classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Garage finds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
petelang

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Garage finds Reply with quote

[img]https://flic.kr/p/2mmxyfN[/img]
[img]https://flic.kr/p/2mmFgSd[/img]
[img]https://flic.kr/p/2mmBuBG[/img]
Found in a garage clear out. Anyone here could tell me anything about them?
I guess they are some kind of oiler but for what?
Peter

Last edited by petelang on Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:26 am; edited 2 times in total
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(When you click the "share" link, you need to use the BBCode option, and then remove the "URL" parts from the link that you paste in here).
petelang

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I've never got the hang of posting pics on here and to be honest, reading your instructions, I'm still none the wiser.
Do you mean I should tick the "Disable BBCode" and exactly what bit of the URL should I not include?
Peter
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you have the image open in flickr, click on the "share" box and pick "bbcode" from the different sharing options. You should see this, where you can pick the image dimensions that you want to share:

When you click on the link in the text box, it'll get copied to your clipboard automatically. Then you can open the "post reply" or "new thread" box and paste it into the box:

In the image above, I've highlighted the bits that need to be removed. You can see on the second line there is a URL surrounded by "IMG" tags, that's all you need to leave, as below:

Hope that helps a bit. It'd be nice if Flickr would just provide the IMG tags without the surrounding link back to itself, but I can't see a way to do it and lots of other image hosting sites do this too. Not sure why the forum gets upset about it, unless there's a problem with posting links. Don't click on "disable BBCode in this post", that's the thing that allows the IMG tags to work.
petelang

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
When you have the image open in flickr, click on the "share" box and pick "bbcode" from the different sharing options. You should see this, where you can pick the image dimensions that you want to share:

When you click on the link in the text box, it'll get copied to your clipboard automatically. Then you can open the "post reply" or "new thread" box and paste it into the box:

In the image above, I've highlighted the bits that need to be removed. You can see on the second line there is a URL surrounded by "IMG" tags, that's all you need to leave, as below:

Hope that helps a bit. It'd be nice if Flickr would just provide the IMG tags without the surrounding link back to itself, but I can't see a way to do it and lots of other image hosting sites do this too. Not sure why the forum gets upset about it, unless there's a problem with posting links. Don't click on "disable BBCode in this post", that's the thing that allows the IMG tags to work.

I don't get anything like that when I click on share in flicr.
I just get copy url, and a massive list of apps.
The URL is the one I copied and put between the two img tags.
I used to use Flickr before and it was simple but they have changed it and now all the menu is symbols and less options. It's a complete pain the the backside now.
Quite how you got that link to the photo, to me is pure genius. I can't achieve that whatever I try.
Why do they make it so bloody difficult when sticking stuff on Facebook is so easy?
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petelang wrote:

I don't get anything like that when I click on share in flicr.
I just get copy url, and a massive list of apps.

Are you doing it from a phone, perhaps? I'm on a normal desktop PC, my phone probably won't open flickr.

The key is the "BBCode" - when you want to host the picture on a forum, it's a different url than if you want to give someone a direct link to the photo. Presumably if you follow the URL you are using, you'll get the whole web page containing that image with all the flickr menus and stuff around it, where the URL that you get in the BBCode link is just the image itself.
Kenham

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really pleased, I thought it was just me who could not post photo's. Sad
petelang

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowadays I do just about most things on a Samsung tablet device, or my Sony Experia Phone.
The laptop takes about an hour to boot up (yes, another technology frustration) so I tend not to bother unless I have made the tea to sit and chill.
I'll try and investigate on that later, see what the difference is.
But to post pics to anywhere else the tablet is really quick. It just doesn't seem to like Flickr.
Thanks for the advice and Ken, you are not alone....
47p2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Garage finds Reply with quote

Oiler large by Peter Langridge, on Flickr

Oiler large 2 by Peter Langridge, on Flickr

Oiler small by Peter Langridge, on Flickr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: