classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Severn Bridge at 50
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Severn Bridge at 50 Reply with quote

Hi
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07tmmwy/the-severn-bridge-at-50-
a-high-wire-act

Available for 29 days with some good shots of the old ferries.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK has quite the history of bridge building and it continues. I have seen so many of them over the years. When I lived in Barnsley, I made several trips to watch construction of the Humber Bridge.
emmerson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, but unfortunately I can't watch it!
Whilst I was away in France they've made it necessary to have a TV licence to watch BBC iPlayer!
As I haven't got a TV, I'm not buying a licence. Meanies!
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
Whilst I was away in France they've made it necessary to have a TV licence to watch BBC iPlayer!

Have you tried? I pulled something up on the iplayer the day after this was announced and clicked the box saying "yes I have a TV licence" (or words to that effect) but there was no apparent verification step beyond that - I was expecting to have to type in an address or similar. I suspect they might just be flying a kite with this one, and actually have no means of checking or enforcing it.

PS I know you're not a teenager any more, but are you anywhere near getting a free licence yet? Once you hit 75 you only have to ask for it - they check up using the electoral roll, I believe - but you won't get it automatically.
47Jag

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB,

At renewal time you tell 'them' you are now 75 and they give you a refund from your birthday to renewal date.

Art
Peter_L

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to do with the Severn Bridge, or any other bridge for that matter, but having had 50+ years of the BBC in the UK and 15 Years of US and Canadian TV. I would love to be able to pay the licence fee and get rid of the 400 channels of &^&*&%%.. with adverts every 7 minutes. 15 minutes of TV shows that fill an hour of viewing. Seldom we watch anything live, we use the PVR.

on the subject of bridges, does anyone remember the Wentbridge viaduct being built (A1). It was a popular location to go with Mum and Dad on a Sunday.
mikeC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:

I'm in the same boat Crying or Very sad

I've now deleted iPlayer from my favourites ...
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
BB,

At renewal time you tell 'them' you are now 75 and they give you a refund from your birthday to renewal date.

Art

Yes, I know - sorted it out for my dad a couple of years ago.I didn't really expect them to pay up on the refund, was amazed when it eventually came through.
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I just bought one to cover me until my 75th in Feb. First licence for about35yrs.
They asked for my NI number and then just charged me for the relevant period

Straight 6
V8 V10
emmerson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
emmerson wrote:

Have you tried? I pulled something up on the iplayer the day after this was announced and clicked the box saying "yes I have a TV licence" (or words to that effect) but there was no apparent verification step beyond that - I was expecting to have to type in an address or similar. I suspect they might just be flying a kite with this one, and actually have no means of checking or enforcing it.

PS I know you're not a teenager any more, but are you anywhere near getting a free licence yet? Once you hit 75 you only have to ask for it - they check up using the electoral roll, I believe - but you won't get it automatically.

BB, I don't quite make it for the free one by a couple of years, but Herself does, so I'll get her to apply. In the meantime, I'll try your of "lying" about it!!!
emmerson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "lied" about my licence and it worked! Now I'll wait for the licence police to knock on my door.
Great programme, too. Very Happy
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this thread due to something I've just read. We all know that when the Severn bridge opened the ferries stopped operating, but does anyone remember the motorail - type* services taking cars through the Severn tunnel? Apparently it ceased operating, like the ferries, when the bridge opened. I first heard about it many years ago when one of the teachers at school was reminiscing and have come across a few passing references in print since then, but no detail at all.

*I say motorail - type as the name, apparently, wasn't coined until a few years after this particular service ended, but you'll know what I mean.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
Bumping this thread due to something I've just read. We all know that when the Severn bridge opened the ferries stopped operating, but does anyone remember the motorail - type* services taking cars through the Severn tunnel? Apparently it ceased operating, like the ferries, when the bridge opened. I first heard about it many years ago when one of the teachers at school was reminiscing and have come across a few passing references in print since then, but no detail at all.

*I say motorail - type as the name, apparently, wasn't coined until a few years after this particular service ended, but you'll know what I mean.

Motorail Transport was discussed in this OCC thread

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16326&highlight=motorail

Also some information here and others via Google "motorail"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorail_(British_Rail)
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The severn tunnel operation was a car shuttle. Introduced in the 20"s by GWR.
I can't do the link on this tablet but google car shuttle wiki instead of Motorail.

Straight 6
V8 V10
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched this programme a couple of weeks ago, very interesting. I hadn't realised for example that the road bed is made of sections of hollow steel, and engineers can climb into the hollow section and walk along inside the section, which they regularly do to inspect for cracking, rust and so on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: