classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Can Anyone I.D. this 1920s English (?) car engine ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rusty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Can Anyone I.D. this 1920s English (?) car engine ? Reply with quote

G'Day Blokes,
I have been trying to identify what this engine is for several years now, but so far no luck. It is a small overhead valve 4 cylinder of about 1000 cc, give or take a bit with a 2 bearing crankshaft, (like in an Austin 7) . It has a casting date of 1925 cast into the head under the rocker arm assembly. The reason I think it is most likely English is that it has "Lucas" magneto, starter, and dynamo fitted. The dynamo and magneto are unusual in that they are internaly chain driven from the front chest of the engine, and the dynamo and starter also both have traces of nickel plating on them sugesting that it may be an engine that was dressed up when new. The crankcase and sump are both quite large aluminium castings, the crankcase itself has a well ventilated bell housing and a matching aluminium cased 3 speed gearbox with an offset to one side cluster gear that looks like it was done that way to lift the bottom profile of the gearbox to pass floor boards underneath the box. It can't be for ground clearance because the sump hangs a lot lower than the gearbox.

Anyone got any ideas what it may be ?

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg295/veitchy-photo/cutLHprofile-1.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg295/veitchy-photo/RHprofilecut-1.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg295/veitchy-photo/Rearviewcutallygearbox-1.jpg

I have been trying for several years to find out what it may be, and recently a contact in the UK had one of his friends suggest it may have been a "Gwynne 8" but after looking into it, (with the help of some very good blokes from the Gwynne comunity) that was a dead end so I am looking around again ! This engine is in very sad order but does have a lot of usable parts on it so if anyone even has a thought about what it "might" be could you let me know, I don't mind chasing up a plausable suggestion that turns out not to be correct. Another fellow sugested it could be made on the continent as Lucas sold a lot of electrical components there at that time, so if you have a French, Italian or whatever suggestion I don't mind checking them out either.

Thanks fellers,
Graham
Keith D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Graham,

Can't help you with your inquiry, but welcome to another sand groper! All my vintage stuff are side valves!

Keith
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passing thought! - 1920s Humbers used this type of engine construction and were of about the right capacity, but I thought most were coil ignition.
PAUL
Rusty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Keith for the welcome, it's always nice to be "found out" by another sandgroper !

Paul,
I did check out Humber some time ago as Humber, Swift and Gwynne all seemed to fit the specifications but unless there is a model I havn't found out about it looks like it is something else.

This is a picture of a Humber 8/18 engine , the later 9/20 is very simmilar.

I borrowed this photo from a very well written website belonging to a Belgian chap named Bruno Costers, showing the restoration of his Humber, and although the specifications are simmilar it is a totaly different design.
I will just put this one here so its easy to compare.

Thanks for trying, I never mind checking something it may be out even if it proves not to be the one.

Graham
jonpe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham,
Have a look at these pictures of my 1925 rover 9/20 engine. It is a 1074cc and looks like your engine. I can take further photos if you require to confirm, these pictures were taken last night in my garage so are not the best. I have also included a picture of the car as well.

[/img]
Jon
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum jon Smile

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
jonpe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks rick, I have been looking at the site for a while now and thought it was time to contribute
Rusty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKYOU JON,

"YOU LITTLE RIPPER" Very Happy Very Happy

I think you may have nailed it, it certainly looks very likely from what I could see in your photos ! Does the rest of the description fit with your engine ?

I remember looking "Rover" up in "Wicky" earlyer on while I was trying to ID it but something in the specifications there made me discount it as a possibility, but that looks very like what this is. Could I trouble you for a couple of daytime photos when you get time.

Are they a very plentiful vehicle in the UK, I don't think I have ever seen one out here but you can bet I will be making some enquiries to find out if any are arround. It certainly is a handsome car, a real classic period piece, I hope this does turn out to be out of one.

Rick,
by the way, thanks for the site, this is the best site I have found in a long time, I recon I will hang around a bit too now that I have found it,

A very apreciative, Very Happy Very Happy
Graham
47p2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Graham, there are a few 9s in Oz

Here is a picture which I was sent, these were taken a few years ago now at West Pennant Hills

The easiest way to find an owner is to contact one of the Rover Clubs of which there are a few
jonpe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham,
Great news, yes the description you described is the same as my engine. I will pull the car out of the garage over the weekend and take some more photos of the engine and gear box for you.
These cars are quite rare over here in the uk and there are only a handful know. My car came over here in 1999 from Australia after being sent out as a rolling chassis and bodied by steenbhoms of Sydney.
Jon
Rusty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jon I would apreciate that,
I won't be around for about a week from Sunday, I have a chance to go fishing up North with a couple of my mates for a while (one of them has a big fishing boat) and won't have a computer with me.

I have already contacted some of the blokes who have been trying to help me ID this and let them know that it looks like I have finaly found out what it is, and looking at your photos I am almost certain it is a "9".
After I answered your original posting I went back and had a look at why I discounted Rover as a likely maker and I think the reason was I found specs for the Rover "8" and of cource 2 cyl horizontal air cooled, and as it was about the size I was looking at and there was no specs for the "9" I think I assumed that they were simmilar design. "Big Mistake"

Anyway, thanks for the information,
Graham
jonpe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham,
So that you can confirm that it is your engine here are the other photos.

Looking at these pictures has made me realise the enginge bay needs a clean.
Jon
Mog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos ! But how did a fuel injection hose get on a vintage car ??? Ugh !!!
jonpe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought by fitting a fuel injection hose it would give her a little more power Very Happy . It was used as a temporary repair when the original hose let go but I just have not got around to changing it.
Rusty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou very much for those photos Jon, there is no question that is "definatly" what it is ! Those photos are as clear as a bell, there is no question at all. Very Happy Very Happy

I am going to forward a couple of your photos on to a friend who is very active in our VCC (veteran car club) who thinks he knows a couple of Rover types that will most likely know a bit about the model now that we have identified what it is. He doesn't know if there are any of the cars out here but thinks that the blokes he knows will know if there are any here in Western Australia.

I must apologise for not posting thanks when you sent in the photos but I was a way until several hours ago, I may as well have stayed, it blew that much that we could hardly get the boat out but at least it was a nice break.

Thanks again
Graham
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: