classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Smokin'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Miken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Smokin' Reply with quote

Ive recently got my 1927 Cowley back on the road after an engine rebuild where just about everything that can wear has been replaced.
I've been using it for the 10 mile trip to work and it goes very nicely.
However it does a strange thing when I first set off from home.
I live at the top of a very steep hill.
When I start up in the morning I drive about 400 metres down to the bottom of the hill where I wait to enter the roundabout and join the main road.
As I pull away it starts to emit a lot of thick grey oily smoke as I go round the roundabout then clears after about 50-70 meters.
After that its fine and doesn't do it again.
The oil level on the dipstick has hardly fallen in the 500 mile since the last oil change so im not worried (its just a bit embarrassing when there is a lot of traffic about).
Any ideas why it does this?
Im thinking that all the oil in the very long sump sloshes to the front of the engine as I go downhill and then gets splashed up the front cylinder .
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it do it when you get back from work and immediately drive back down the hill ?

I don't know the hill, but have you tried it, by stopping on the hill, both directions, and then moving off.
Miken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterwpg wrote:
Does it do it when you get back from work and immediately drive back down the hill ?

I don't know the hill, but have you tried it, by stopping on the hill, both directions, and then moving off.

I've just got back from work and did as you suggested on the way home.
I stopped halfway up the hill and counted to 20.When I pulled away there was no smoke.
I got to the top and turned around and went back down the hill. Still no smoke.
Strange.
mikeC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowing smoke out after a descent is usually a sign of worn valve guides - the suction on a closed throttle pulls oil through the guides and then it's burned off when you accelerate at the bottom of the hill. But that doesn't explain it only occurring with a cold engine; keep an eye on it an see whether it occurs under other downhill circumstances, but it may settle down as you build up a bit of carbon in the combustion chambers ...
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you leave your house can you turn in the opposite direction, avoid the hill, and let it run a bit before navigating the said incline.

There is another option, move house... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a 'cold metal' issue?

Try starting from cold, then leaving it to idle until the 'gauge' registers? Then try the same journey, see what happens?

Might be a case of 'marginal' dimensions on the valve stems, or guides?

Possibly because the car is old, it needs that 'first fag-of-the-day'....and a good cough, before being ready to face the world? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: