classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Electric milk floats
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
CWhaley1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
I spotted one in Long Eaton a year or two back, they were common once upon a time when the Co-Op had a large fleet in the town but they stopped years ago, this looked like an enterprising one man band operation. There is still a demand for milk deliveries, despite what the big firms think.

I was looking through old posts and was surprised to see mention of this good old Midland town (I live next door to it).

There is still an electric milk float going in Long Eaton and there are lots of people (of all ages) having milk delivered by it or the other delivery firms. In fact, my 32-year-old friend has been delivered for Dairy Crest for ten years now.

Appreciate this is an old thread, but there's nothing wrong with an update five years on!
bjacko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject: Milk Deliveries Reply with quote

When I was about 12 I used to deliver milk by walking with cans for about an hour close to the farm and then by horse and cart. They were chariot type carts with two wheels. I started at 7am and finished about midday on Sat and Sun and got the princely wage of 20 pence for each morning.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How we got onto electric milk floats, I don't know but it has brought back memories of my childhood. Back then what I wanted more than anything was a racing bike ...so I became a Milkman's assistant (before school) for which I was paid two shillings a day (or10 p in new money Razz ).

They were very early morning starts and in the dark of winter when it was freezing cold the glass bottles would numb your fingers. At least I got paid more than doing a Paper Round - which I did in the evenings. Rolling Eyes

My Dad used to tell stories about how different life was in the 'thirties. He remembered the milk being delivered by horse and cart. The horse didn't like standing about waiting for the Milkman and would sometimes trot off back towards the depot; Dad remembered the guy running down the street after the float shouting obscenities at the wayward horse!!

As soon as they became available United Dairies in Woking bought a fleet of electric milk floats. The problem was that they came without any lights. My Dad's first job was to wire up lighting to the milk floats.

They may not have had much in the way of character but they at least they had the advantage of staying exactly where they were left!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: