classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

The Austin Maxi. Good, bad or indifferent?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ellis

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: The Austin Maxi. Good, bad or indifferent? Reply with quote

[img]

It's difficult to believe that the Austin Maxi is 47 years old.
1969 saw the unveiling of the Ford Capri, the Fiat 128, the Wolseley 18/85 Mk2 , the demise of the old halfpenny and the opening of the first B&Q DIY store in Southampton. And the Austin Maxi was offered to the British car buying public.

A friend of my parents bought one the first in this area in August 1969, RCA 573H (I think) in a colour similar to Almond Green with a green vinyl interior.
To my eyes it looked dull inside particularly the dashboard but it was spacious inside.
He must have been pleased with it because it was followed by two more in 1972 and 1975 respectively, the latter a 1750cc. I don't remember him complaining about the first two but the third leaked water into the cabin.

The last new one I remember was bought in August 1981 by a Forestry Commission employee here in the village. By then it was "Maxi 2" and his was a 1750 HL in a champagne metallic. The number was DJC **X, I don't remember the numbers, and it was pre registered with a big saving.

[/img]

The Maxi served him well for five years but unreliability in the last year led him to change it for a Ford Fiesta.

Much has been written about the Maxi, the initial problems with the cable gearchange and that it never sold in the numbers BL expected. A disappointment in fact.

But, was it as bad as bar room sages of 25 years ago maintained?
I never drove one but was a passenger in a few and one journey in a " P" registered 1750 HL with the twin carbs was memorable for it's rapidity.

An elderly gentleman owned an "M" registered 1750L until very recently.
It was in a beigey colour, Harvest Gold I think, and he only sold it because he needed a car with power steering.
I don't recall him having any difficulty selling it privately.

Austin, later Leyland Maxi - good, bad or indifferent?

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been in one so can't comment with any firsthand experience, although I've no desire to own one. Saying that, if I found a 200 mile example of an early one in a shed somewhere, I'd rescue it.

A 1969 copy of High Road magazine, a BLMC publication, gave it a lot of coverage in May of that year: http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/blmc-magazine.htm

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
kevin2306

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never owned one but the (late) father in law had one and loved it.
Always struck me that it looked a very practical car and still looks usable to date.
There is a bright red one for sale near the old Walton Hospital in Liverpool.

Kev
norustplease

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two, both 1750's and found them excellent and rather underrated. Performance was good and the fifth gear, a rarity then, made for a good motorway cruising. Interior space like most of the Issigonis derivatives was excellent, and as an unexpected bonus, traction in the snow was remarkable and saved my bacon on several winter drives in the Peak District where I was based at the time, when everyone else was stuck.

Aesthetically nothing remarkable, but functionally extremely good, and no major mechanical hiccups.

Having said that, I wouldn't particularly seek one out now, as an addition to my classics stable.
Boring Tucson SUV
Dipster

Location: UK, France and Portugal - unless I am travelling....

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to drive a 1500 London to Bristol return when they were brand new. Apart from the gearchange it was OK. Not really exciting to drive as I recall but I doubt that excitement was in the original spec when it was on the drawing board! It struck me as a roomy useful family car that had the advantages of a smallish estate.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had one and wasn't a fan of the engineering.... but I did like the concept. We have had crossover's now for many years and find them very practical, I just wish that manufacturers would maintain 49" minimum between the wheel arches and through the rear hatch. Handy for trips to the DIY stores.
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 2 when I had a young family and a dog. Both of mine were post the cable change gearbox. Apart from unexpectedly high oil consumption They were extremely practical cars that should have done better. I fully concur with the statement about snow. I lived in the Heads of the Valley area in South Wales then and we had several interesting winters. The Maxi was marvelous! In the age of the hatchback it is difficult to realise that back in the 1970s-80s if you wanted a 5 door car that was not a lumbering estate you had the limited choice of a Maxi or a Renault 16.
JohnDale

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Father had a nice metallic blue one but never got to grips with the gear change. Strangely,same as the first post, he also changed it for a Fiesta,in a delicate shade of orange,cheers,JD.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnDale wrote:
My Father had a nice metallic blue one but never got to grips with the gear change. Strangely,same as the first post, he also changed it for a Fiesta,in a delicate shade of orange,cheers,JD.

Your Father should not have worried, the gear change never really got to grips with the gearbox. Laughing
exbmc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Maxi Reply with quote

I never actually owned a Maxi, but working at a main dealers, I worked on and drove many of them. The early cable gearchange models were difficult sometimes. The later single rod was a great improvement. They were very popular with the staff, and believe it or not, were very reliable.
Yes, any of the transverse engine problems, that afflicted the fwd range could strike, like oily clutch, loose flywheel nut etc. In the main though, the Maxi seemed well put together, compared to the other BL stuff.
Quite revolutionary in 1968, 5 doors and 5 gears as the advertising went.
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a maxi but similar and also under rated,I had an Austin 1800. During a bad winter (cant remember the year) I drove happily round in the snow when virtually all other cars were stuck on hills etc.
Ashley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconsdozen wrote:
Not a maxi but similar and also under rated,I had an Austin 1800. During a bad winter (cant remember the year) I drove happily round in the snow when virtually all other cars were stuck on hills etc.

Me too, an 1800s, so it sounded like and MGB and was probably slower but an excellent car once I'd had the flimsy seat frame welded back together and strengthened. The previous owner was a fatty.
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got to correct you exbmc, my maxis never suffered from a loose flywheel nut as the good folks at BMC fitted the flywheel conventionally with 4 nice high tensile bolts!
peppiB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconsdozen wrote:

Some of us still use the 1800 as an everyday car. Great machines.

In 1973 I test drove a Maxi and found the 'pudding stirrer' gearchange offputting so didn't buy. (I remember the date as my NSU 1000CS was written off in December 1972)
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1800 must rate as a rare car by now,I can't remember the last time I saw one in use or even at a show.
One abiding memory is the sheer size of the inside,more room than many much larger cars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: