classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Learning with Vulgalour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a nice 30's Vauxhall 14 on ebay at the moment for about £5k, grey in colour, original but needing some light restoration.
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulgalour wrote:

As for the Jaguar SS, well... Much too flash. a cad-mobile.

Very true. Not everyone's cup of tea.

Peter Very Happy
Ashley

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Vulgalour wrote:

As for the Jaguar SS, well... Much too flash. a cad-mobile.

Very true. Not everyone's cup of tea.

Peter Very Happy

I don’t agree! They were amongst the most elegant cars ever to be produced by this country and at least as good as Derby Bentleys at a fraction of the price.

We Brits lack aesthetic sensitivity and you can see this in our cars, especially when you compare our coach builders with Continental ones. But then Figoni and Falaschi were known by Brits as “fast and flashy” and WO Bentley accused, arguably our greatest stylist, Frank Feeley, who designed the prewar Lagondas, of producing cars for his lordship’s taylor and not his lordship.

Austin’s were always reliable and durable cars, not great to drive and not great lookers either IMO. Whereas Jaguar takes its place as one of the all time greats.

I fancy you’ve already made up your mind Vulgalour.
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shan't be swayed on the SS, just really not what I'm interested in (watch me end up with an SS now). Jaguars generally leave me a bit cold outside of the 1970-2000-ish period. I'd rather own a Daimler. I'm quite fond of the awkward and the clumsy when it comes to styling, by way of example, one of my favourite cars is the Triumph Mayflower but the other half thinks it looks deformed, which for me is part of the appeal. A Renown or Dolomite is an easier sell and more conventionally attractive.

I do like non-British but usually French. Italian cars are very pretty but I haven't especially enjoyed working on the 60s and 70s Alfas I've had opportunity to (they're really badly made!), and even the '64 Lancia Flavia Coupé I got to work on has its shortcomings. I'm much more fond of French things like the Renault Juvaquatre and anything from Panhard, but these are a tough sell with the other half who has this perhaps sensible aversion to all things motorised and French.

Other oddities I'm keen on are the peculiar and sturdy efforts of the Russians and Polish manufacturers, though these are usually well beyond my budget. There's very little chance I'll own a Tatra of any variety and finding a Pobeida is going to be a challenge because of the distance and language barrier. But you never know what's hiding in someone's garden, so who knows? Also, many of these are a bit new for the pre-war stipulation so I fear I've wandered off topic a little.
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the moral support Ashley.

The Mayfower is really a poor man's Renown. If you do fancy a Renown then the later 2 litre version is an easier prospect for engine spares as it shares so much with the TR2 etc, Fergy tractor etc.

Whereas the 1776 cc version shares it's engine parts with the 1½ litre Jaguar.

Another good reason to avoid it.

Peter Wink
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion the styling suits the Renown, its quite elegant but the Mayflower looks too dumpy.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
In my opinion the styling suits the Renown, its quite elegant but the Mayflower looks too dumpy.

I've always quite liked the Mayflower's styling, I guess it's a bit of a marmite car. What would put me off owning one is the three speed column change and undersized sidevalve engine, hardly practical for Welsh mountain roads!
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a triumph Renown for about 3 weeks. It was horrible! and it was so heavy on fuel I got rid of it and bought another V8 Pilot much cheaper to run.
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Renown is a handsome thing, for sure, but it has one thing that bugs me. I quite like what I know as 'Empress' style coachwork, Hooper is probably the best known for it, the Daimler DS420 probably the most common car you're going to see it on. The Renown tricks my brain into thinking it's that style, I don't know why, and then I'm always slightly disappointed that it isn't. I'm rather fond of the sweepy look of Empress bodied cars, they give that impression of never needing to be in a rush.

When Photobucket went and did their silly thing, it actually wiped out almost all my online show photographs so I'm having to go through and reupload them. This next round of oldies is from the Bourne Show of June 2016, a show that's local to a friend of mine who encouraged me to take the Rover since it was just old enough to get in and the Princess at that time wasn't in any fit state to get itself there.

That's the show I saw the oldest Fiat I've encountered. I'm not sure what model this is, and I'm hoping I've remembered it as a Fiat correctly. Please do correct me if not.

20160619-129 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

20160619-130 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I liked the smaller details on it and was curious about the 'two wheel brakes' warning. I assume it only has drums on one axle?
20160619-132 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

20160619-131 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is details I like on older cars, that attention and care to every single component. Even items you don't really see are still given little flourishes. You get it on modern cars too but to a much lesser degree and the volume of production and materials used do tend to cheapen the design elements rather than elevating them.

By way of example, here's a nice old Studebaker and it's detailed wheels.
20160619-107 Studebaker by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

20160619-108 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

There was this handsome pair too. From memory, the green one was a Bentley of some sort and the two tone one next to it was an Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire. The Sapphire was the more appealing of the two for me, the styling felt better balanced, but I would have liked it in the colour of the Bentley which itself seemed unusual.
20160619-41 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

20160619-42 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

20160619-43 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Am I right in thinking these are actually early 50s cars even though they look much older?
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I thought this was a Rover, but it has MG badges so I assume that's what it must be. I'm guessing again this isn't pre-war but rather an older design freshened up for a newer decade.
20160619-40 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

This one, however, is a Rover. Again I don't know which model exactly, I'd assume something like a P2? It's very similar to the sort of thing we've been looking to acquire but there's something about these Rovers that doesn't quite do it for me and I'm not sure what that something is because they're quite nice things.
20160619-36 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

This is, I think, a Morris Cowley? A little small for what we're after.
20160619-24 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Yet another Austin. Very much the sort of thing we're interested in, it's about as small as we'd want to go.
20160619-21 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

So I don't flood the thread with too much content, I'll finish for now with this unusual (to me) fabric bodied Standard. I've only seen a handful of fabric bodied cars and this one looked exceptionally fresh so I suspect a thorough restoration had been done. I don't know which model it is.
20160619-153 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Because of the very ad hoc nature of the Bourne show, I actually ended up parked next to this in the Rover so I got to have a really good look over it and found it all very appealing indeed.
20160619-14 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

20160619-15 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDU 53 is indeed a Morris, but the smaller Morris 8 Series E (forumer ukdave will tell you all about them). The green Austin is a 10/4 Lichfield. I do like the old Studebaker, then again I am quite partial to some pre-historic American vehicles for my sins.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MKVI BENTLEY is probably the best car R-R made after the Silver Ghost and one of the best driving of all classics. The design was by John Blatch;eye and reflects the New Look of the early post war era. You’d only have to drive that and the Armstrong Siddeley for a couple of miles to know which was the better car. Www.kda132.com

That particular car is not in an original colour and is missing bits and pieces.
MikeG

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are four cars for sale on the Pre-1940 Triumph Motor Club site.The range of cars is from small to large.Its worth a look.
Mike
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Clearly what you need is an SS Jaguar.

Sexy lines with performance.

Although not pre-war there is a couple with the same lines available right now
here. Don't go for second best...

Contact https://davenportcars.co.uk/category/showroom/
Peter
Wink

Being rather old fashioned perhaps I just can't avoid living in the 1930s and much prefer the swept wings to the later helmet pattern that were in vogue in the 1940s or later still when slab sides were popular. I guess it all depends when you were born.

As to driving old cars on today's roads if you want to avoid holding up normal traffic you really need to be comfortable traveling at greater than the 56 mph limit of heavy goods traffic and you don't want to hold up the normal traffic lights grand prix too much. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEh7kRpyo-w

If you aren't capable of entering a motorway at greater than 60 mph then you are going to be an annoyance to normal traffic and that will limit your longer distance travel..

Peter

Last edited by peter scott on Wed May 16, 2018 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: