classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

amber reflectors
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: amber reflectors Reply with quote

Does anyone know the law pertaining to amber reflectors as fitted to my Dodge Brothers tourer? I have studied the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 where certain reflectors are mentioned but I see nothing about the reflectors like those fitted to my car.

I have a suspicion that they may be illegal Amber reflectors are permitted in the pedals of cycles but I am uncertain about their legality on cars.

Should they be red?

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding has always been that you need red reflectors. Whether also having orange is ok or not I'm not sure, Penman may well know as he's often well read in such matters Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a look and our lorries only have orange reflectors fitted.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
I have had a look and our lorries only have orange reflectors fitted.

Thanks, that's interesting. A bodywork guy I know thought they should be red to the rear but I have also seen lorries with orange... but no other cars.

Incidentally, both my red glass tail lamps have reflectors built in and I know they are O.K.
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Both the pre and post 19th May2018 MoT manuals https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-inspection-manual-for-class-3-4-5-and-7-vehicles
specify Not Red as a reason for failure. BUT of course your vehicle is no longer required to be MoT'd.
So the question is; Do amber reflectors render it un-roadworthy?

There is a provision that a vehicle used only during the daylight hours doesn't require reflectors anyway if not fitted with front and rear position lights.

Do those rear lights have a reflective portion in them?
If not, I would play safe and use Red ones, can you get Red ones to fit in the same holders?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Penman. The twin rear lamps have combined stop and tail lights and what looks like a reflector / lens but I am not sure it would necessarily qualify.

From what you have explained the easiest thing to do is to change the orange reflectors for red ones. They just screw on.

That at least would resolve the issue of "roadworthiness". Rolling Eyes
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this issue the other year with daily-driver Daihatsu Fourtrak.
Fed up with not being able to access the bulbs in the rear lights, due to seized, SS fixing bolts[!], I ripped them off, stuck steel plates in lieu, and fitted suitably-sized trailer light units.
These regularly pass an MoT...and are 'brighter [newer?] than the originals....but, try as I might, I couldn't really tell if they included a reflective portion. so I cut the rectangular reflector portions off the old light lenses, and tigersealed them to the rear bumpers. That also seems to satisfy the MoT-person. [Turns out, the light lenses also reflect], plus, bulb access is greatly enhanced... Smile
roverdriver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think that once those reflectors might have been red? here in Australia, red reflectors like that don't stay red for many years, and do become amber, purely on account of sunshine.

Incidentally, the same thing happens to tail light lenses, and when I had my hobby shop, I would often recommend the use of the clear red version of Tamiya brand acrylic paint. It would refresh bleached out lenses.
Kenham

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of the legal side , lorries and trailers(ifor Williams type) have orange on the sides but red on the back. I personally think your car will look better with red though.
Kenham

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of the legal side , lorries and trailers(ifor Williams type) have orange on the sides but red on the back. I personally think your car will look better with red though.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I didn't know the red lenses turned amber in the Australian sunshine!! That might well explain it!!

I also think the red ones would look better.

I fitted red reflectors to my Swallow many years ago in addition to the D lamps.
I remember I wasn't sure I liked them at first but have got used to them over time.

Found some with nice chrome surrounds on Paul Beck Vintage Supples.

Thanks again.! Very Happy
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone drilled (grrr) tiny holes in my rear wings to fit el-cheapo red plastic reflectors to my DB, this post's reminded me that I should replace them with more suitable ones that I put somewhere "safe" a while back ...

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whilst I haven't tried this on actual reflectors, I have had good results for faded red plastic light lenses, using
https://www.curtisward.com/marabu-glasart-glass-paint-50ml.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw8O7bBRB0EiwAfbrTh2rd4ZhNcaoCBvjkhdbAfHsnChgluAE3WwpgsHlZnGndC36qJmrYqBoCKD0QAvD_BwE

Marabu GlasART transparent[glass] paint. the gloss version
I linked above to one supplier, that has a colour chart...although I didn't get my bottle from them [several years ago now]

It is safe on plastics [Lucas lenses, for example] and has [in my experience] restored sun-bleached Lucas, and Bosch [VW] red lenses.
I first tried it on a spare set of original VW bus lenses [the old, small, oval type...from a low light type 2...failed MoT on bleached rear lenses, bought an expensive pair of repro lenses, didn't look at all good to my eyes, but the van was sold, decades ago now...I still have the original lenses.......and tried the GlasART paint as an experiment [nowt to lose, really]...One small [Tamiya-size] jar will last my lifetime...and possibly several generations after me!
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's what I call lateral thinking, Alastair. What a brilliant dodge (excuse the pun) that is. I will likely buy some. Wink
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, I experimented by painting the GlasART on the inside of the lens, and on the outside. Not too conclusive which was best?....Needs to be further experimented with?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: