classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1969 Executive car dilemma
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ellis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: 1969 Executive car dilemma Reply with quote

1969 was an extraordinary year in many ways, the first man on the moon, Concorde's first flight and coincidentally so was that of the Boeing 747.
A strange looking coin was introduced in the Uk - the 50p piece used in conjunction with the ten shilling note.

We are here to discuss cars though and you, perhaps in your early 40s having climbed the corporate ladder are allocated your first executive car.
The choice here is :

or :

A Rover P5B or a Jaguar XJ6 4.2 litre.

The first XJ6 here in Betws y Coed was bought at one month old and at a substantial premium over list price. It was dark red and I even remember the registration number was TEL 819H.
On or about the first week of August the new managing director of a large pharmaceutical wholesaler visited my father in a brand new Rover P5B in dark blue. It was a saloon, not a coupe.

The XJ6 was a sensation when introduced with long waiting lists whereas the Rover was a clever update of the P5.

Which one would you have chosen? My choice would have been the Rover with the dignified elegant shape. Timeless almost.

Incidentally the XJ6 spent long periods back at it's retailing dealership ironing out what were then called "teething troubles". It's businessman owner soon tired of it's unreliability and bought a new BMW 2002 in March 1970. I even remember the number BLU 70H.

Rover P5B or Jaguar XJ6 4.2?

You choose.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo difficult decision, I've had both - Series 1 XJs in 6- and 12-cylinder form, and a P5B. Both the XJ6 and the P5B were fairly similar to drive, both with uber-light steering and both were excellent wafters.

I'm struggling to pick a winner, perhaps the P5B by a whisker as it doesn't have the unpleasantness of inboard rear discs to battle with. Although the XJ6 does offer the option of a manual 'box, if you can find one thus-equipped.

Hmmmm. The styling of the XJ is great, but the regal air of the P5B would just about clinch it for me. I think.

Saying that, I was very tempted by a Humber Super Snipe many years ago, just to add to the confusion.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellis

As much as I want the jag, I’d have probably gone for the rover.

Kev
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rover for me too.....although the Welsh businessman must have got a shock going from the Jag to the BMW 02!! Hardly the largest of cars inside...and absolutely nothing like the Jag [or the Rover] inside, as far as equipment, appearance, and ambience were concerned. My own 2002 was very germanic in its utilitarianism inside. More like a VW Beetle than an executive lounge?
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've ever endured a long journey in the back of the XJ you might not say that. For such big car it really is incredibly cramped in the rear seats.

Peter
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
If you've ever endured a long journey in the back of the XJ you might not say that. For such big car it really is incredibly cramped in the rear seats.

Peter

I'd have no intention of ever travelling in the back of either Smile

I wonder what a P5 Coupe is like for rear seat passengers?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dads recently revived Wolseley 6110 was new in 1968 and owned by the then MD of McAlpine Construction, with its superb 6 cylinder motor it would have probably been a contender.

Kevin
Ashley

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve owned five or six Land Rovers, P5s as follows 80, 2x100, 95 and 110 and a 3500, whereas I’ve only owned an E Type, a 2.4 MKII and a Daimler 250, so I think I’d have a P5 B coupe. However I’m looking at a 1957 356A with a sunshine roof and I already have a C and a Healey 3000 not to mention a Boxster and a modern Merc, so I’ll probably never have another Rover.

I love Rovers and the company, always did.
badhuis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit unfair I think. The Rover is a generation older than the Jaguar, I think the XJ6 would be a better car in most aspects. Which is to be expected for a newer car. Would the young executive not be more interested in the much more modern P6B?

I find it impossible to choose between two generations. P5B against the 420 would be better (both available in 1968 I think).
My choice would be both. That is my problem I think! Very Happy
Ellis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Rover for me too.....although the Welsh businessman must have got a shock going from the Jag to the BMW 02!! Hardly the largest of cars inside...and absolutely nothing like the Jag [or the Rover] inside, as far as equipment, appearance, and ambience were concerned. My own 2002 was very germanic in its utilitarianism inside. More like a VW Beetle than an executive lounge?

From what I recall the XJ6's owner was so appalled at the quality of his car that he sold it by advertising it in The Times. Remember the XJ6 was still highly sought after in 1970 and selling at above list price for low mileage examples. The same thing happened with Rover SD1 in 1976 with six month waiting lists, no discount on new and a price premium on nearly new examples.

The BMW 2002 was a two door in a beige colour but the owner didn't keep it for long and replaced it with a new BMW 7 Series when the "K" registration came in August 1971. I'm sure the number was YCA 2K.

Edit : I've just remembered now that the owner of the XJ6 owned a 1967 Jaguar "S" type 3.8 litre before, EJC 363E, was the registration number and he had bought it in the spring of 1967. He wasn't keen on that either and always maintained that the 1965 Triumph 2000 which preceded it was a better car.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet

Last edited by Ellis on Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have gone for the Austin 4 litre vandal Plas. It may have lacked the styling of the XJ6 and not handled as well but it was a touch of class. I actually preferred the stying of the earlier Mk11 3 litre model but the 4 litre Rolls Royce engine gave the old girl a bit more power.

https://sites.google.com/site/thecambridgeoxfordownersclub/vehicles/vanden-plas-princess-4-litre-r
Ashley

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I would have gone for the Austin 4 litre vandal Plas. It may have lacked the styling of the XJ6 and not handled as well but it was a touch of class. I actually preferred the stying of the earlier Mk11 3 litre model but the 4 litre Rolls Royce engine gave the old girl a bit more power.

https://sites.google.com/site/thecambridgeoxfordownersclub/vehicles/vanden-plas-princess-4-litre-r

And a c—-p engine. They were a lot of trouble whereas the Morris designed BMC C series was their best and indestructible.

The Rolls engine was a lemon IMO.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley wrote:
Ray White wrote:

And a c—-p engine. They were a lot of trouble whereas the Morris designed BMC C series was their best and indestructible.

The Rolls engine was a lemon IMO.

I agree Ashley. My Father in law had two of the 3 litre MK11 cars in succession and I got to drive them quite a bit. I liked them better than the 4 litre cars as I said but he said much the same about the RR engine - although his objection was more towards the poor fuel consumption.

What was the Achilles heel of the 4 litre?

The rather plain 3 litre Austin would have been my next choice but although of a good standard I think it lacked the VDP build quality.
Ashley

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom ends and hydraulic tappet failures I believe. I had to drive one back from Shropshire once, it was a terrible understeerer and the ruddy big ends had gone by the time I was to give it back to the dealer.

Now I like the look of them, but they were so disliked at the time, it put me off.

The VP 3L I still have a brochure for. Lovely looking and honest car.
BigJohn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Old Man was Regional Ops Manager for Petrofina, and as such could pick just about any executive car. What did he pick? A Morris 1800, twice. Why? because they had a wheel at each corner, he could see the rear corners when reversing his fishing boat down slipways, they had a large boot as he hated hatchbacks as he considered them insecure, they had a 2 pipe ashtray for trips to London, one in his teeth and 2 loaded in the ashtray for change overs, and most importantly he could get his 2 piece salmon fly rod between the front seats and up to the rear window. Practicality for the Old Man all the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: