classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ever had a go at concours prep & competition?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rusty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never have, but I gave a mate who had just finished restoring an early 70s mach 1 mustang a hand to prep his for a concourse because he had never had anything to do with one and didn't know what was involved. We didn't go to the lengths some of you are talking about but it did come up quite well and ended up getting second in its class. I tried to talk him into putting his original steel rims and tyres with original trims and hubcaps back onto it because he had fitted repo period mags to it, but he wouldn't have any of that because he considered it "looked" a lot better with the alloys on it and that cost him winning the day. I don't think he fully comprehended how the points system was applied in a concourse although I tried to explain he would lose a couple of points for a couple of very minor scratches on 2 of his hubcaps but would pick up a lot for having the correct wheels whereas the alloys would be penalised heavily for non originality. I think he enjoyed the day but decided he didn't really want to get involved that deeply so has only put the car in the "show and shine" since then.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
I remember being told of an MGB that was prep'd for concours, to the extent that none of the nuts and bolts were tightened up fully underneath in case it cracked the paint. I assume (hope) it was a trailer queen.

RJ

The story has been told about virtually every make Rick, but it actually happened at Laguna Seca. The concours event includes a drive around the Monterey peninsula and one car refused for this very reason. Not sure of the marque, but whatever you can be sure it was a high-end car.
Ashley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son does it most days, he has the ex B Bira Derby Bentley at Pebble Beach this year and he got a third last year with the Mulliner Derby Coupe known as the Honeymoon Express.

Here's a Bristol 400 he's nearly finished.

An AC Ace Bristol

And a friend's 1925 Austin 12 Tourer, which is regarded as the best example there is. It's as a motor show car would have been.

Penman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
No trailer queens here, but they still look great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyVl_-xS1bQ

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well filmed too.

Peter
gillberry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gentleman who did the restoration on our Amazon hates doing them as everything has to be exact all the nuts bolts the same way so often they will not run right and be trailered to shows so they do not get dirty.
We were at a show once where a man had a cotton wool bud cleaning the dip switch and someone else took the wheels off to clean underneath.
We were also told that some people even polish the air in the tyres 😮
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gillberry wrote:

We were also told that some people even polish the air in the tyres 😮

which reminds me.... years back when smoking was the norm....

1st prize (concours) was lost because the depth of ash across the ashtray wasn't uniform...
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do wonder how any judge can be an expert across a range of car makes and models, say from the pre-war years. The finish of various generic items can be established I imagine, but for items specific to a particular make/model/year etc it must make for some very interesting conversations during a round of judging. Especially with the vehicle owner(s)!!!

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
52classic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take my hat off to concours entrants but I don't envy them.

I recall seeing a 1600e Club concours judging, one year at Malvern. 2 cars 6 months apart in manufacture ----- One owner claimed that the other was using the wrong colour of anti freeze and the retort was that the date of build for the first car required the under seal to have a slightly bronze tint to it, not straight black! Too serious by far IMHO.

Personally I prefer to see a car looking lightly used, just a touch of patina, purely for amusement we pick a date then build to that. The Chevrolet for example is 1977 but is displayed as it was in 1980 complete with Reagan/Bush election stickers. Just a bit of showmanship!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: