classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hello everybody, new member here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Richard (Oldstager)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 3:21 pm    Post subject: Hello everybody, new member here. Reply with quote

Hi all,
As a life long fan of old cars I have only just recently taken possession of another one. My current car is currently "pretending" to be one but it's got another 10 years to wait before it is.

The new arrival is a 1970 Herald 13/60 on an H plate. This maybe hard to believe but after wading through the piles of paperwork I got with this car it is a genuine 3 owner ( I am the 3rd) example with just shy of 15K on the clock.

I only got the car yesterday, so still evaluating what bits it needs for it to pass my perhaps rather high standards. Overall the car is very sound, given it's age there are a few bits of chipped paint and a front wheel arch is starting to show signs of a bit of a paint bubble, but the metal is sound still in that area. It does currently hold a valid MOT from just a few months ago, but as I don't know the garage that did it, I will get another one done with the chap I have used for the past 10 years on the 7.

I will post pics and stuff once I have collated them into some sort of order, but expect a fair few questions from me going foward.

I am not new to Triumphs however having prepared and raced both a Spitfire and a Vitesse in both Tarmac stage rallying , Sprints and Hillclimbs, alas that was 30 odd years ago and just re-aquainting myself with the mechanical parts.

More posts to follow in due course and thankyou to Mr OCC for activating my membership.

Richard - Lancashire.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Richard.

Sounds like a very nice car, 15k on the clock too!
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Richard. I am a Triumph fan. I owned a nice GT6 Mark3 for 38 years and restored it twice!!

Are you sure the Herald hasn't been round the clock?
Richard (Oldstager)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Welcome aboard Richard.

Sounds like a very nice car, 15k on the clock too!

Thank you, it's great to me here now. Hoping to both help and be helped as these old cars need folks like us to keep them on the road.

Ah, this forum won't add another quoted post not used to phpbb been a while since I last used that.

So to Ray White, hi there great to have Triumph fans in the house, well not sure where to post the pics here or elsewhere , perhaps you can advise ?. But I can assure you it's not done 114K , the interior is mint, and I mean mint, the rear seats have never been used by the looks of it, there is plastic still on one of the door cards I have the original V5 from its 1st owner and it appears from that that she drove it around until the late 80's into the early 90's, then it was parked for decades, albeit stored very well as I have said. The chap I got it from had it just 3 years and was a lockdown project, in fact I think it was a money spinner for him as he claims it was a non runner, although the only parts I see new is one starter motor, the rest is OE. I think what has happened is that upon the 1st owner either passing away or just unable to drive anymore, the car was perhaps moved to a secure location where it was dry and not too damp, perhaps it was split off the estate should lady be not alive anymore. I will post pics when I get everything in order, I have far too many to post, so will try and edit them all into something that makes sence.
Richard (Oldstager)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I spent 10 minutes writing out a big post to be given this upon submitting the post.

General Error

Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
File : emailer.php

So instead of writing all that again, can I post pics here, or is there a section for that, not used to a phpbb board, been a while since I last used this.
Richard (Oldstager)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No option to delete your own posts then, ok, well I had huge issues before as can be seen above repeated failure requests from the server, sorry for those muliple posts, the message said error, so I assumed it would not post at all.

then I look here and there they all are, and I can't delete them either.
Richard (Oldstager)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pics of the Herald that arrived yesterday

https://ibb.co/X5qsQXt

Will upload one pic for now to test if this works, been a while having to use an image host.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard (Oldstager) wrote:
LOL, I spent 10 minutes writing out a big post to be given this upon submitting the post.

If you have a read through the "sticky" posts at the top of this section of the forum, there's a thread entitled "Sticky: DEBUG messages". It's something to do with email updates, just ignore it. The note is here: https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22792

Images need to be hosted somewhere, I use Tinypic I think, though very often I've already uploaded the photo to another forum so I just copy/paste the link from there. Usually there's a way to put it in IMG tags rather than links, so it shows up directly inside the post.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just remembered you can delete your own posts, there's a little "x" in a box in the top right corner. Maybe only for a certain amount of time - I can see it for this post, but not for the one I posted earlier this morning.
Richard (Oldstager)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
I've just remembered you can delete your own posts, there's a little "x" in a box in the top right corner. Maybe only for a certain amount of time - I can see it for this post, but not for the one I posted earlier this morning.

Hi Mike, yes for a recent post you can delete it, but when I posted the above repeated posts I thought it wasn't going to post at all, coming back hours later the "delete" post option was no longer visible. I wonder If Mr OCC would consider updating this forum to something more modern, I have no issues in contributing to that as this old software is quite outdated now and lacks the features more modern boards have. Coming from my other cars club's forum this is like going back in time by some margin. I know we love old cars, but I do think we perhaps need to use more modern when it comes to sharing information.

Richard.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Richard. Your Herald sounds very nice. I hope you'll post some photos.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: