classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Small Ford Spares [Paul Beck]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Small Ford Spares [Paul Beck] Reply with quote

Small Ford Spares [in particular, to me], which are part of Paul Beck's spares business, are to close later this year.

https://www.smallfordspares.co.uk/

Retirement is the reason, I wish him well.

This will be a great loss to me, especially, as, over the years I have come to rely on SFS for sidevalve Ford items, cheap & expensive , many times.

I have also benefited from advice and help many times as well, [from Paul?]

Whilst the FSOC does carry a large stock of spares, comparatively-speaking, some of the larger items are more costly than similar from SFS, I have to say.

Many of the Aquaplane items were only available through SFS....and they also supplied modified items such as conrods, machined for shell bearings...

Thus far [the business has been up for sale for some time].....there do not appear to be any takers on the horizon.

My fear is...if the business is disposed of piecemeal, then many Ford sidevalve spares will get their prices hiked to Aston Martin levels?

Which will be a shame, and somewhat counter to the original Ford ethos?

SO, I suggest, get your lists made up whilst there's still time??
GARAGE HERMIT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noticed SFS were closing down too, just ordered all the aquaplane gear i wanted, and a lot of other sidevalve part's, before it's too late,
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I heard this I called my mate who knows Paul Beck and used to make prototype parts for him in the past. I wanted to check that he had, and if not picked up the parts I wanted, get an aquaplane inlet manifold pronto. But he has picked up all the parts and just needs to make some lower mounts to go with the upright shock conversion upper brackets he already has. I was thinking to not bother with upright shocks but now he has the parts I will have them.
He said Paul beck has been winding down for some time now, would be good if someone steps in and carries it forward. If not will get looking for some discounted bits. Rear upright shock conversion has been reduced.

Last edited by Paul fairall on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a shame but maybe people don't see it as a profitable business to take on?
Ashley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that Paul (me too) and his customers are all past retirement age and so is that part of the classic car movement. If we assume up to 1960 that's less than 15% of the Classic car business.
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has a 'special offers' page up & running....and seems to be adding new items very regularly

For example, today, when I checked, he had Aquaplane 10hp cylinder heads priced at less-VAT prices....[or similar]

Well under £300!!!

Worth me keeping an eye on the website? Smile
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley wrote:
I'm guessing that Paul (me too) and his customers are all past retirement age and so is that part of the classic car movement. If we assume up to 1960 that's less than 15% of the Classic car business.

How dare you sir, I'm only 62 years young, ok 63 in a couple of weeks and looking forward to retirement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: