classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Classic cars obstructing modern vehicles.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
I am happy driving my popular at 50mph and do drive at 60mph on occasion and I haven't had any grief from other road users who cannot get by due to road conditions. But on hills I do feel bad when the popular is struggling at 20mph and the reason I am fitting a supercharger this winter. To be able to get up hills at a sensible speed is all I'm asking.

I am a big fan of supercharging. People get the wrong idea about it and imagine all sorts - when actually all it does is enable you to keep up with the traffic; manage hills better and not be a p.i.t.a to everyone else on the road.

Maybe you can keep us informed on progress?.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Cadillac is not so old 1970 I have no problems driving at modern traffic speeds, acceleration is quite good, reputed 0 to 60 in 7.8 when it was new. Unfortunately many drivers of the German unholy trinity see it as a challenge that must be passed at all costs.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Paul fairall wrote:
I am happy driving my popular at 50mph and do drive at 60mph on occasion and I haven't had any grief from other road users who cannot get by due to road conditions. But on hills I do feel bad when the popular is struggling at 20mph and the reason I am fitting a supercharger this winter. To be able to get up hills at a sensible speed is all I'm asking.

I am a big fan of supercharging. People get the wrong idea about it and imagine all sorts - when actually all it does is enable you to keep up with the traffic; manage hills better and not be a p.i.t.a to everyone else on the road.

Maybe you can keep us informed on progress?.
will do, but don't hold your breath, lots going on right now but retirement soon so will be at a loose end soon. Whenever I mention the blower I get " you will need to do something with the brakes " why? I'm not going any faster.
roverdriver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I owned and drove the 1928 Model A Ford in Melbourne, I was able to keep up with the moderns without too much difficulty. It did require more road concentration though, and that was over 20 years ago and things have changed somewhat. Rural driving in the A was again, quite o.k. as the speed limit was 60 mph which the A could achieve quite happily. Unhappily, I no longer have one of Henry's products but instead have a clutch of Rovers- 1950, 1969 and 1982. All of those cars are more than capable of the 100 kph speed limit in the State, and are driven accordingly.

Having said that, I often find a car passing me , then slowing down as soon as they are in front. I believe this to be the same 'syndrome' that others have mentioned. "It's an old car therefore it can't be going fast".

On the other side of the coin, I came across a Model A owner in New South Wales who carried a large sign on his car that his maximum speed was 30 mph, and he drove to that speed with the unfortunate tendency to hog the road and make it difficult for others to pass. Drivers like him are sure to bring the historic car movement into disrepute.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
will do, but don't hold your breath, lots going on right now but retirement soon so will be at a loose end soon. Whenever I mention the blower I get " you will need to do something with the brakes " why? I'm not going any faster.

Having found drivers of modern cars were ignorant of its 50 year old braking efficiency (I had so many pull out in front of me), fitting a servo was the first thing I did to my One-Point-Five, long before I thought about additional power.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is interesting David. I was not aware that a servo increased braking efficiency. I thought it decreased pedal effort for the same braking effect.
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Alec wrote:
That is interesting David. I was not aware that a servo increased braking efficiency. I thought it decreased pedal effort for the same braking effect.

I agree.
A servo simply reduces the amount of pressure required from a right leg to achieve a certain degree of stopping power.

The main modern contributor, IMHO, to poor braking efficiency these days [ in old technology vehicles] is the use of modern lining materials.
The asbestos linings of the years up to the '50's [or whenever asbestos was phased out?] were relatively 'soft' in character......drum brakes were designed with this in mind. Modern lining materials....intended for modern vehicles with servo'd brakes, are harder...they tend to survive better the constant heating up & cooling down of heavy braking so prevalent of modern-day drivers. [another advantage of disc brakes]

Softer modern lining materials are available...but I do wonder whether folk give this matter consideration when fettling the brakes of their old vehicles?

I find a correctly set-up mechanical Girling brake system [with drums] is easily a match for any modern system, in bringing a car to a halt. Where the drums will lag behind is, if this process is repeated time after time..the drums get hot, & fade sets in.

For me...if I have to perform a hard stop...I do wonder what the heck it was that I, as a driver, ignored, that led me to having to do so?

Most , I accept, will simply curse the culprit, fit discs and servos when they get home, then give the matter no more thought.

Respect to those who drive in a spirited manner, with nowt more than 2 wheel brakes!
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, the simpler solution to improving one's ancient braking system, is to develop a right leg like that of Bradley Wiggins?

One of those will do the job of stopping, without expense.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Alec wrote:

The 'efficiency increase' is felt mostly in my arthritic right knee enabling me to press harder for less effort - a sort of bionic knee joint.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riley541 wrote:
Paul fairall wrote:

Having found drivers of modern cars were ignorant of its 50 year old braking efficiency (I had so many pull out in front of me), fitting a servo was the first thing I did to my One-Point-Five, long before I thought about additional power.
the other option is to pay particular attention to other drivers who may pull out or stop suddenly and allow more road to stop. The extra power doesn't come into it.
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely bother with the 2-second rule [an effective method of measuring distance...more so than trying to guess 'car-lengths'].....applying my own, 3 or 4 second rule.
It's all about time.

Giving oneself that bit of extra time to observe, assess and respond to events.
I have a habit of not wearing my brakes out quickly enough...usually getting rid of the vehicle concerned beforehand....which has left me with several brand new discs for various vehicles...none of which are any use to me any more!! Sad

Many drivers simply don't plan what they're going to do next.
I am saddened by the number of times I hear reference to 're-action'......If a driver is having to react to something...that driver is already, ''too late''...

Today I was held-up [prevented from making better progress] by a number of very clean, small cars which were 'out & about'.

I think it's about time these drivers of modern [brand new?] cars were compelled to pull over when they detect a number of vehicles sitting behind them.
Failing to do so can only get the drivers of modern cars a bad name.
There's nothing more frustrating for drivers of old vehicles, who are held up by a driver in a new car, dawdling along as if unaware of those around them..or, who couldn't care less [or, appear to do so?].....shouldn't be allowed!
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
riley541 wrote:
Paul fairall wrote:

the other option is to pay particular attention to other drivers who may pull out or stop suddenly and allow more road to stop. The extra power doesn't come into it.

Thank you for the driving lesson Wink

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
alanb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I have had is some one in a Mercedes running into the back of me in my Morris 8, they were so busy admiring the car they didn't realise it could stop so quickly.

Morris 8 two seater
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riley541 wrote:
Paul fairall wrote:
riley541 wrote:
Paul fairall wrote:

Thank you for the driving lesson Wink
dont mention it Very Happy
8_10 Brass Cleaner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents

I regularly drive something historic that proceeds at approx 10mph.

Ive even been 'pulled' by the police for the alledged crime of holding up traffic.

This was on the A49 approaching Church Stretton in Shropshire heading south. At the point I was stopped I had 3 or 4 cars behind me.

Did I know why I'd been pulled? I suggested he enlightened me. Ques. I pointed out that there was 3 or 4 cars behind me, hardly a que. We've had reports of large ques (which was probably quite true). I asked him to tell me where he considered it safe for me to pull in and let the traffic passed. In a lay by was the answer. I pointed out that we'd stopped in the last one for lunch at Bayson Hill, and the next one was about 1/2 mile further south, that my hands were tied. And that it was a good job that I pulled into places that he didnt consider safe or he would still be stuck in the que behind me. At that point he told me to get on my way.

The point is, you can only pull in if there is a safe place to do so. The rozzers would need to provide that evidence via the CPS if you forced a date in front of the beak. I doubt it would even get that far.

As for a P6 doing 38mph. So what, half the old folk round here cant even drive that fast for fear their teeth may fall out. I overtake most of them in my Austin 7, also some of the lorrys doing 50!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: