classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started stripping down door handles, interior that is, on the Vauxhall Ten. I plan to take some as samples to Beaulieu next weekend.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started stripping down door handles, interior that is, on the Vauxhall Ten. I plan to take some as samples to Beaulieu next weekend.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellis wrote:
Some of you may have noticed a change in my signature of vehicles and I can confirm that I have sold my 1954 Land Rover series One 86".

It needed restoration but my priority is to return the 1964 Jaguar Mark 2 to as pristine a condition as I achieved in 1996. I have written of this before but to summarise, every part of the car was restored, rebuilt or reconditioned. I have owned it since June 1991.

However the paintwork micro blistered all over by 1998 and I rather lost interest in the car, disillusionment I think you can say. All that work for something I was not prepared to show anybody.

I started dismantling the car some years ago but work pressures stopped that but I have now restarted.
It will need a new headlining in place of the new one installed in 1996 - mice!
If I disliked mice before my aversion to little b*****s has increased.

I remember Coombes of Guildford transformed the Mk2 and the modifications were not just confined to louvres in the bonnet! If I had a Mk2 needing work I would be tempted to replicate a "Coombes". They only did 30 or so cars and genuine examples fetch far more than the standard Jaguar offering and must be a joy to own.

Worth thinking about?
Ellis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

I remember Coombes of Guildford transformed the Mk2 and the modifications were not just confined to louvres in the bonnet! If I had a Mk2 needing work I would be tempted to replicate a "Coombes". They only did 30 or so cars and genuine examples fetch far more than the standard Jaguar offering and must be a joy to own.

Worth thinking about?

Well Ray, I already have a louvered bonnet and thereby is an interesting tale.
In the 1990s many louvered bonnets were simply bonnets where the "louvres" were simply cut from ex War Department tin cabinets and welded in. Most results were appalling.
When I do something I like to do it properly so I approached an air conditioning equipment manufacturer and asked if louvres could be cut into the bonnet on their louvre cutting machine. A discussion between the MD and the engineering foreman took less than 30 seconds. "Leave the bonnet with us until Friday".
The result was perfection without any distortion. I'll post some photos on a regeneration thread in due course.

Mark 2 seats are not the best so they will be replaced with ex Jaguar XJ40 items in grey leather. An upholsterer friend cut down the XJ40 rear seat and it will look as if it's always been there.

I'm undecided with "Coombes" rear wheel arch spats although I do have a set of GRP ones I bought in a car boot sale for £5 years ago.
The Mark 2 has already been converted to ex S3 XJ6 rack and pinion power steering and an all synchro gearbox.

The one mod I'm having a long think about is deleting the "Fograngers" and fitting 7" tractor lights in their place. The one thing I have failed to find is the combined pas pump and alternator tandem fitted in late 1980s Ford Transits so I've had to use the original dynamo/pas Jaguar unit.

I'll stop there for now because you may all be interested in a dedicated thread on the rerestoration which I will post.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellis wrote:

I'll stop there for now because you may all be interested in a dedicated thread on the rerestoration which I will post.

You bet!!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Ellis wrote:

You bet!!

+1

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I beefed up the mounting for the spare wheel rim on little Dodge, I'd noticed a rattle from the back before (only when the hood was raised), so with the back seat removed I was able to stengthen it and tighten it all up. I also noticed that a bolt holding one of the exhaust brackets had disappeared, causing the bracket to touch and resonate through the underside of the car. The beauty of having a high-up car is that I can shimmy underneath to effect a repair without having to jack it up, or use ramps Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellis wrote:
Ray White wrote:

Worth thinking about?

Well Ray, I already have a louvered bonnet and thereby is an interesting tale.
In the 1990s many louvered bonnets were simply bonnets where the "louvres" were simply cut from ex War Department tin cabinets and welded in. Most results were appalling.
When I do something I like to do it properly so I approached an air conditioning equipment manufacturer and asked if louvres could be cut into the bonnet on their louvre cutting machine. A discussion between the MD and the engineering foreman took less than 30 seconds. "Leave the bonnet with us until Friday".
The result was perfection without any distortion. I'll post some photos on a regeneration thread in due course.

Mark 2 seats are not the best so they will be replaced with ex Jaguar XJ40 items in grey leather. An upholsterer friend cut down the XJ40 rear seat and it will look as if it's always been there.

I'm undecided with "Coombes" rear wheel arch spats although I do have a set of GRP ones I bought in a car boot sale for £5 years ago.
The Mark 2 has already been converted to ex S3 XJ6 rack and pinion power steering and an all synchro gearbox.

The one mod I'm having a long think about is deleting the "Fograngers" and fitting 7" tractor lights in their place. The one thing I have failed to find is the combined pas pump and alternator tandem fitted in late 1980s Ford Transits so I've had to use the original dynamo/pas Jaguar unit.

Having had a preview of the car already, once completed it will be a lovely, rust free example of an already classy motor.
Looking forward to the updates.

Kevin
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:

The beauty of having a high-up car is that I can shimmy underneath to effect a repair without having to jack it up, or use ramps Smile

RJ

Shhhh.....they will ALL want one!! Laughing
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My starter solenoid has been unreliable of late although it usually worked if you were persistent but even that proved to be a non-starter recently requiring a finger on the button under the bonnet.

The solenoid is mounted on the end of the starter motor and is not accessible because of the exhaust down pipes so I had to take the starter out to dress the solenoid contacts.

This is a really horrible job. Both down pipes need to be disconnected from the manifolds and the one that snakes over to the near side of the car must be disconnected from the rest of its system entirely.

I had thought of substituting an older starter motor that has the solenoid mounted on the top of the barrel but after cleaning it up and removing the brush inspection collar I could see that not only were the brushes well worn some had cut into the commutator leaving deep grooves in it so that idea got rejected.

With the contacts smoothed off in my original solenoid and all back in place the button on the dashboard appears to be reliable again.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had a starter solenoid problem with my P38 Range Rover. Or at least I thought it was the solenoid. Rolling Eyes In fact the problem with starting was traced to a 40 amp fuse. The fuse protecting the solenoid was unexpectedly shared with the electronic air suspension (EAS). What had happened was the compressor had burned out and that had caused the fuse to blow. To add insult to injury not only had the suspension been rendered useless (normally there is a 30mph limit to get you home if the EAS fails); the car wouldn't even start.

These things are OK when everything is working as intended.

Give me an oldie any day.!
DM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Cargo,
https://hc-cargo.co.uk/Files/Filer/HCCargo/Catalogs/Starters%20&%20Alternators_2017-2019.pdf

What you want is around page 96 in the catalogue, you should be able to buy a remanufactured one outright.

Ellis wrote:

Ellis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DM wrote:
Try Cargo,
https://hc-cargo.co.uk/Files/Filer/HCCargo/Catalogs/Starters%20&%20Alternators_2017-2019.pdf

What you want is around page 96 in the catalogue, you should be able to buy a remanufactured one outright.]

Thank you very much indeed for the link. I have only just seen your post now and I am very grateful.

Ellis

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
badhuis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mounted another type of heater valve. The original specification valve (using a rubber diaphragm) is fairly difficult to close, the cable (a single wire) cannot overcome the pressure needed. On a TR forum I read about using an American valve using a rotating piston type, and I ordered one. Received yesterday and installed today, it works much better. Now the control knob can make the heater really turn off which is nice in hot weather. Before I manually had to turn off the valve (under the bonnet).

I also wired in a control light for the electrical fan that I installed months ago instead of the engine driven fan. I want to know if and when the electric fan is on. This works fine, and interesting to see is that when the speed is over 50 mph the light starts glowing and increase glowing when the speed increases. It seems the fan is generating power Very Happy
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hats off to my wife. Wink She rang me to say that the Range Rover temperature gauge was creeping up into the red so she stopped and turned off the engine. The fact that she had been watching the heater gauge at all is worth a mention. Actually appreciating the seriousness of the situation and stopping is, frankly, brilliant.!

The car was allowed to cool and the water added sufficient to get home. I don't know if I did the right thing but I instructed her to leave off the cap so as not to pressurise the system. My thinking was that without pressurising the system perhaps the water would stay put for longer??

I don't know where the leak is yet but as it is dripping from he front I guess it is either the radiator or a hose.

I haven't got enough to do!

Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Page 18 of 121

Jump to: