classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Cult Classic (or should that be Capri?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:45 pm    Post subject: Cult Classic (or should that be Capri?) Reply with quote

We often read articles about classic cars and feel that they are biased. I think this is a very fair (and I believe accurate) article about a car that I have liked since they were introduced. To see a brand new one was - to a small boy - an exciting prospect.

Unfortunately, my Dad considered the Capri as impractical; considering the cramped interior he had a point.

https://www.carandclassic.com/magazine/ford-consul-capri-cult-classic-not-best-seller/
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why I still argue that the Capri Mk1 is actually the Mk2 etc etc.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always surprised that the Classic and Capri had such a short life. They were hardly around before the Cortina displaced them.

I also couldn't understand why the Corsair was produced. It's as if there was a load of independent designers all given free reign in the same product area. The latter clearly influenced by the '62 Thunderbird.

Peter.
bjacko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:41 am    Post subject: Ford Capri Reply with quote

I always thought it was an ugly car.
The article goes on about what Ford produced. The mustang was a good looking car in my opinion and the latest one is also good looking but oh the finish is terrible on the ones sold in Australia and they are plagued with problems from what I hear.
mikeC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ford wasn't the first British manufacturer to try a 2-seater (or 2+2) coupe version of an existing saloon, Triumph was there a couple of years earlier with the Herald coupe. Neither were big sellers, and people now claim them as sales failures, but were they? They provided a 'halo' version for the bread-and-butter model, bur surely no-one really expected them to be big sellers?

The later Capri was a totally different animal - it could claim to be a full 4-seater, which the Consul Capri (and the Herald) could not.

Oh, and the claim that the Consul Capri's dipped-beam stalk control was a 'first'? Again Triumph was there beforehand with the Herald (and I have never seen that claimed to be an industry first, anyway).
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had the opportunity to try the Consul Capri so I can't speak well or ill of it. I do however have a memory of a Consul Classic but only as a passenger.

The article correctly describes how the heavy construction imparted a sense of safety. The car I went in was certainly comfortable and seemed quite delightful. It was certainly more substantial than the Mk1 Cortina which I always thought was a bit "tinny".

From memory, the Consul range (like the Anglia before it) was horribly prone to rust.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this one. Not the original engine or wheels. Better seats (leather?).

One should be wary of a car that seems 'tarted up'. I hate to think what horrors might be hidden.... Surprised

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1409508
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally don't like US designed car styles (engines a different matter) , however the original UK Capri IMOI is ok. Never driven a Capri so possibly the common name the later model was given when I was teenager "Crapi" is unfair ?

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember who said it (probably the teacher at my school who had one ) but when I was an impressionable young lad - who thought the Classic Capri was wonderful - I was told in a dismissive way that in fact the original 1300 was "pretty hopeless".

The 1500 engine was a big improvement...but not before the underpowered car had suffered a reputation for crankshaft failure.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
I generally don't like US designed car styles (engines a different matter) , however the original UK Capri IMOI is ok. Never driven a Capri so possibly the common name the later model was given when I was teenager "Crapi" is unfair ?

Dave

I must be bit of a snob... but I can't help feeling it is not the Capri, as such, at fault .... rather the type of driver they attract. Shocked
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeC wrote:
Ford wasn't the first British manufacturer to try a 2-seater (or 2+2) coupe version of an existing saloon, Triumph was there a couple of years earlier with the Herald coupe. Neither were big sellers, and people now claim them as sales failures, but were they? They provided a 'halo' version for the bread-and-butter model, bur surely no-one really expected them to be big sellers?

At least Triumph didn't need to spend big money to produce the Herald coupe. The way Heralds were put together would have made it a pretty cheap option and well worth trying.
bjacko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject: Two Searer British Cars Reply with quote

Morris had a two seater soft top version of the Saloon models of the Morris Cowley, Morris Minor, Morris 8, and many other Pre-war Morris models.
In fact the ubiquitous Morris 8 Two seater is still the most sought after of the pre-war Morris cars today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: