classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1969 Executive car dilemma
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil supply failure in the 4 litre engine I have not heard of... but overheating I have. The failure to maintain ant freeze with corrosion inhibitors would cause the radiator to become clogged up resulting in head gasket failure.

The design of the F head also came in for criticism as being inefficient. The combustion chamber was no better than a side valve but the original ploy was to provide a large valve area; which it did.

The 4 litre fuel consumption was dreadful with no better than 14 mpg. When one considers the Rolls Royce 6230cc delivers @12 mpg it puts things into perspective.

Much of the unrefined nature of the FB60 4 litre engine was masked by the VDP extensive sound deadening. I imagine class driven motives of buyers would have caused many a blind eye to be turned towards the engineering.
Ashley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The B60s in the MK6, R and S type eventually became very durable and reliable not to mention powerful, but the fire engines, military engines, lorry engines etc were all troublesome so the FB60 was just another.
The Westminster and relatives were faster and more durable than the competition, but no quite so nice to handle

The 4L was judged dated when it arrived and then the engine gave problems so only about 3000 sold. It was more expensive that a Jag too.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, 6,999 were sold...but I take your point. If I had a nice one now I wonder if a Mk6 Bentley engine would fit?

(I know,,, just buy a Mk6!!) Very Happy
Ashley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Actually, 6,999 were sold...but I take your point. If I had a nice one now I wonder if a Mk6 Bentley engine would fit?

Sorry didn’t realise it was so many.

Truth is they’re an elegant car, it’s probably possible to rebuild the engine to ensure reliability and fit different wheels so you can use radials and enjoy driving it

It’s a good thing that they have an active club and Facebook group.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley wrote:
Ray White wrote:

Sorry didn’t realise it was so many.

Truth is they’re an elegant car, it’s probably possible to rebuild the engine to ensure reliability and fit different wheels so you can use radials and enjoy driving it

It’s a good thing that they have an active club and Facebook group.

Keep the wheels and fit 7.25 SR 13 Michelin X radials.

They were fine on the 3 litre so I guess they fit the 4R.?
Ellis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJohn wrote:
My Old Man was Regional Ops Manager for Petrofina, and as such could pick just about any executive car. What did he pick? A Morris 1800, twice..

I know that we have discussed the prototype Vanden Plas 1800 before but this would surely have been a contender as well.

I'm sure that with the six cylinder transverse 2.2 OHC engine this would have been a very fine car.
The Wolseley 6 was well appointed but the above would have been sumptuous.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed, Ellis. Considering the popularity of the 1100/1300 version, I would have thought it would have been a useful addition to the line up. What I have wondered was whether the later ADO61 3 litre should also have been given the VDP treatment.
emmerson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what has stopped me buying a Jaguar? Any model? Because people will insist on calling them Jags!
It's almost as bad as calling a Bentley a Bent!
Ellis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
Do you know what has stopped me buying a Jaguar? Any model? Because people will insist on calling them Jags!
It's almost as bad as calling a Bentley a Bent!

Sir William Lyons used to get very annoyed when people either in his presence, in the press or on TV referred to his products as "Jags".

" The car is a Jaguar" he used to say.

I don't like it either when people ask me "How's the Jag these days?".

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People can call them what they like it doesn't bother me.

What I get annoyed about is when car manufacturers neglect rust prevention.

Jaguars were no exception.
Ashley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair most companies did their best to protect against rust, but with paints and under seals that were not very good compared to what we have now.

However as competitively was eroded thanks to union intransigence etc and the whole industry struggled to compete internationally, short cuts were taken. Also some designs were dreadful rust traps, Even R-R&B.
emmerson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley wrote:
To be fair most companies did their best to protect against rust, but with paints and under seals that were not very good compared to what we have now.

However as competitively was eroded thanks to union intransigence etc and the whole industry struggled to compete internationally, short cuts were taken. Also some designs were dreadful rust traps, Even R-R&B.

Ashley, I disagree with your comment that companies "did their best" with rustproofing.
When I was a youngster, our garage used to do body repairs as well as general repairs, and on removing damaged panels on most newish cars in the late fifties and early sixties, it was common to find no paint at all in hidden places, ie, inside sills and box sections. I well remember one Wolseley 1500 which didn't even have primer on the outside of the sill below what could seen when standing alongside it!
And as for the F type Victor................!
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad bought a brand new FA Victor. I lasted just 3 years before terminal rust had set in. I remember one of the headlamps fell out bringing a heap of rust with it. Shocked
Farmer John

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Exec Rover Reply with quote

Now here is something to make you British proud.
In the late sixties one of the local Vets had tired of buying a new locally built six cylinder car every year to service his rural clients. There were not a lot of sealed roads in rural areas then, we had what we called metal roads or gravel whatever you call them which had potholes and loose stones at all times. Dusty when dry to grind all the moving parts underneath and gritty slush when wet. Driving through puddles would blast the grit into places your ordinary grit could not reach.
So the Vet bought a Rover. According to gossip the Rover needed only last a few years and he would be ahead on costs. Well, the Rover went on and on and on. Always covered in dust or mud the appearance gradually changed as the paint lost its shine, what could be seen of it, and the usual wear and tear spoiled it. Giving it a wash would have helped. Seven or eight years it carried on, could have been his last car I cannot remember. Maybe the comfort was as big a factor as the absolute toughness.
So there you go a Rover is six times as good as our locally built sixes.
Neither the Jaguar nor the Rover could compete with Daimler here for status for what it is worth. These days I would exchange none of them for my Australian built #360c.i. Chrysler Limousine.
John
Ashley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerson

I agree with you, but the pre fifty five cars were, in the main, well protected. Problem was unions and stupid government and that we were struggling by the latter part of the fifties to compete.

Rovers were special and Porsche’s which were carefully protected and well designed rotted like hell regardless.

And one for Ray a 4L R

I've found a fantastic auction on Catawiki! Come have a look: http://www.catawiki.com/kavels/20458727 http://www.catawiki.com/kavels/20458727
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: