classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hot Rod Workshop
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Kustom Built Cars

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Hot Rod Workshop Reply with quote

Kustom Built Cars is fostering the automotive aftermarket restoration industry for the next generation. Learn valuable skills at this Hot Rod Workshop, building a classic/custom car from start to finish. This 5-month workshop gives hands-on training which includes the evaluation of a project, disassembling the car, rust repair, metal work, body work, basic suspension work, basic engine rebuilding, basic welding and fabrication, painting, color sanding, assembly of the car, and electrical wiring. Through training and mentorship this project aims to inspire the next generation to participate in the automotive restoration/preservation industry by creating hands-on experiences. Kustom Built Cars specializes in pre-1970 vehicles of all makes and models.

Kustom Built Cars was started by Jack Weaver, a car enthusiast and builder of 28 years. He is also well-known hotrod/custom shop owner who loves and enjoys custom cars and hot rods. He wants to share his passion and encourage others for generations to come. So he and his friends got together and came up with this awesome workshop so that future car builders of the world would be able to come and learn the fundamentals of restoring a custom car from the ground up. Classic car restoration is a disappearing art and we know there is a need and want for it. We want to find and inspire youth who are eager to learn about the restoration and preservation of classic cars.

“In my opinion in another 15-20 years it will be next to impossible to get a hot rod built or a custom car restored, because of the lack of knowledge and inexperienced help available. This along with my story and experience is why I chose to start teaching this trade to people that want to learn it. To pass on an 80 year old tradition and lifestyle to the generations to come. Anyone can buy a hot rod, very few can build one……” Jack Weaver

We know that students learn in different ways. Students will always be interested in working with manipulating cars with their hands because it is experiential learning. They learn while they are able to see a tangible project they worked on come together. The need for these programs should not be going away, but should be growing. For more information about us, please visit us at KustomBuiltCars.com.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has to be a wind up. I have never heard so much rubbish.

The sure fire way to ruin a classic car is to turn it into a hot rod. The last thing we need in Britain is to follow the USA and permanently damage our motoring heritage.

As to the imminent demise of restoration knowledge; the business has never been healthier and is worth £billions to the British economy each year.
Kenham

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said ray , saved me the job of saying the same.
DM

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kustom Built Cars,

You seem to have missed that this is a classic car forum.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With respect you do not spell custom with a K. ....never have, never will. Just saying. Wink
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a search of the web address via gooogle has yielded a security warning from my army of antiviruses....
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm all for more younger people getting hands-on involved with the old vehicle scene, even if the hot-rod side of things doesn't really float my boat all that often.

I agree with Ray about the old-car industry actually being in pretty good health overall, saying that there's always room to increase the number of footholds into the industry for people wanting to work with old cars. And I can also see that access to certain skills will become harder to achieve in the not-too-distant future, so personally I'm happy to support any initiatives to get more people hands-on with the spanners and cutting discs, and away from their X-box, even if the flavour of some projects (ie custom cars) isn't exactly my thing.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for encouraging younger people to restore but I'm not keen on taking restorable classics and chopping them about for customisation.
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is across the pond not here. The clue is in the "color".

Peter
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a sizeable hot rod movement in the UK and teaching manual skills is much needed.

Hot rods are an American tradition that stretches back to the thirties and is no different to the VSCC building specials. In fact it’s the same. The cars are far more valuable than the donors and they tend to be made fromhigh volume sellers rather than the rare and special.

I prefer standard old cars as you do Ray, but I fancy we’re tiny in numbers compared to the Hotrod movement.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley wrote:

Hot rods are an American tradition that stretches back to the thirties and is no different to the VSCC building specials. In fact it’s the same. .

I am not an authority on anything but surely the two things are different?

For example, I doubt the VSCC would welcome an Austin 7 “special” with a bespoke chassis and a Chevy V8 . I always say that it is not hot rods that are the problem but the prevalence of good restorable cars being used for the basis. I believe this should be avoided if we are not to damage our motoring heritage.j

You are right about the relative values which is why a sound original car, especially in the States, is more likely to be used these days when at one time a hulk might suffice.

There are, of course, some very good hot rods and the serious guys are into competition rather than just posing forh photos. In particular I am very impressed with the continued success of the Montana Boys with their Dodge Brothers ‘fast four’ Land Speed Record car. They hold the class record at Bonneville. There is essentially a point to the operation which seems to be absent in most hot rod projects.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also in the US, but perhaps more to people's liking:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/05/09/a-summer-session-for-the-mechanically-inclined-penn-colleges-automotive-restoration-camp/?refer=news

from today's Hemmings News.
Ashley

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray

The VSCC have always allowed specials built with contemporary parts. Later cars are catered for by different organisations.

The Hotrod movement is as old but has continued to build hot rods without a cut off date, which is the only distinction.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are IMHO very few good looking cars that have origins across the pond, and frankly hot rods all seem to follow a similar unimaginative style namely; bigger wheels at the back, chop the roof, stick a big engine in , add flames, get yourself some tattoos, pretend that you are a confederate....ok I am exaggerating to make a point, and they do have some good engines, but the cars just lack class and style...

Dave
s.e.charles

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: hot rods? classic cars? Reply with quote

there really is room in the automotive hobby for all sorts. every car doesn't warrant restoration to its factory origin.

a bolt is a bolt, and finding someone to turn it is getting increasingly difficult.

there seems to be a swelling interest in "traditional" hot rods witnessed by the increase of venues such as The Race of Gentlemen, Pendine Sands, and I believe Australia has "beach" races, too.

https://the-race-of-gentlemen.ticketleap.com/trog-nj-2018/details
johanneshuwe.com/pendine-sands-hot-rod-races/

just like any other hobby, there's really no need to polarize. there's a lot of oil & grease to go around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: