classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Things in the house that shouldn't be
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Things in the house that shouldn't be Reply with quote

Morning all,

Years ago my late uncle used to keep the Velocette in his house, mainly because he had no garage or shed. We did the same for a while too, but now SWMBO has decreed that it might be a hazard to small people who may visit.

Do you keep anything in the house that, normally, would live outside in the garage/workshop etc? I'm thinking signs, petrol pumps, mopeds, engine parts, ejector seats etc etc???

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Dipster

Location: UK, France and Portugal - unless I am travelling....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I approached my 16th birthday my Dad kindly gave up the front room as a workshop for a few weeks so I could build up my Ducati (bought as parts) after school in time for my 16th and licence!
roverdriver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago, a friend and I located and collected most of the parts for a 1904 FN 4 cylinder motorcycle. It had been pulled apart and was scattered under a boxthorn hedge. The main frame tubes had rotted away, but the forged joiners were useable.
Because my friend had his workshop filled with cars and car parts, he set up a table in the kitchen and proceeded to rebuild the bike on that table. It was quite a conversation piece when he had visitors.
Some years later there was a divorce, but I believe the friction that caused it had nothing to do with old machinery.
Mog

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate's dad decided to re build the engine in the 1928 3 lt. Bentley. The block , with its fixed head sat in the kitchen for many months...
emmerson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. According to SWMBO, me!
47Jag

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my Jaguar I was in the throws of building my garage and had to store the car in a neighbours for some months. When the garage was finished/habitable it was the late autumn and I didn't fancy working out there in the cold so I pulled the engine, stripped and cleaned it and then move it all into our smallest bedroom where I rebuilt it. Things got busy at work and 20 plus years went by in a flash and the engine was still there. In fact we did an extension in 1999 and the staircase to upstairs passed through the 'engine room' as it was now known. The engine was just rolled out of the way and work proceeded. Then three years ago SWMBO decided she needed a dressing room and me, my engine and all my computer stuff got turfed out. The engine got fitted into the chassis, the computer stuff ended up in the loft and she got her dressing room but it's still known as 'the engine room'.

Art
52classic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 70's and the heady days of being provided with a company car, my passion for 'potching' with old cars was fueled by providing a second family car, officially for Mrs. C to drive.

She loved the ADO16 models (and latterly Metros, but they are another story) and when the chance of a rusted out spares car came my way I just couldn't resist.

My other task at the time was to board out attic so I made the hatch part a bit oversize and hoisted the 1300, complete sans bodywork, up onto our new upper floor.

It was a great source of small components but the big bits were not required by the time we moved away. For all I know they are up there to this day!
peppiB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 'B' series cylinder head under my wardrobe in the bedroom if that counts. For years there was a Moggy head alongside it, but I let that go when I sold the car

Most drawers and cupboards in the flat have spares of some kind in them, much to the disgust of Her Ladyship
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The skinny spare from my V40 is behind my front door.
Explanation: I don't even have a shed and there is a full size matching alloy spare in the car.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
petelang

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago, a college lecturer of mine, who had a Marine engineering business in Maldon, asked me if I wanted to earn a few bob and help him at weekends. I arrived at his modest three bed semi, Austin Gypsy parked on front drive and rang the doorbell. As I was warmly invited in by his wife, I noted a long line of obviously used 5Ltd oil cans all along the hallway, on the carpet, some clearly leaving evidence of their use. Moving on into the lounge, a kitchen farmhouse table stood behind the sofa with a collection of part disassembled outboard motors on it, and looking around there were all manner of machinery bits in hidden corners. The kitchen had also been invaded and this housed much of the electrical items.
At the time she had a young baby and a three year old to contend with, along with Brian. My mate and I could not believe it but she seemed OK with it. He explained that he was looking for a bigger workshop but when we went to the one he already had at the time it was almost empty and considerably tidier than the house.
She did get recompense though. A few years later her dream house, a massive home in Maldon came on the market and she insisted it was to be theirs. It was furnished in fine antiques, thick pile carpets and fabulously decorated.
Brian was not allowed to bring ANYTHING in the home, including himself, until divested of all oil, grease and any kind of bits. His domain remained in the stables building outside where I guess he spent most of his spare time.
Such women are rare. If you find one they are a godsend!
Peter
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This little piston helps keep some of my books from falling of the shelf. I found it on a hillside many years ago and just happened to have a tool kit with me. Big end bolts were impossible to move so a hacksaw liberated it form the remains of the crankshaft.

Peter

Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My situation is rather different. I have never been allowed to bring any car parts into the house unless they are delivered by post and are heading for the garage. I am in trouble if I bring anything indoors that looks or smells a bit "oily".

In a demonstration of Women's logic, however, my wife sees no problem in filling the house with her "keep fit" equipment. There are two bicycles indoors; a road bike in the dining room and a hybrid bike in the back porch. In the spare bedroom one is confronted with a set of rollers (that the bike goes on) and various other pieces of gym equipment including an exercise bike and other stuff like weights, Nordic walking poles, running shoes, etc.

It would seem that if one's wife is a fitness fanatic all the rules that prevent garage stuff being brought indoors don't apply to apparently "clean" exercise equipment.

Funny how DIY tools are permitted if work on the house is needed though!

WOMEN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: