classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Restored or Original.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have it in a trice....all it needs is a good hoover out, maybe a wipe down here & there?

I don't know what the engine bay looks like, or the underside, however.

I also would not deliberately age something...accidentally, yes, but not deliberately.

I prefer sound but serviceable, rather than glossy and sparkly. I never ever had a glossy & sparkly car, ever.....perhaps the only glossy & sparkly cars I ever even saw, were on motor show stands.

I like the old technologies because, they are what they are. That Bentley is [I assume?] a sound old bus, good for many years of service yet....doing what it was originally made & sold to do.
I have the same attitude to all my old cars....and if, by using them on ordinary, normal car duties, they bring a smile to the faces of others, then all to the good [probably not what they did when new?]

The Bentley featured, came from an age where permanence was a value. It was expected to 'last'...like a good pair of shoes.
Such a pity my pension will not tolerate the fuel consumption, or ridiculous price of the tyres?? Sad
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
mikeC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provided that Bentley still has its original paint, I think it's fabulous; but if it has been repainted at some time in the past I would be very cautious - those Mk6s can hide a huge amount of rot!
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeC wrote:
Provided that Bentley still has its original paint, I think it's fabulous; but if it has been repainted at some time in the past I would be very cautious - those Mk6s can hide a huge amount of rot!

No mention has been made of the condition underneath. I wonder if it has serious rust in the sills?

No M.O.T. and no record of genuine mileage.

I have read that these early cars were built with poor quality steel; apparently common post War.

Every Mk6 buyers guide I have read sounds alarm bells over rust.

Reality check needed?
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engines can have some nasty surprises too:
http://www.nostalgiatech.co.uk/new_page_10.htm

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
The engines can have some nasty surprises too:
http://www.nostalgiatech.co.uk/new_page_10.htm

Peter

Knowing my luck I would be buying a pig in a poke. I had forgotten your nostalgia site compared the Jaguar and Bentley but I remember Ashley saying about the cylinders.

Rose tinted spectacles back in their case.

Sad
mikeC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, if you are serious it might be worth a look. A friend has just bought one, having looked at quite a number. Every other one we looked at had evidence of filler or suspect repairs in the bodywork, but the one he has bought is a cracker body-wise. Nevertheless, he has still spent quite a bit on brakes, new radiator and other bits, but he is now extremely pleased with it. It's a super car to drive with light steering a fabulous gear-change, and quite spoils things for other cars!
Ellis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one truly original car in this area,it's a 1964 Sunbeam Rapier lV now in the custodianship of the son of the original owner.

Although he never exhibits it at local shows, it is driven once a month from the LLandudno area on what we call here the "valley tour" - A470, A5, B5106 and home.

I spoke with it's owner three years ago and although it only "does" about 500 miles per year, it is still in it's original condition - paint, panels. The only faint signs of wear now is on the wooden veneers and the paint is getting a little thin in places. The owner who has no interest in mixing with other classic car owners - his prerogative - has no intention of repainting it. It's total mileage (then) was 62k. It looks a treat.

I have had a close look at a "Beacham" Mark 2 which was on a trailer en route to Eire in the late 1990s. It was flawless, of course, but it had a high degree of artificiality about it. Of course I would have been proud town it but don't think I would ever use it.

It was a museum piece really.

Perhaps some of you have followed the story of my own Mark 2 elsewhere on here and I'm a little apprehensive if I overdo the rerestoration.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advise, Mike. I need to sell the DB so I am thinking about H&H maybe in the spring of next year - if that is a better time to sell an open car?
Ashley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough I may know that car (the MK VI) and the chap who owned it for forty years. It’s interesting and a very early example, so less chrome trim, lighter steering and more attractive interior.

It’ll cost a fortune to sort everything out and buying parts that are of acceptable quality and actually fit, but it would be a nice one to own. I think the sun roof has been blanked off.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley wrote:
Funnily enough I may know that car (the MK VI) and the chap who owned it for forty years. It’s interesting and a very early example, so less chrome trim, lighter steering and more attractive interior.

It’ll cost a fortune to sort everything out and buying parts that are of acceptable quality and actually fit, but it would be a nice one to own. I think the sun roof has been blanked off.

I am much obliged to you Ashley. Your input may be needed again if I go any further with it. The sun roof may be a deciding issue- not that I need one particularly, but the question is: "how much damage has been done by blocked drains?". I know that it can be an issue - and particularly expensive with these cars.

I don't really want to take on a great heap of work not least because I have a painful right arm which takes the fun out of many jobs. I am also developing cataracts which will eventually need surgery. Sad
Ashley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They’re one of the best driving cars made and arguably R-R’s Best effort. I never liked the later cars because they were horrible to drive, though better now with radials and without seized kingpins.

I like the early MK VIs, especially the lighter steering, which was criticised at the time, presumably by ex Derby Bentley owners. Theirs was very direct and heavy, often with a sticky box.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked it out and it has been sold.

I didn't really imaging it would hang around for long. Sad
JohnDale

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

Hi Ray,my choice would have been the beautiful Park Ward Drophead further down the page - I don't mind that it's shiny. A little out of my price range but
luckily it's a left hooker so I won't be bidding! Cheers,JD.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnDale wrote:
Ray White wrote:

Hi Ray,my choice would have been the beautiful Park Ward Drophead further down the page - I don't mind that it's shiny. A little out of my price range but
luckily it's a left hooker so I won't be bidding! Cheers,JD.

My friend's Mulliner MkV1 has been brought up to a beautiful standard. The only reservation I have about the later big boot cars is they are some 6" longer and also wider. The earlier cars with 4.25cc engine are just that bit more "owner driver" and I wouldn't really want an automatic. I have to admit though, that the coach built models can be much more pleasing to look at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: