classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
consul 57

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spent all afternoon fitting new furflex (furry door trim) to my mk2 consul, can't get the correct stuff any more and the adapted furflex does not quite fit the same, but looks a lot tidyer now.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pumped the fuel out, to see if I can figure out why the tank sender unit isn't showing the correct value. It was showing just over the red section, but I pumped out 22-odd litres before the pump was pulling more air than fuel.

Turns out that the arm had slipped in the rheostat pivot, and was fouling on a casting on the body, limiting its upward movement.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master cylinder re-built, and a very pleasing job too. I was quoted £150 to overhaul it, so did it myself with only paying out £20 for the seal kit.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed the plugs for a higher grade. I was getting too much fouling and have moved from 5's to 6's to run the plugs a bit cooler. Was pleased to find that the run two weeks back of 720 miles in five days had resulted in the use of only half a litre of oil, this including four hill climb runs. Moreover, given the state of tune, I was pleasantly surprised that the overall fuel use was 724 litres. With the hill climbs I thought it might have been higher. Next run is the parade laps of Le Mans a the Classic courtesy of an invite from Jaguar.
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20180704-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Almost finished the repairs on this door now. It has needed an awful lot of work, but with panels being unavailable new, and not very available second hand, there's not been a lot of choice.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the feeling, I've had to repair or make a lot of stuff for mine.

I washed a selection of insects off the front of my cars today, after the trip to Llangollen at the weekend.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight I nipped the Singer to the petrol station to top up with the 97 Ron fuel, then added some additive.
I’m trialling TetraBOOST in the fuel for the first time.
It has good reviews and makes claims of octane boost etc, lets see eh.

https://www.classic-oils.net/TetraBOOST-E-Guard-15

Kev
badhuis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A petrol smell made me to open the bonnet on my TR4 with the engine running. The overflow pipe of the rear SU carburettor was spitting out fuel!
I took off the lid of the float chamber, thinking the needle was stuck. But it was not. Then took out the brass float, and yes - it contained some fuel which means it must have a leak somewhere. But I cannot see it! When putting the float upside down, or shaking, whatever I tried I could not get the fuel escape the float. It remained dry. So it must be a very small hole, with the fuel getting in over a period of time.
It still floats though, I checked, although a little lower on the level. As a temporary measure I bended the forked lever which actions the needle so that the needle would close when the float is lower. This did the trick.

Used the car for getting to work today (round trip of around 230 kilometers) and when checking tonight no fuel escapes. And the engine runs fine. The fuel gauge seemed to move less quickly as well - but this could be me wishing this Very Happy

I have ordered two new floats - the other one will start to leak any time soon as well I guess. And probably when on a trip, without tools, in the night! Very Happy
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin2306 wrote:
Tonight I nipped the Singer to the petrol station to top up with the 97 Ron fuel, then added some additive.
I’m trialling TetraBOOST in the fuel for the first time.
It has good reviews and makes claims of octane boost etc, lets see eh.

https://www.classic-oils.net/TetraBOOST-E-Guard-15

Kev

I've been using this stuff in my Herald for some time now mixed with BP/Esso/Texaco 97RON. Car runs well and pulls very well up hills, and the additive also seems to have a strong preservative effect - which is why I tried it in the first place. I haven't had any issues with stale fuel even when parked up for months on end, whereas straight fuel or other preservative additives gave rise to very poor running after much shorter layups.
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chopped the rest of the grot out of the door I've been working on and finally completed the welding work needed on it today.

20180705-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

20180705-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

With more time and experience I could have done a prettier repair. It'll suffice for a daily driver, which is what this car is, and in the future I can always revisit these repairs and do them nicer should I wish to. Next stage is a lot of dressing back, filler, paint and panel alignment. I'll keep plodding away a few hours a day and it'll be done in no time.
47Jag

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badhuis,

To find a leak in a brass float simply immerse it in warm water. The air inside the float expands and bubbles can then be seen. Usually on the solder joint.

Arti
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the repaired door in paint. It's rather too warm today to be fitting it to the car, so the paint can harden a bit overnight and I shall make that attempt tomorrow. This side should start to look respectable soon.

Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a Wolseley 2200 wedge. A supremely comfortable car with plenty of power and reliable too. Unfortunately it was attacked by a horrible disease and had to go.
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is just the lowly 1700 and it's only just got better after suffering The Usual. I'm not sure I could cope with the luxury of arm rests and power that the Wolseley version offered, too much excitement for me. Wink
badhuis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my father needed a replacement for his Peugeot 404 estate (which was severely rotten) he nearly bought a three years old Princess. My brother and I managed to persuade him to buy a Triumph 2500 TC instead. Which turned out to be a bad example but I did not mind, just got my drivers license and loved that sporty car. My father only had Japanese cars since the unlucky Triumph apart from his last car, a Renault Vel Satis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Page 13 of 121

Jump to: