get on!

Dave

Dave, given that I know 0 about electronics, I'd really appreciate a little more detail, such as a suitable component to use and how to mount it - I assume between 12v and earth, but as I say this isn't my area of knowledge at all Embarassed The sum of my zener diode knowledge comes from trawling bike shops about 20 years ago for something that would stop the dynamo lights on my bike blowing bulbs going downhill...

Also, a thought that strikes me now, would such a thing be OK mounted remotely, say near the fusebox, in the interests of easier access and tidying up the wiring? It's a bit of a rat's nest as it is, would like to rewire but the usual time/money hassles have always been in the way.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collected the second new sender from the factors last week, but no time to fit until today. I now have a working temp gauge Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy though I wasn't sure at first - thought it was under reading, but testing back at base with a glass thermometer, improvised rad muff and brick on the throttle shows it to be pretty accurate, it's just that the engine is running a little cooler than I would like. IIRC it has a summer thermostat in because it seemed to be running a little too warm a couple of years ago, maybe that was the gauge reading high due to an ailing sender or stabiliser.

I've also had a read up on zener diodes, but if Dave reads this I'd still appreciate some input to make sure I don't go and let the smoke out of the wires... Smile
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
Collected the second new sender from the factors last week, but no time to fit until today. I now have a working temp gauge Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy though I wasn't sure at first - thought it was under reading, but testing back at base with a glass thermometer, improvised rad muff and brick on the throttle shows it to be pretty accurate, it's just that the engine is running a little cooler than I would like. IIRC it has a summer thermostat in because it seemed to be running a little too warm a couple of years ago, maybe that was the gauge reading high due to an ailing sender or stabiliser.

I've also had a read up on zener diodes, but if Dave reads this I'd still appreciate some input to make sure I don't go and let the smoke out of the wires... Smile

Basically where you have a coil ( as in the control unit or in a relay) that is being energised and de energised high voltage very low current spike are generated, these spikes can damage electronic components. A diode can be used to clamp these spike to earth. Diodes are often fitted directly across the coils especially in relays, where the relay is used in conjunction with electronics, SU fuel pumps have them fitted across the coil, although this was done to preserve the contacts.

Fitting the diode is easy, they have a ring marked on one end, if your vehicle is positive Earth the ring side of the diode is connected to the chassis, if it's a negative earth car then then the other way round.
You could also, and this is easier fit a 0.047uF 100v capacitor across the input, these are not polarity sensitive, and will literally cost a few pence.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: