classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

suicide doors
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
rjt10/4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: suicide doors Reply with quote

what are peoples experience with suicide doors I remember my dad had a Morris 8 e that would never get back from Brighton without the door flying open to my knowledge the Rover p4 was the last car made with suicide doors
Keith D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Riley RM series had the rear hinged doors on the front. My brother almost lost his lady friend when she used the door handle instead of the window winder. The door flew back and damaged the hinges as well as putting a nasty dent in the rear mudguard. Fortunately he was able to grab her arm while he stopped the car.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entry and exit was supposed to be easier with rear hinged doors. My SS has all the doors rear hinged but I can't say that I agree with this first assertion. It's neither easier nor more difficult, just different.

Peter
mikeC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, presumably you don't wear a tight skirt? I think the idea was that it was easier to enter and exit for a lady wearing fashionable clothes - it was possible to sit on the seat and then insert both legs together, whereas with a front-hinged door the usual technique is to insert one leg, then follow with body and second leg ...
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The modern-day R-R Phantom has suicide doors to the rear compartment, if that counts?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeC wrote:
Peter, presumably you don't wear a tight skirt?

Hi Mike,

I am a Scotsman (seen here at my daughter's wedding).

Peter Wink

p.s. I must admit this is the only time that I wore the kilt.

petelang

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's quite some wedding Peter. Was the open top bus for the guests?
Peter
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a big wedding but the photos are deceptive. It was in St Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh which is centrally located in the High Street. In fact most of the wedding guests were already in the cathedral and the crowd were simply tourists interested in what was going on. The open top bus was unconnected but the coaches behind the wedding cars (below) were to transfer the guests to the reception.

My cousin kindly agreed to act as chauffeur for my car and a friend who owned the black car (in the photo below) kindly agreed to do the same for the bridesmaids.

Peter

Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely photos. I'm sure everyone knows, but Rolls-Royce bought a 3.5litre version of one of PF,those SS to compare with the Derby Bentley. The thatter was £1400 with arguably less well proportioned coachwork by Mulliner and the Jaguar was £400. They couldn't really fault it. I saw the works report on it some years ago.

However they did drive it round Brooklands flat out until it dropped a valve and then sent a bill for £40.00 to William Lyons asking him to honour the guarantee. Luckily he knew what they'd been up to and declined.
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ashley,

The pictures date from 16 years ago. My friend David standing beside the black car restored it over a period many years. The car is a 3.5 litre and was a "company car" for Arthur Whittaker who had been purchasing manager and became Deputy Chairman of SS Cars. David sold it more than 10 years ago but it came up for sale again recently and was bought by Whittaker's three granddaughters.

http://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auctions/2017-03-04/cars/ref-36-1948-jaguar-mk-iv,-35-litre-saloon.aspx

https://www.jaguarmagazine.com/jaguar-directors-grandchildren-buy-mkiv-saloon/

Peter
mikeC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Peter, I was hoping for a response like that Laughing
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suicide door story:-
In 1960 my first car was a '48 Jaguar 2 1/2 litre saloon and I would drive anyone anywhere for petrol money. A friend who owned the cafe we hung around had asked me to take his wife and new baby to his in-laws about 30 miles away. That part of the job was uneventful but I had to go back in the afternoon and bring the wife and baby home. He decides he is going to to come with me and as we are bowling along he asks "what will she do?" I said "the TON". He says "show me". So the boot goes to the board, we are on a dual carriageway heading downhill and as the speedo climbs near the indicated 100mph (probably a true 80) the bu**er pulls the door handle thinking it's the window handle Shocked The car does an almost immediate left turn with me on opposite lock and hard on the brakes. Fortunately the check strap broke, slamming the door into the rear door and neutralising the drag. After what seemed like an eternity I got the car stopped and asked in best Anglo Saxon what he thought he was playing at. He told me he wanted to flick his fag out of the window. I pointed out the two ashtrays on the dash and the big hole where the sun-roof was open. I think I was paid £1 plus an extra pound for a replacement door from the 'scrappie'.

Art
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely one of the last car made with suicide doors was the Mazda RX8? I was out in one the other week and amazed when I saw we had hit the rev limiter at 9,000rpm.

Then I remember the Vauxhalls which had suicide doors, as did so many cars back when I had all my marbles and played with them.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early FIAT 500s & 650s [late 1950's] had suicide doors..IIRC?
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Don't the RX8 and other moderns with the rear doors hinged to the rear require that the front door(front hinged) to be open before the rear door is opened?
If so, they don't really fit the bill as suicide doors.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: