classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

First time taxing
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: First time taxing Reply with quote

I have just visited the Post Office to tax my 1950 Commer lorry, it has a new type V5C and I filled in the V112 form, they did the bar code on the V5 and then promptly told me the system wont accept it and there is nothing they can do!

We are booked in a show for 2 days time, they told me to either phone DVLA or apply for another V5C!
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you not tax it on line?
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just tried and it says no because of the taxation class. On the V5C it states the class as 'Exempt' wheras my cars say 'Historic'?
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now being told I can change the vehicle tax class at the Post Office? Has anyone done this and how quick is it?

Such a lot of hassle for something in my mind the DVLA have got wrong if it is the class on the V5C.
consul 57

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

typical dvla 'computer says no' answer.
many people have had similar problems registering or retaxing vehicles in the classic press.
good luck with it.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
I am now being told I can change the vehicle tax class at the Post Office? Has anyone done this and how quick is it?

Such a lot of hassle for something in my mind the DVLA have got wrong if it is the class on the V5C.

I changed the tax class on my Audi A8 at the post office when I taxed it for the first time as a new owner, it took seconds.

This was back in the days of tax discs and I had't noticed after I bought it that it was classified as 'disabled' (or similar) with zero tax due - the previous owner was deceased, the car was sold to me by his son. As that didn't apply to me the counter staff just changed the class there and then, no problem at all.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to (re)tax the Volvo the other day, using just the green slip from the logbook. Needless to say it didn't work either, fortunately the new V5C arrived shortly afterwards and I was able to do it then. Its taxation class is recorded as Historic Vehicle.

In the old days you could change the tax class at the Post Office and they'd change it for you then send it away, there and then, but what happens now I can't say, it'd be interesting to hear how you get on though.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have phoned the DVLA, they have assured me that the tax class can be changed in minutes at a Post Office Counter. I wonder why the PO yesterday did not know that?

They did say though that if the PO yesterday had tried anything other than checking the bar code on the V5C that it may mean having to send it off and waiting 10 days!

I also asked why my new V5C has an out of date taxation class, the class has apparently not been used for years! They said they do not check and only re-enter information from the original!
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a different post office. Preferably one that's still a "proper" post office rather than a kiosk/counter inside one of these modern inconvenience stores. Post offices are like garages and MOT stations, really - some know their job but the others... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
I have phoned the DVLA, they have assured me that the tax class can be changed in minutes at a Post Office Counter. I wonder why the PO yesterday did not know that?

It seems to vary from PO to PO. When I taxed the Firenza after it first became eligible for VED exemption I was expecting trouble, but my local PO had recently been refurbished and maybe they'd all been on new training courses. I was able to change the class to "Historic", get 12 months free VED and they sent the V5C off for me, exactly as Rick described, all in a minute or two. I was a bit worried as mine has an earlier manufacture date so it didn't look at first glance as if it should be exempt. But I had no trouble. I have spoken to others who, in the same situation, have been told by their PO to post the V5C to get the class changed.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to the main Post Office in Glastonbury on my way home today, they have always been very helpful in there and at least I can explain it properly to them.

After all the effort to get the vehicle ready for this weekend and the money to insure it and fill it with fuel etc this is not something I wanted to stumble on.
Kenham

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use it anyway, it is their incompetence that has caused the problem. Has anyone ever been fined for not taxing a tax free vehicle?
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenham wrote:
I would use it anyway, it is their incompetence that has caused the problem. Has anyone ever been fined for not taxing a tax free vehicle?

It has been done.....the fine is for the offence of either [a] not taxing[even though zero VED]...or [b] not declaring SORN.
All recorded vehicles must be either one or the other. {Unless none of either had been attempted since the 1990's]
The fine is in two components...a fine for not carrying out a statutory duty [the TAx/SORN] and secondly, the demand for back-tax.

The latter will depend on when the vehicle was last taxed...not really an issue for a pre-1960 vehicle, but more so for one that's 40 years old.

Incidentally, our vehicles are not 'tax-free'.....all vehicles are subject to VED [tax]....the reality is, we pay zero VED [which could be changed at any moment, if so desired]

Some years ago, I quite simply forgot to SORN one of my cars [long since gone]...it had been laid up pending gearbox repairs some months before the VED ran out...next thing I know I got a snottogram from DVLA. Now, the MoT ran out at the same time I laid the car up.....so even if I had wanted to tax it, I couldn't, as it did not have a current MoT....and DVLA were aware of that.
But, they still wanted to charge me 'back-duty'...[even though it was not possible to tax it].....I argued the toss with them over that particular issue...told them I'd see them in Court, & let a Magistrates' Bench decide....they kindly dropped the claim for back duty...but I still paid the fine for not declaring SORN.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I visited the main PO and an older chap who works there who has helped before.
I explained the situation and what the DVLA had said, he checked all documents and changed the tax class in section 7 of the V5C to 'Historic', he then entered that info to the computor and was promptly told 'not possible, please contact DVLA'!
It was almost like a challenge to him, he tried a couple times, aborting each time it failed. Finally he got it to accept it!
The lorry is now taxed and he was as pleased as we were. The V5C has been sent off but he taxed it from August 1st.
Very very relieved.
consul 57

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done, which show are you going to?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: