classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Russian cars
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Russian cars Reply with quote

Hi all,

Russia's in the news quite a lot at the moment, has anyone here experience of Russian-built cars, or perhaps motoring in Russia or the former USSR?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
consul 57

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have had 2 lada niva's the 4x4 ones, it just kept on going when most of my neigbours cars would not start in bad winters, had to tow them & jump start them before going to work!
as for off roading it would go almost anywhere with the right tyres, brilliant cars, hard to drive on the road though and rust became an issue after a while.
would have another for off roading if i could get one, hardly any about now!
D4B

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

consul 57 wrote:
would have another for off roading if i could get one, hardly any about now!

There was a dealer selling these new in Northamptonshire.....
Not sure if he is still in business now though.
I would buy one rather than a modern any day!

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2911417/Sales-Lada-4x4s-tiped-grow-alternative-soon-defunct-Land-Rover-Defender.html
Ray the rocker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: post subject. Reply with quote

Found out the garage I was working at took over a franchise selling lada, moskvitch and skoda cars.This was like going back 30 years in time ! Could not believe the total lack of assembly sense when they arrived at the showroom. Every panel had to be re-aligned to fit.Modifications were required on brake pipe routes on moskvitch to pass ministry of transport regs.
After saying this, cheap as chips to buy all three but I can`t say they were that popular .Find a decent mosky nowadays and it`s probably worth ten times the price.......cheers--ray the rocker.
Ellis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove a Lada Niva many years ago and I have to admit that I was impressed with it. I cannot understand why no-one has tried to reintroduce it following the Land Rover Defender's demise.
I did see one article last year about a dealer who was able to obtain them.

The lack of right hand drive and no diesel engine must be a contributing factor.

A lad at school with me was given a brand new Moskvitch for passing his A levels in 1973. I thought it was awful.

In 1977 a slightly, shall I say eccentric family bought a brand new Lada Riva, the type based on the old Fiat 124. Curiosity took the better of me one Saturday and I took the dog for a walk in the general direction of the car's location.
Fiats have a slightly ethereal quality about them buy the Lada felt hewn from rock with heavy gauge metal but it smelt strongly of rubber and adhesives.
It was new after all.

I wonder if the normal transport of the KGB in the 1970s and 1980s - the Chaika (Seagull) are sought after in Russia these days but I believe the old Zil limousines used by high Soviet officials have an enthusiastic following.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
badhuis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems there is a dealer in Belgium who still sells new Lada Niva. In various guises even - I did not know a four door version is/was available!

http://www.garagegardi.be/wp/lada-4x4-blanc-utilitaire/
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago the local Lada dealer sent about 50 Brake drums, that had been rejected under warranty, for re machining to the machine shop where I worked. Some of the castings were so bad you could see daylight through the blow holes.
47Jag

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 90s I used to go to Aberdeen to service the Harbour Board’s computer and the dock would be ‘littered’ with Ladas awaiting loading onto Russion fishing boats. Apparently there was a profit to be made taking the Ladas back to the Motherland.

Art
GARAGE HERMIT

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
Back in the 90s I used to go to Aberdeen to service the Harbour Board’s computer and the dock would be ‘littered’ with Ladas awaiting loading onto Russion fishing boats. Apparently there was a profit to be made taking the Ladas back to the Motherland.

Art

same thing happened at middlesbrough dock's, but i think it was the sailor's doing it for themselves as there were just a few lada's lashed to the deck's of various type's of ship's,

had a niva 4x4 myself year's ago, they were pretty awful, stripped the engine down and every piston had a different compression ratio, but i still liked it, easy to work on and it never broke down and it was cheap to buy, i'd have another one if i had room for it,
victor 101

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends workshop is part of the old Lada import complex, It used to be where they swapped the tyres and carburettors before sending them out to the dealers. Security wasn't that tight according to stories and cars would disappear in the middle of the night.
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaah, CArnaby, & Satra Motors? I used to live in Bridlington, many decades ago....next-door neighbour worked at Satra... a trained mechanic, he got paid more money working there, just fitting the plastic centre consoles to Ladas.
Of course, he had a LAda [they could be had cheaper for employees]...and a set of steel wheels & russian tyres for the winter.

LAda sponsored a 'works' rally car/team....one driver was a Geoff Warcup...[lived out at Skipsea]...met him a few times, peripherally-speaking.

Also at that time, got roped in to re-forming the old Bridlington Motor Club.....thankless task, really.....used to have 12-car rallies, autotests.....PCT's etc.......mass marshalling for the Mintex, RAC, etc, especially in DAlby ..or up at Sutton bank.

A lad in Brid had a Moskvich......engine looked remarkably like that found in the BMWs of the day? Brakes would have disgraced a Honda 50! Apparently the Mosky would go like stink, but wouldn't stop..hence probably why there aren't many about these days?

A few years ago, whilst doing my marshalling bit for the Motorcycling Club's Edinburgh Trial...one of the Raynet guys at our Section, turned up in a very nice looking Moskvich estate....notable to me, for having a huge electric winch bolted to the front bumper. Everybody else turned up in sundry 4x4s..not this chap.....loads of ground clearance, and a winch for getting out of trouble...lovely!!
victor 101

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, an industrial estate built on the old Carnaby airfield. All that's left now is a stone at the entrance to the old offices to show that it was ever there.
Keith D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother runs a Lada Niva. It was bought new by our father. It was not a very good vehicle. After Dad died my brother kept it awhile before selling it to an enthusiast. This guy returned to the UK after rebuilding it. He sold it back to my brother who uses it as a tug for his Trojan bubble car on it's trailer when he goes to shows.

His comment only last week. "The Niva gets more attention than the Trojan!"

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Rusty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my uncle and one of my good friends used to run niva's back in the day and they both liked their value even if they both thought them a bit behind the pack in build quality. My good mate Clive liked his all the way until the gearbox needed overhauling and he had to wait six months for some bearing that had collapsed to be found. You couldn't get one through the Russian parts channel or anywhere else in the world for a while until one of the blokes we go fishing with who worked for a local bearing supplier found one in Spain of all places.

Both these utes (pickups or light commercial vehicles) were bought instead of 4 wheel motorbikes (ATVs) for use on farms and for that use they were fine, I drove them both quite a bit and they had reasonable road manners even if a bit gutless. Both said after they had traded them on that given the same circumstances they would get another.

At the same time another acquaintance bought a Lada Samara two door sedan as a first car for his daughter just after she got her licence and it turned out to be a complete pile of Russian rubbish. They only kept it for about six months and it was broken down more than it was on the road.
Mikey77

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could still buy a new Niva in this part of France, not long ago. There are loads still around and in various states of repair.
I did a newspaper road test of one nearly 30 years ago and all I can say is, it was better than an Umm or a Mahindra.
This is absolutely true - a few years ago I went to look at a used car at the Lada dealer in Limoges and got talking to the daughter of the owner. I said 'Nivas are a bit out of date nowadays, aren't they?' She said 'well, yes, but they do do a sport version now'. When I raised my eyebrows she said 'it's the one with the tennis ball on the tow hitch'. We both fell about with laughing.
Incidentally, my friend - a university professor in England, ran Moskvichs for years and was very happy with them. When he couldn't get one any more he upgraded to Skodas. Mind you, his subject was agricultural machinery history...
Even more incidentally, 50 years ago I had a Wartburg Knight. I remember it fondly and still have a photo!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: