classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Old car starter motor question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Julian67

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Old car starter motor question Reply with quote

Hi

Once the starter motor pinon gear shoots out, are the pinon gears supposed to spin before hitting the flywheel?

All I get is a whine from my solenoid.

Once out of the car and I start it using jump leads, the pinon gear shoots out but the pinon gears do not spin.

When I move the pinon gears by hand, it moves the armature which is clean with new brushes.

Thanks
DM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asuming you have an inertia starter motor the pinion has a clutch built in it (rollers on a ramp).
If you can turn the armature by the pinion the clutch should be ok.
Check that the armature direction of rotation is correct.
goneps

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would help to have some specifics. An old car, but how old? Like the cars themselves, electrics have been progressively developed over the decades and there are considerable variations in design and operation. What's the make and type of starter? What's the car? Without this information we're just groping around in the dark.

Pre-war Lucas starters as fitted to run-of-the mill makes don't incorporate a clutch, but neither were they operated by a solenoid.

The sudden motion of the armature causes the inert pinion to travel up the helix, but should also begin to impart some turning action to assist engagement with the stationary ring gear. The helix should be dry or lightly lubricated with powdered dry graphite. Oil build-up on the helix gums it up and prevents the pinion from moving freely and engaging with the ring gear, resulting in the starter motor spinning uselessly. My guess is that this is the whine you can hear—solenoids don't whine, they only click.

Richard
DM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked to see what starter motor was fitted, which is a Bosch pre engaged unit.
So it looks like you may have a faulty solenoid,try connecting your jump lead to the output terminal of the solenoid.
The motor should spin but the pinion wont shoot out.

Solenoid No may be 0331302051 if so a replacement is available here -

https://www.hc-cargo.com/default.aspx?id=107&search=0+331+302+051+
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: