classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Airbrushing history
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Airbrushing history Reply with quote

I happened to spot that RM Auctions are selling a long nose D-type in their January sale. The accompanying blurb read as follows:-

After being wrung out by Jaguar’s legendary test engineer Norman Dewis, XKD 604’s debuted at the Daily Express Silverstone event in May 1956, where it was driven by Desmond Titterington. At season’s end, the team D-type cars were retired from racing and XKD 604 was acquired by Scottish racing team Ecurie Ecosse, where it remained in storage until the team closed its doors in 1971.

I suggest you now read this great article called "Precious Scrap Metal" by Doug Nye which is the real history. The car was cut up after going back to Jaguar and mysteriously reappeared over 20 years later.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/april-2010/132/doug-nye
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always thought, especially when it comes to racing cars, that what has been created once can be broken up and if need be recreated. There is, however, no excuse for "airbrushing" history as you put it. The full story must be told by anyone selling one of these vastly expensive cars; warts and all. The short sightedness is what amazes me because, eventually (after doing the research that should have been done before purchase) the buyer will uncover the ugly truth; that the car in which they have invested so much is no more than a 'bitsa'.

Well done, Lowdrag, for raising this issue.
Dipster

Location: UK, France and Portugal - unless I am travelling....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been many instances of resurrected cars and two cars built from various bits of crash remains or spares claiming the same identity.

But there are winners here. First the auctioneers who make larger profits from their commissions on the sale at what might be considered an unwarranted high price and then the lawyers who are engaged to argue the cases of the sellers and buyers!
47Jag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have always thought, especially when it comes to racing cars, that what has been created once can be broken up and if need be recreated

Ray,

This statement would be true if the car had been rebuilt as a whole, but if it's the car I'm thinking of it was in fact rebuilt as two cars both claiming the original identity.

I think a friend of mine who collects cars has one half. He told me the story 20+ years ago about a D type that one guy had the front bulkhead and another had the rear axle area and both were claiming the provenance of I assume XKD604. We lost touch and I haven't seen him for years since I stopped going to the car shows but the last time that I did he was in a D type and he alluded to the disputed cars. His wife took ill and as I said I stopped going to shows but we still send Christmas cards.

I'm sure Lowdrag will know this story and my know where the 'other half is'.

Art
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this the thing that the DVLA have been complaining about regarding Bugattis?
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there is only one claimant to the chassis number, but the car disappeared in 1956 and strangely "reappeared" 25 years later. It is recorded in the archives as having been cut into pieces following a bad crash on its first outing. I'll find the photo of the twin cars you are talking about and add it.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that the DVLA were quite thinking things through when they published their findings on what constitutes a "real" car, do you? That is a can of worms that they can't find a way of resolving since nearly every car ever built more than 25 years ago would fall foul of one of the requirements. Maybe "Q" plates are going to be the in thing?

Anyway, here is the photo of two cars both claiming the same chassis number being cannibalised and one "real" car being finalised and one replica which was sold on.

In the case of the intention of the post, the first car is indeed 604 which raced ingloriously for one lap before being written off and cut up by Jaguar over the next week, but which suddenly appeared in the 1980s. A complete fake as they say.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The history of all the C D & SS Jaguars is here:

http://www.jaguarreplicas.com/ click on the History tab.

Obviously I can't vouch for the accuracy, but it makes for an interesting read!
Minxy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having worked in Motorsport for some years in a previous career I have seen this happen many many times. More recently a Audi Quattro A1 rally car came onto the market in another country, the blurb listed its successes in chronological date order from its inception to date, what it did not tell was four years after it was initially built it was wrapped around a tree and totalled. I knew this because I swapped the parts over to a new shell and have a photo of the crashed shell waiting for disposal. This was back in the eighties almost certainly since then most, if not all, of the mechanicals will have been updated/ replaced so the car today will at best be around 10% original. I also have a photo of the Audi sport workshop where I worked with a selection of ' anonymous' body shells part prepared for the same thing.

My advice to anyone thinking of buying a race car that they are paying top dollar for in terms of history is check, check again then double check and if there is even 1% of doubt walk away
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MVPeters wrote:
The history of all the C D & SS Jaguars is here:

http://www.jaguarreplicas.com/ click on the History tab.

Obviously I can't vouch for the accuracy, but it makes for an interesting read!

All I can see is the history of the C-types not D-types or XKSS. But wherever, please be careful about these histories. As in the case of XKD 604, mostly everywhere the history has been written by the owner, as under Coventry Racers for example, and XKData. It takes a lot of research to really get to the bottom of any history today, as in the case of the Quattros.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more valuable the car, (often) the more murky the history can become Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
MVPeters

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowdrag - pm sent.

Yes, sorry folks, that wasn't the best link!
I had found several sites listing the histories several years ago. They were all broadly similar & did indeed include the D & SS cars. Sadly I don't know now which site I ended up with.
It may have been http://www.classicscars.com/chassis/chassis.html for which free registration is now needed. There are others & as lowdrag pointed out, don't take any of them as 'gospel'!
lowdrag

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success it seems. Suddenly any mention of XKD 604 has disappeared from the RM sale catalogue. Perhaps they have bowed to superior force and realised that this is a fake.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my claims to fame is that I knew Duncan Hamilton. He ran a classic car show rooms in Bagshot years ago. I worked directly across the road. Duncan was a real character who could get away with anything. He would pretend to his customers that the replica D Types that he sold handled the same as the Le Mans cars that he raced when, in fact, their rear suspension was different and gave different handling characteristics!.

I think he would have found the whole "fake" business a bit of a hoot.

As it happens, a neighbour of mine has built his own replica D Type. Although I would't be able to tell it from the real thing, he wouldn't try to pass it off as such.

When all's said and done, I think it's a question of one's integrity.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
One of my claims to fame is that I knew Duncan Hamilton. He ran a classic car show rooms in Bagshot years ago. I worked directly across the road. Duncan was a real character who could get away with anything. He would pretend to his customers that the replica D Types that he sold handled the same as the Le Mans cars that he raced when, in fact, their rear suspension was different and gave different handling characteristics!.

I think he would have found the whole "fake" business a bit of a hoot.

As it happens, a neighbour of mine has built his own replica D Type. Although I would't be able to tell it from the real thing, he wouldn't try to pass it off as such.

When all's said and done, I think it's a question of one's integrity.

Someone who lives not far from a gent I know (!), also has a "D-Type". He claims it's an original, according to my contact. I saw it once at a show, it was obviously a rep but it would appear that he tells everyone that it's pukka. Ah well.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: