classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

"Doctors Coupe"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Miken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: "Doctors Coupe" Reply with quote

I understand what a coupe car is. But I often see old cars for sale advertised as a "Doctors Coupe".
Were cars ever manufactured or advertised from new in this form or is it a salesman's term to make a run of the mill car sound a bit more classy?
Mike
goneps

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that a Doctor's Coupe (note the apostrophe!) is a two-seater closed body, ie. no rear seating or dickey seat. In other words, suitable for a doctor making his rounds rather than as a family car.

Richard
Peter_L

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goneps wrote:
My understanding is that a Doctor's Coupe (note the apostrophe!) is a two-seater closed body, ie. no rear seating or dickey seat. In other words, suitable for a doctor making his rounds rather than as a family car. Richard

That is my understanding too, also similar comes up via Google.
I hadn't heard of the term until I moved to Canada and saw one described as such at a car show. Maybe it is more of a North American Continent phrase.
mikeC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterwpg wrote:
... Maybe it is more of a North American Continent phrase.

No, the term has definitely been used since the 1920s in the UK.

I don't believe it was ever used by manufacturers (or coachbuilders) as a catalogued name, but it seems to have been adopted quite early.

I agree with the comments above: a fixed-head coupe, usually what Americans call a three window coupe, no back seat, and a boot but not a dickie seat. In more recent times the term is also regularly used -erroneously, I believe - for five window coupes with a back seat, coupes with dickie seats, and even drop-head coupes.
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was already a term used with horse drawn coupe's
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you can have "golfer's coupe", with its opening hatch in the side of the body.

Was a "business coupe" similar to a "doctor's coupe" then? ie with no rear seat?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ashley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a business coupe was for reps, so lots of room for luggage and samples, but only two seats.
52classic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, you're right about the 'Golfer's Coupe.' I saw one exhibited at the NEC a few years ago. A pre-war car with a top vented windscreen, dickie seat (presumably to carry one's own Caddy) but most importantly, a compartment accessible from outside to take a set of clubs horizontally, behind the front seats.

Clubs to be Hickory shafted of course and plus fours a must to be worn.
petelang

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of our beloved old pre war cars may not have started out as coupe's but a lot have ended up as hen coupe's in barns.
Peter
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier business coupes tended to be three windows, with either two seats or a single bench seat, and a very long boot. When three windows lost their popularity business coupes were based on the five window, but without the back seat, quite often where the back seat would have been there was a flat deck for displaying samples. Dodge was a bit unusual it was probably the the last company to offer a three window three passenger coupe, that would have been in the 1940's
A few companies offered a business sedan. A two door sedan with a display deck instead of a back seat. Plymouth listed a business coupe as late as 1959. Business coupes and sedans would always have been the part of the cheapest line a company offered.

How long would the samples last on display, in the U.K. today?
Mikey77

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always understood that 'doctors' coupes' were a bit flash and named for the sort of people who could afford something a bit above the ordinary run of the mill.
Back in the mid '60s my family doctor - in whose waiting room I first read Motor Sport and kindled my lifelong interest - had two, I suppose you would have called them, an MGB GT and a Sunbeam Talbot 90. Odd thing was, I never saw him drive either of them at more than about 35mph...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: