classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Learning with Vulgalour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were just me buying, I'd certainly be pushing for things like Rosengart, Hotchkiss, Citroen, Peugeot, et al but the other half is absolutely opposed to anything French. It's unreasonable, of course, but a limitation I must work within since it is supposed to be a joint project.

It's only French he's opposed to, I wonder if he was bitten by an AX when he was a small child and never really got over the trauma of it. That does mean the products of Italy, Spain, Germany, and Sweden are all possibilities. He does like the Olympia, though I'm not particularly keen on the welding that's likely to present to me to fix and they are a bit on the small side.

On the subject of foreign cars, American cars are not discounted. We seen one or two in budget, suprisingly, in about the condition we'd like to take on and the age. Our preference with American cars does seem to sway more towards streamliners of the late 30s and early 40s and we seem to gravitate towards Nash products. Chrysler and Desoto Aeroflow cars are a consideration too, though it's highly unlikely we'd find one that fits our criteria.

It's complicated somewhat further too. While the ideal is a well made, basic, 20s four door saloon, we're also open to art deco flash and art nouveau style. That means things like Austin Devon, Somerset, and Hereford should be a good fit and indeed, they are cars I like. For some reason, the counties cars don't hit the mark for this project. They're fairly easy to work on and get bits for, they do stand out in modern traffic, and they will give us the old car experience we'd like. They just aren't what we're looking for with this. Going for an Atlantic could be the solution, except I love them as much as my partner hates them, for exactly the same reason which is their styling.

Buying a car for yourself, it turns out, is an awful lot easier than trying to buy something for someone else, and that's easier still than trying to buy a car two people will want to get involved with.
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulgalour wrote:

Daimler and Wolseley - Very hit and miss. Some models we both really like, some only I like. Probably won't go down this route.

Don't dismiss. Roomy, better than average performance, interesting engine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1946-Wolseley-18-85-s111-/202333283702?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Peter
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that Peter, and reading the description the history sounds interesting too. It needs a good home.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that Peter, and reading the description the history sounds interesting too. It needs a good home.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking there are different ways of looking at the way this Wolseley has been treated. On one hand the present owner had good intentions but no money and has probably done more harm than good in various bodges to the car.

On the other hand he has been up front and straight about what has to be done and what has not gone as he intended. This is better than a dealer selling the car it having been being quickly restored only for the new owner to find a catalogue of problems 6 months down the road having paid a high initial price.

That said, I wonder what the reserve is. Personally I don't like a hidden reserve figure as it wastes everyone's time. So far there are a good number of bids but the auction is not between bidders as much as guessing how much the seller will accept.

I probably wouldn't want to pay more than £3K given the condition.

Last edited by Ray White on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that, the interior looks cossetting (if a bit shabby in places) and the average paint finish wouldn't bother me at all, if the price expected for it is sensible. Fettle and use it, without being too precious over where you park it, or the weather outside - sounds ok to me.

How many cars are advertised in partially stripped state, never destined to go back together again? The seller of this one rescued it, put it back together, and used it, so fair do's.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't pay more than £2.5-3k for it in the condition that it is in. There is plenty to do just really to get her roadworthy and safe and that is leaving the body / interior as is.
I like the shabby look but I would personally give the exterior a rub down and coat of paint. Original flaky or crazed paint I would leave on a car but this scruffy hand paint I would get rid of.
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy it Now £6500 and open to offers.

Good value I think but I suspect it will be snapped up pretty quickly.

Peter

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1931-Riley-9-Biarritz-sunshine-saloon-/202342052174?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it! Very Happy
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodgy listing surely, the description has the usual "contact me at this email address" blah blah.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
mikeC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, 'Item Location' is given as 'UK', and a request to contact an email direct - sure signs of a fraudulent listing. In fact this car was for sale a few months ago in the low £20 thousands, £6,500 is just ridiculous!
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how would the scam work then?

The seller has 100% positive feedback spread over 11 pages. Then again there is just the one photo of the car which seems odd??

I need to wise up to some of these antics having been recently been stung when a returned item failed to get refunded. ebay say they will help but when you ask for help the silence is deafening. Crying or Very sad
mikeC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray,

I think the theory is that the 'seller' - who is not the listed eBay member - manages to con people into paying deposits and then 'disappears'. EBay will not support any claims because contact has been made outside the eBay site.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. I wouldn't pay a deposit in any event so at least I can't be caught like that.

AVOID ej-parts. I ordered a pressed alloy number plate but the size was wrong so I returned it for a refund. I never received the refund despite several reminders.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, looks dodgy to me. Surely selling a car like this would have lots of photos and a good description.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 8 of 15

Jump to: