classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

A Mosquito hit my Windscreen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: A Mosquito hit my Windscreen Reply with quote

https://scontent-man2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/319164175_841609140401252_1690387068680034451_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=JCbL3jeemJ4AX8si79M&_nc_oc=AQmceWQE027vI1pZQWh-I-p8h6SL1YvSiajMMH8qMgZTlgOX1i0U-pkaiRes39xACQw&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx&oh=00_AfA-f-tYSKCxoZ4P_Y0NnI_-75VvkwSnBRUTZROsu97l-g&oe=63A2E7F7
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did well to get that down there with both engines stopped. (No prop tip damage shown on the upright blades)
Presumably it happened at night as well because it wouldn't still be like that after nightfall if it happened earlier in the day.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Crashbox

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What became the post-war (1948-1971) Morris Minor was originally going to be launched as the Morris Mosquito, after the WW2 aircraft, but a somewhat disgruntled Viscount Nuffield insisted on resurrecting the name-plate of his favourite little pre-war baby car. Miles Thomas, the then Chairman of Nuffield Group (Morris Motors) wasn't very happy about that, as it was his idea to name it Mosquito. The idea was to have a more up-market Wolseley version badged as a Wasp but that was canned and never saw the light of day with the Minor bodyshell. The Wolseley had to wait until the 1500/Riley 1.5 was launched in the 1950s, which used the underpinnings and floorpan of the Minor... and was also meant to be sold as a Morris Minor. The car industry is full of 'What ifs'

1932 Morris Minor S.V. Two-Seater
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure our mature readers are aware of this, but just for the benefit of the younger ones. the Mosquito was initially narrower than the Minor and one consequence of it being widened is the 4+" wide strip down the bonnet reminiscent of when the original bonnets were cut in half and widened, and a similar central insert seen in the bumpers of the early "low light" Minors.

Straight 6
V8 V10

Last edited by Penman on Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a pity that Austin didn't have a similar change of mind when they designed the A30... ...but I suppose they had the A40.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
I'm sure our mature readers are aware of this, but just for the benefit of the younger ones. the Mosquito was initially narrower than the Minor and one consequence of it being widened is the 4+" wide strip down the bonnet reminiscent of when the original bonnets were cut in half and widened, and a similar central insert seen in the bumpers of the early "low light" Minors.

Hence the inserts to the bumpers.

Peter
[/img]
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I find fascinating is look at the size of the Merlin engine in comparison with the car!
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously there will be a fair number of ancillaries in the nacelle as well but the basic Merlin dimensions are Length 225.3 cm (88.7 in)., Width 78 cm (30.7 in.), Height 101.3 cm (39.9 in.)

Straight 6
V8 V10
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
What I find fascinating is look at the size of the Merlin engine in comparison with the car!

bjacko

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:38 am    Post subject: Merlin Engine Reply with quote

Well it is a V 12 and probably has a super charger and large carby attached as well. 6" bore and 6" stroke if I remember correctly. Spark plugs in the V were a difficult job especially when its winter. I was an apprentice with small hands and used to get the job and "if you drop a plug in the V, you retrieve it". luckily I never dropped one even when it was -3 degrees and no gloves.
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention it, but among the ancillaries in the nacelle, you will also find the undercart.

Straight 6
V8 V10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: