classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Sandblasting outdoors safety
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
rcx822

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all makes sense now.

I've heard of soda blasting, apparently it's used for doing body work because it doesn't work harden the metal.

Never seen the dry ice stuff!

I'm probably going for the big tarpaulin, and force fed mask because I have things I want to blast while they're fitted to the car.
ka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your neighbours and the Environmental health Officer will be relieved!

Better three than four.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcx822 wrote:
I'm probably going for the big tarpaulin, and force fed mask because I have things I want to blast while they're fitted to the car.

Both the grit blaster and air fed masks consume a good deal of air so will require a suitably large compressor; a potentially expensive set up, so unless you plan to do this proffesionaly or have a huge amount of stuff to clean is it worth it? I'm all for doing as many of the jobs myself but sometimes it's just not cost effective.

For the occasional job I'd still maintain that an airfed mask is not essential, a decent filtered mask and traditional blasters hood should give enough protection.

Finally be aware that if you are blasting components whilst they are still on the car, the grit will get everywhere! So either some form of masking or a lengthy clean up will be required.

Cheers

Dave
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For blasting very small rusty areas, I've used a Spot Blaster - basically a blaster with a shield around the nozzle. The idea is that you press the shield up against the panel you want to blast, and the grit doesn't escape, it's re-circulated into a bag from where you can re-use it.

It worked OK, based on being around a tenner from Aldi. The shield is too hard to seal properly, so I added a bit of foam to compress against the panel. The media that comes with it also isn't very good, but with a lot of patience it's possible to clean some rusty pitted areas quite effectively. Wouldn't work on anything large though, or anything where you couldn't get a decent seal to gather the media. I've got an attachment for a pressure washer that will turn it into a sandblaster, using water pressure to drive the sand, but it seems wrong to blast it back to bare metal and send water at high-pressure straight afterwards.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
I've got an attachment for a pressure washer that will turn it into a sandblaster, using water pressure to drive the sand, but it seems wrong to blast it back to bare metal and send water at high-pressure straight afterwards.

That sounds interesting. I reckon it could work OK if you wiped the worst of the water straight off then chased it with phosphoric acid.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
MikeEdwards wrote:
I've got an attachment for a pressure washer that will turn it into a sandblaster, using water pressure to drive the sand, but it seems wrong to blast it back to bare metal and send water at high-pressure straight afterwards.

That sounds interesting. I reckon it could work OK if you wiped the worst of the water straight off then chased it with phosphoric acid.

I'd wipe with a solvent;...like "panel wipe" to remove any residual moisture.

Dave
Kenham

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I have just thought of is after you have blasted your parts quickly rub over them with abrasive paper of some sort. Blasting can leave tiny pointed bits that the paint won't stick to very well, the rubbing off of these tiny points will stop rust coming through at a later date. Ken
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside I once supplied a water blasting company with protective gear. One day the boss offered to show me what they were doing on an old boat that had been abandoned years before. They were cleaning the metal of the hull before cutting it up and were actually using the water blaster to cut the steel. It left a neat narrow cut on the thick steel of the hull,frightening to think of the damage such a thing could do to a person.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that subject, I recall reading a book about the short-wheelbase Audi Sport quattro, which is largely made with Kevlar outer panels. They described how one of the problems they faced with Kevlar was that it was quite a new thing at the time, very strong and light, but when it came to cutting off the excess when the panel was removed from the mould, it blunted traditional cutting tools very quickly indeed. So a high-pressure water cutting system was developed to get around it.
rcx822

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see quite a few more tips have been added since I last checked in.

I tried contacting HSE for advise but they say they can't give advice on general safety.

A few people in this thread said that they use regular sand with a regular mask. I know on other forums lots of others saying they do the same. I haven't found any official documents on this, but when I see contractors using what looks like play sand because they are sand blasting outdoors, they are wearing full forced air masks. And when I read the warnings about silicosis on the HSE and World Health Org website, I have to say, I personally would not risk it. Either use safe media or full mask.

I haven't started my blasing yet so not sure which route taking yet, but I really have had some good tips here.

PS needle scalers don't seem to work effectively! Just wasted £35 !!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcx822 wrote:
I see quite a few more tips have been added since I last checked in.

I tried contacting HSE for advise but they say they can't give advice on general safety.

A few people in this thread said that they use regular sand with a regular mask. I know on other forums lots of others saying they do the same. I haven't found any official documents on this, but when I see contractors using what looks like play sand because they are sand blasting outdoors, they are wearing full forced air masks. And when I read the warnings about silicosis on the HSE and World Health Org website, I have to say, I personally would not risk it. Either use safe media or full mask.

I haven't started my blasing yet so not sure which route taking yet, but I really have had some good tips here.

PS needle scalers don't seem to work effectively! Just wasted £35 !!

If your are that concerned the thing to do would be to contact a suppler of H&S gear, there are all sorts of masks and filters available for all sorts of different protection, different media, different sort of usage (heavy or light), disposable or with replaceable filters etc etc

Dave
MVPeters

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be interested in the videos on this web site:

www.dustlessblasting.com

It looks very impressive, but I imagine very expensive.
You might get some ideas from it, though.

(I have no connection etc etc....)
rcx822

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome. I will have a proper look later.

Watching that video though, my main question is, what does it take to keep your workshop so clean? My tools are all greasy, does this guy have a garage maid?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcx822 wrote:
Watching that video though, my main question is, what does it take to keep your workshop so clean? My tools are all greasy, does this guy have a garage maid?
perhaps after use the tools get a dusting with that moustache Laughing

Dave
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcx822 wrote:
perhaps after use the tools get a dusting with that moustache Laughing

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: