classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Where have all the petrol stations gone?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Ellis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Where have all the petrol stations gone? Reply with quote

In September 1992 I set a pub quiz and the tiebreak question was "how many petrol stations are there in mainland Britain?

The answer then was 17679.

I wonder what the answer is now - half that number?

Driving through towns most of you will have noticed that the former petrol stations are now used car lots or valeting centres.
In my own village in the 1970s there were no less than five places you could buy fuel. Older residents have told me at one time there were six. Now there is only one Shell owned and operated site.

Not one village in the Conwy Valley has a petrol station now and even I remember at least one in every village.

It looks as if nearly every fuel station is either supermarket, oil company or corporate owned now.

Ominous or a guarantee of safety and efficiency?

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few small village stations near us but the prices are at least 10p more per litre than the town stations. Like you say, the majority are now Supermarket petrol stations.
Vintage Crank

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The demise of a lot of the smaller petrol stations was due, in part I suspect, to the cost of meeting increasingly onerous regulations.

A local village station told me that they had finally stopped dispensing fuel and concentrated on repairs/MOTs instead some years ago due to the cost of having to install forecourt spillage drains. It was the final straw on top of many other mandated upgrades over the years. Quite a shame really as they had a set of wonderful old pumps, still retaining their illuminated globes and overhead delivery hose gantries. Probably sold them for a fortune.

And in the nearest small town, another very old one-man operation (the business and the owner!) had to close when the high street was pedestrianised. Bit difficult to sell fuel when cars can't reach you!

And of course, the value of the prime building land that so many older fuel stations sit on must be a big factor these days in their closures.

1927 Morris Oxford Saloon 14/28
1949 Ferguson TED20 tractor and other 1950s
1958 Series 2 Land Rover 88" and various 2a's
1969 Jaguar 420G
roverdriver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not just a phenomenon in your part of the world. Here in Australia it used to be that the smallest settlement with just a general store that would provide all services for the small local population including Post Office, would invariably have a petrol pump out the front. Now, even small towns that used to have a garage and petrol station are often short of such facilities.

With the often long distances in parts of our land, one has to enquire to make sure that fuel will be available further up the road. It is not too difficult on major roads, but minor and back roads can prove difficult.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
There are a few small village stations near us but the prices are at least 10p more per litre than the town stations.

That was the same near to where I worked - a Shell station near the motorway, and an independent much closer to the office but very much more expensive. In the next town, though, two Shell stations within 300 yards of each other, one always 1p per litre cheaper than the other.
peppiB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently travelling north from Newcastle upon Tyne on the A696, there is petrol available at the airport and the next affordable place is in Jedburgh,Scotland, 56 miles away ...... apart from a small rural station near Keilder which charges 25p per litre more than the going rate
Peter_L

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the same here where we live. Population is sparse, probably no more than a few thousand in 10 mile radius. In the 60's there were 5 petrol stations in the village, now there is only one and another on a road about 2 miles away. There are more people in the area than there were in the 60's, (new builds)

I don't know why, but it is an interesting topic. Even back in Barnsley, Yorkshire, there were many more petrol stations than now. Were people more brand loyal. ? A family member ran an AGIP station for a while but the brand never took hold in the UK.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peppiB wrote:
...... apart from a small rural station near Keilder which charges 25p per litre more than the going rate
Problem is when the going rate is artificially low because the supermarkets use petrol stations as a loss leader, its nigh on impossible for small independents to survive; when they can only make 1 or 2 p a litre there is a lot of fuel to be sold just to cover overheads....

Dave
Dipster

Location: UK, France and Portugal - unless I am travelling....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was never enough money to be made in retailing fuel to sustain a fuel station on its own. In my youth the garage came with the fuel station. It was tied to a refiner. The rent was inexpensive but you accepted what was often an onerous contract for fuel sales (plus oils and other company brand "tat" such as screen wash) to get the workshops, where money could be made.

We often gave the "tat" to regular customers to get shot of it as more was always on its way! The oils were sold through the workshop. So the workshop subsidised the fuel sales (and thus a multi national oil company!) but, overall, a reasonable income was possible.

I imagine the fact that cars of any makes, such as we used to be happy to accept, are not so easily maintained or repaired. Thus the small garage cannot, perhaps, survive so easily. Consequently the fuel station goes too.
JohnDale

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the dark(happy)days my Uncles working garage on the A49 in Cuddington(spoken of in previous posts) also sold petrol. They were (by contract) open from 06.00 to midnight for petrol sales with a very small return per gallon. Then the M6 was opened. Overnight they lost almost all of their passing trade. The result was they sold up & retired so the local area lost a repair centre & a filling station. I think(old memory) the nearest fuel after that was in Northwich, or, of course, in the motorway services at a higher price. Cheers,JD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: