classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Learning with Vulgalour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off to view this charming little thing tomorrow afternooon. I really hope it's as solid and unmolested as it looks in the pictures, it's precisely the sort of thing we're after.

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulgalour wrote:
Off to view this charming little thing tomorrow afternooon. I really hope it's as solid and unmolested as it looks in the pictures, it's precisely the sort of thing we're after.

I was only looking at that ad about 30 mins ago. That's the Barker-bodied version, with an ash body frame, so have a good prod at any visible woodwork and make sure the doors don't have any lift where the hinges bolt through to the A pillars, as any rot in the woodwork would be an involved fix.

The Briggs-bodied LD10s have all-steel bodywork.

Smart and nicely-detailed cars, a good one would be a cracking quality car to own. Even little things like the oil filler cap are a work of art.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thank you for the clarification. Owner wasn't sure if it was ash frame or not, and neither was I looking at it. Will bear it in mind when inspecting.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would urge a word of caution. At the age these aluminium coach built bodies are now they will probably have required attention and if poorly executed will give you an expensive problem.

If I may suggest you invite a club member to inspect the car before you buy. That the seller claimed not to know about their Achilles heel would ring alarm bells with me; especially as I have myself fallen victim to a wicked deception in that regard.

They don't have good brakes but then neither do many other cars of the period.

I found this...
https://daimlerandlanchester.com/lanchester-ld10-by-barker/
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that very article earlier today. I also found this website quite illuminating so I at least feel slightly forewarned about the peculiarities of these cars and their construction: http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk/

It does seem that if there are structural problems with the body it's an absolute nightmare to correct because the car is built in such a way that it's clear it's never expected to need to be repaired.

In its favour is that, from what little information I have so far, it's spent much of its time indoors. Last taxed in 1984, it's been with the current owner since 2008. It does run and drive, but has never quite made it onto the road. It has been stubborn about actually running recently and I suspect that's going to be carburettor related, I'll know a bit better when I actually see it in person.

I was tempted to just send the money over, have the car delivered, and then deal with the problems when it arrived. Sense, and the current owner, prevailed so we're going to undertake the nearly 200 mile round trip to view it instead.

One big advantage, should it prove viable, is that it will fit in my garage so I can keep it out of the weather should it prove to not be entirely weathertight, which I fully expect.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that "Worms" as in can of, I can hear ..... ? You have project vehicles that have "bolt on" fixes. Possible "Red Flags" have been posted.
To the untrained and uninformed eye it is just an "Old Car' but it could be a "Money Pit"...... A Lawn Tractor would likely be a comfortable fit in your garage but does that fact make it desirable ?
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos usually flatter old cars but I'm sure it will be well worth the 200 mile trip. I'm sure you will view it with your eyes wide open and will know if it would take you beyond your skill set. Good luck and I'm looking forward to reading about the outcome and further photos.

Peter
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice little cars and not all that common.

At the end of the day you have done your research, have a good look round and make sure it is a good look not just a glance at the problem areas.

You will know if its the car for you and if the repairs etc are within your skill-set and budget.

Best of luck I say.
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went to view this today. I'm happy to say that it should be coming to live with us very soon, we're just waiting on the banks doing their thing with money transfers.

I'll do a proper report on it when it arrives. Fundamentally, it's a surprisingly original and operational car. We even got it to run and idle with some new fuel.

No saggy doors, a good solid seeming chassis, a very solid feeling body, intact interior, and no sign of rodent damage or water damage. Feeling quite optimistic about it.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulgalour wrote:
We went to view this today. I'm happy to say that it should be coming to live with us very soon, we're just waiting on the banks doing their thing with money transfers.

I'll do a proper report on it when it arrives. Fundamentally, it's a surprisingly original and operational car. We even got it to run and idle with some new fuel.

No saggy doors, a good solid seeming chassis, a very solid feeling body, intact interior, and no sign of rodent damage or water damage. Feeling quite optimistic about it.

Hi.... Regardless of my previous post, I do wish you all the best with this project. I get no satisfaction from watching people fail, my comments, indeed all the comments were from the heart and I am confident that you will receive nothing but good thoughts, support and advice from the knowledgeable OCC. Stay Safe...... Peter.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulgalour wrote:

Excellent news, look forward to reading about it. These less mainstream cars offer a lot for the money, if people are willing to take the time and gen up on their peculiarities. The Daimler Lanchester Owners' Club should prove handy.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it sounds like the right car for you, all the best with it and look forward to hearing more.
mikeC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy the pre-selector gearbox! It will take a bit of getting used to, but you will soon wonder why every car doesn't have one.
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The money seems to have gone through finally so it's just a case of sorting out the garage space and the delivery details and we can get stuck in.

I've been swotting up as much as I can on what these cars should sound like, look like, what problems they have, etc. I feel about as well armed as I can be to fight whatever problems we enounter.

Hopefully, it won't fight us too much. The one thing we're unsure about is whether to go for crossply or radial tyres, cost aside, we're not sure what will be the best option for driving enjoyment and what will best suit how the car handles and rides. Crossply tyres clearly win when it comes to appearance and the look of it now with the chunky 'farmer' rear tyres is very much in keeping with it.

Lots to learn, it's sure to be a fun adventure.
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radials will probably improve its driveability. Less inclination to tramline on longitudinal road ridges. The 5.25 x 16 tyre size will give you the option of taxi tyres that will probably look fairly original and not reduce your rolling radius too much. Top gear is currently 16.6 mph/1000 rpm.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: