classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Bad driving.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my first post I did question whether they were instructed by the police to drive on the pavement as I believe someone else said. I wasn't condemning them as this wasn't clear. But some here are defending them driving on the pavement, if indeed they were. Having read some of the early posts it seems they were driving on the pavement, but apparently that's fine if you drive an old car.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
In my first post I did question whether they were instructed by the police to drive on the pavement as I believe someone else said. I wasn't condemning them as this wasn't clear. But some here are defending them driving on the pavement, if indeed they were. Having read some of the early posts it seems they were driving on the pavement, but apparently that's fine if you drive an old car.

No one is defending the driving of a car - veteran or otherwise - on the pavement.

I believe you are being deliberately obtuse because the essence of my post was to show how driving on the pavement is detrimental to our hobby and the London to Brighton run. The question of how best to handle the offenders is out with our control but adverse publicity has the potential to damage the rights of us all to drive old cars on the public highway.
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
While a significant part of the HC is a Best Practice, Code of Conduct, a large part is also Legal Requirements.
Rule 145. states
You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain
lawful access to property, or in the case of an emergency.
Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & RTA 1988 sect 34

So, unless those vehicles have expired, this is plainly a legal contravention and is a matter for the police to deal with.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, it certainly looked like you were defending their actions to me. There was a post early on that seemed to be from a member of the public complaining about the cars on the pavement and almost being hit. Whoever was involved should be more than given a quiet word, these people are not doing old car owners any favours. That's my two penneth, I will say no more about it.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOR THE RECORD. I HAVE NOT, DO NOT, AND WILL NOT DEFEND ANYONE DRIVING ON THE PAVEMENT. AS A LONG TERM MEMBER OF THE IAM IT MATTERS TO ME WHICH IS WHY I INSTITUTED THIS THREAD. I AM WELL AWARE THAT THIS IS BREAKING THE LAW BUT MY ASSERTION IS THAT THE THREAT OF A BAN FROM FUTURE VCC EVENTS CARRIES MORE WEIGHT THAN A SLAP ON THE WRIST BY A MAGISTRATE.

AS I SAID. DELIBERATELY OBTUSE.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pax, chaps, pax - we're all friends here.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
I assume these " push bike riders " you talk of are professional cyclists with the uci behind them. A bunch of old duffers driving antiquated " cars " don't command enough interest for advertisers to fund events. The most you see of the London to Brighton is a few seconds on the news. If they continue to drive on the pavement, they may get more exposure, ah maybe that was the idea.

No...I refer specifically to cycling events organised by local clubs, not involving [to my knowledge] professional riders. Road closure is fairly commonplace, for the duration of a particular event. However, living as I have done on some of these temporarily-closed roads, whilst I have 'been informed', I have never received a PR visit from an organiser. This is the opposite to what motor sporting event organisers have to go through. With the cycle events..it isn't just the cyclists....but the inconvenience created by their hangers-on, support personnel, etc, and the parking of their motor vehicles. Nowt worse than a bunch of farting lycra-clads shouting and swearing at each other at the tops of their voices, whilst riding past one's home.

Not sure whether entrants to the Brighton Run would all be categorised as 'duffers'....? Even if some of the drivers are quite old [they probably started decades ago as teenagers?], they seem to be displaying all the traits of a modern young driver.....with all the disrespect for others that has become commonplace today? I hope the Veteran CC investigates..as I am sure other clubs would in similar circumstances.

The Brighton Run was once a welcome spectacle [and it used to attract enormous publicity, especially darn sarf.]....it really would be a shame if it suffered more adverse publicity.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear oh dear oh dear! Calm down people! It seems to me that today if there is the slightest chance to criticize people for no matter what we are so quick to take umbrage. Looking at the participants I am pretty sure that they would have been told to use the pavement here, and anyway - were people killed or injured? I don't think so. Please try and remember the antics you got up to years ago, riding bikes on pavements, riding your motor bikes like an idiot, driving well over the limit, and all the other things we did when life was freer and easier. I remember doing the ton on my Gold Star on the A3, I remember drinking and driving before 1967 (and after if it must be admitted) I acknowledge not wearing a seat belt, and I admit to driving without an MOT and tax. My first transgression I guess was driving my Morris 8 (it failed the MOT in 1960 and was left at our place by my uncle) on the road at the age of 14, so I am as guilty as the next person, but I just grin and think of what I did and let things be. Let he who cast the first stone and all that. We need less Victor Meldrews frankly.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Paul fairall wrote:
I assume these " push bike riders " you talk of are professional cyclists with the uci behind them. A bunch of old duffers driving antiquated " cars " don't command enough interest for advertisers to fund events. The most you see of the London to Brighton is a few seconds on the news. If they continue to drive on the pavement, they may get more exposure, ah maybe that was the idea.

No...I refer specifically to cycling events organised by local clubs, not involving [to my knowledge] professional riders. Road closure is fairly commonplace, for the duration of a particular event. However, living as I have done on some of these temporarily-closed roads, whilst I have 'been informed', I have never received a PR visit from an organiser. This is the opposite to what motor sporting event organisers have to go through. With the cycle events..it isn't just the cyclists....but the inconvenience created by their hangers-on, support personnel, etc, and the parking of their motor vehicles. Nowt worse than a bunch of farting lycra-clads shouting and swearing at each other at the tops of their voices, whilst riding past one's home.

Not sure whether entrants to the Brighton Run would all be categorised as 'duffers'....? Even if some of the drivers are quite old [they probably started decades ago as teenagers?], they seem to be displaying all the traits of a modern young driver.....with all the disrespect for others that has become commonplace today? I hope the Veteran CC investigates..as I am sure other clubs would in similar circumstances.

The Brighton Run was once a welcome spectacle [and it used to attract enormous publicity, especially darn sarf.]....it really would be a shame if it suffered more adverse publicity.
unfortunately alastair you live in a beautiful part of the country great for cycle races. Here in Kent there very few cycle events where the roads are closed. Tour de france and the Olympics are just two I remember.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: