classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MoT changes 2022
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:22 pm    Post subject: MoT changes 2022 Reply with quote

Just in case you missed anything, I still get notification as a consumer panellist.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/UKDVSA/bulletins/33e709c

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Penman

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrie from LMM picked up a car from Scotland for a friend who wanted the engine.
IT is an NSU RO80 and he is showing just how badly bodged an MoT exempt car COULD be and yet still driving about (Before he brought it down from Scotland)

He asks at the end "Is this the worst bit of "bodging" (I don't like that term because Bodgers are skilled artisans so can someone suggest another?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwWmBlWPbX8

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know not everyone agrees with me but I still maintain that if the Authorities require all MOT exempt cars to be road legal, then they should not have placed the onus on owners/drivers who are not necessarily qualified to know.

In that respect we should be glad that the law doesn't require owners/drivers of historic vehicles to be qualified.

All of which is no excuse for deliberate deception where there is a safety risk The vendor of my TC, for example, had packed the wheel cylinders with grease to hide leaks. Even an MOT inspection may not have picked that one up.

Que sera sera.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know not everyone agrees with me but I still maintain that if the Authorities require all MOT exempt cars to be road legal, then they should not have placed the onus on owners/drivers who are not necessarily qualified to know.

It isn't just all MoT-exempt vehicles which are required to be roadworthy when on the public highway, but ALL vehicles!

Simply possessing a valid MoT doesn't mean that vehicle is actually, road-worthy [IE legal to use on the roads].

The possession of a UK driving licence [in the relevant categories] requires the holder to be aware of what is required to be roadworthy [and road legal], and ignorance is no excuse, etc etc.

That, is a condition of the issue of a driving licence.

The trouble is, too many folk think ignorance of the Law is actually a valid excuse.

The example video used doesn't say whether the journey actually caused any collisions? Or difficulties in driving it?
Therefore, the journey was completed, safely!

The video only highlights where the OP thought there might, at some point, be an issue affecting safety.

There are still vehicles lawfully running around with only two wheels braked, for example? Does that fact make them 'unsafe?'

As an example of the limited validity of an MoT test in guaranteeing what some folk think is, roadworthiness, concerns things like 'working and accurate [within legal limits] speedos, for example. Not tested on an MoT test!

Another concerns tinted windows, and the legally-required amount of light they allow to pass.
A few percentage points under the legal minimum limit, and it's a 50 quid fine.....and can be [& is] tested at the roadside. If they only allow a limited amount of light too pass [below something like 25%??] then the vehicle can be impounded, or cannot be moved further.
For the ''average'' driver, a difficulty in seeing others at night, for example??

Yet, not tested on an MoT test....and indeed, may not be tested for the entire lifetime of a vehicle......until 'caught', that is.

I'd be inclined to go round one's daily and rip off all the tints...Will take around a day to remove the glue from one window...

Just in case??

In Italy [I believe??] if one wishes to do any sort of maintenance to one's own car, one must take the thing to an accredited motor mechanic to have the work done.
Hence apparently, the huge uptake in night school classes for basic motor mechanics'' certificates. By a lot of old motor enthusiasts?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to put too fine a point on it, Alastair, what you are implying is that as everyone is legally liable to ensure that their vehicles are fit for purpose, they need to be able to ascertain WHEN to repair their vehicle - or have a qualified person inspect it and advise them if repairs are needed.

Clearly, as most people are not able or willing to do this then to stipulate that their vehicles be inspected by a qualified person on a regular basis would seem to be a sensible, reasonable - if imperfect - requirement. Hence the need to have a current MOT certificate to show that a qualified person has fairly recently found nothing dangerously wrong with it.

The belief by a small number of politicians that simply because a vehicle is old it will be in the hands of people who will correctly maintain it, is in my opinion a mistaken one. They are relying on statistics that show the casualty rate amongst owners of particularly old vehicles is very low.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
to show that a qualified person has fairly recently found nothing dangerously wrong with it.

How ''recent'' do you think is sensible? A year ago? LAst week?

I'm not 'implying' anything at all...merely stating a fact...the driver is wholly responsible for ensuring their vehicle is roadworthy, and complies with the Law, at all times when on the public highway.

That is why the MoT is only truly valid as a 'test,' {examination} on the day it was conducted.
The problem of the whole system is, the real lack of any intensive enforcement.

Like everything else, as long as nothing untoward occurs, then the 'problem' doesn't exist.
BTW, has there been a dramatic increase in road traffic collisions due to vehicles actually being unroadworthy?

Are we actually more likely to find bald tyres on more modern vehicles, than on 40-plus YO cars?
I think so.
Yet, they are tested....
The modern driving test involves a Q & A session regarding basic vehicle checks , etc.

I think there is a lot of BS and fear-mongering going around on this issue.

After all, if an old vehicle owner has any doubts, they can always consult someone who has knowledge.

But the 'compulsion,' the responsibility, lies with all of us when we get behind a steering wheel.

There will always be those who fly ''close to the sun''......always have been....
There will always be those who are prepared to take a chance on something...

Whether it's bald tyres or a rusty sill...
Having to have a valid MoT isn't going to prevent that!

Last edited by alastairq on Wed May 03, 2023 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
norustplease

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should all be clear that every time that you take your car ancient or modern, onto the road, the law says that you, the driver, are responsible for its roadworthiness.

The MOT is a useful periodic check but it is not the insurance against ongoing condition issues that many seem to think, and many of us will have had the experience of an MOT being passed one day and there being a significant issue only a few miles later. What it should be used as is a pointer to things that need specific attention and owners should be prepared to service their cars properly at regular intervals.

The MOT is not a guarantee of roadworthiness. It cannot tell you whether your brake linings are about to go down to the rivets, whether your brake hydraulics are filthy and full of moisture and about to fail, etc. A car with six months MOT could be as big a death trap as one without any.
Boring Tucson SUV

Last edited by norustplease on Wed May 03, 2023 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add, in the UK, not having a current valid MoT isn't a 'serious' offence.

Whereas, being found in charge of an unroadworthy vehicle [as required by Law] is far more seriously treated.
bjacko

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject: MOT's Reply with quote

MOT's are like testing lights. you switch them on and they are fine, then next time you switch them on a bulb has blown.
Accidents due to not being roadworthy are very rare, other than the clowns who drive on worn out tyres.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some people object to paying for a positive outcome. I do.
norustplease

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a far more serious issue, as identified by FBHVC in their Newsletter no 2. of 2023, reporting ongoing discussions with DVLA. Below are four items extracted from a much longer list of recently stated 'new' policies as expressed by DVLA in connection with Historic Vehicles, in many cases without any further consultation with FBHVC , or, it appears, anyone else. The first would also affect those building a 'new' period replica body on to an original chassis, as is Ray White.
The second of these is the most damning and is clearly as much a surprise to FBHVC as everyone else.

Refusal to register cars with recently constructed but period typical bodies in apparent contradiction of agreement previously reached with Vehicle Policy.

• Contrary to long-standing practice that like-for-like repairs to a vehicle were not considered to affect its identity or status it now appears that any repair to a chassis or monocoque will be regarded as a modification and the vehicle will no longer be considered as historic

• Making holes in a monocoque is also considered to be a modification with the same consequences.

• Refusal to accept that a historic vehicle is most unlikely to be able to obtain an IVA and that as a result the allocation of a Q registration to such a vehicle renders it incapable of registration in the UK.

(The list is verbati
m.)
The issue of a hole in a monocoque has already bitten the owner of an electrified Mini, a case recently widely publicised by Hagerty, amongst others. Most correspondents were puzzled by the refusal to accept the car even if the hole was welded up! Item three above perhaps explains this.

If pursued as an active policy, this means that most 'project' cars that have been extensively repaired or restored, are probably no longer legally Historic Vehicles and would need to be submitted for an IVA, which would in most cases, mean the end of the line for that particular car. This is a potential extinction event for much of the Classic Car movement, particularly those involved with post war cars.
How would DVLA know that you had repaired your car body with new cills, outriggers, etc?. Well, potentially as a result of your car being submitted for an MOT and having repairs reported back to big brother.

I'd steer clear of the MOT man until this is sorted out.
Boring Tucson SUV
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd steer clear of the MOT man until this is sorted out.

Something my own MoT tester was at pains to encourage....

In other words, once ''in'' the system, it is very hard to get out of the 'system'!
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: MOT's Reply with quote

bjacko wrote:
MOT's are like testing lights. you switch them on and they are fine, then next time you switch them on a bulb has blown.
Accidents due to not being roadworthy are very rare, other than the clowns who drive on worn out tyres.

A very good point indeed!

However, on the latter part, I do sometimes wonder whether the background of the driver has something to do with the attitude towards such obvious safety items?
For example, many drivers of minicab-type taxis come from places like Afghanistan, or elsewhere....where a tyre is deemed to have a useful life still, despite the actual tread pattern disappearing long ago?
What I'm trying to say is, the place and attitudes a driver grew up with, will often make such trivia as tyre tread inconsequential, as long as a living is being made.

Profits are tight, therefore, profit rules, OK?
The ability to simply keep rolling becomes paramount...

But, there is nothing new in that attitude in the UK.

Back in the mid -1970's, I found temporary winter employment as a minicab driver fo the town's local, and biggest minicab firm. Biggest solely i the number of cabs running.
They were all, without exception, BMC Farinas...
I found all the company cars,without exception, bounced down the local roads in a most alarming fashion!
The shock absorbers, being lever arms, were totally kernackered!

Lights only worked in a random fashion...but, at midnight, or 2 A M, when the local clubs were chucking out, the local punters couldn't have cared one jot...and the basic fare being half a crown, [25 pence]...meant that as long as they got home OK, they couldn't have cared less about trivial stuff like roadworthiness.

I suspect today's attitudes, what with OObaH, etc, are totally different?

At the time, I got myself a Wolseley 16/60 Farina...with working shockers and light bulbs....Which made not one jot of difference to punter's attitudes!

At least the heater worked! It was wintertime, after all...up on the NE coast!
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the sort of person who will ignore officialdom until it catches up with me. I can see me ending up in prison for failure to obey Big Brother.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norustplease wrote:
There is a far more serious issue, as identified by FBHVC in their Newsletter no 2. of 2023, reporting ongoing discussions with DVLA. Below are four items extracted from a much longer list of recently stated 'new' policies as expressed by DVLA in connection with Historic Vehicles, in many cases without any further consultation with FBHVC , or, it appears, anyone else. The first would also affect those building a 'new' period replica body on to an original chassis, as is Ray White.
The second of these is the most damning and is clearly as much a surprise to FBHVC as everyone else..............

This must be worrying, particularly to anyone rebuilding an unregistered 'Historic Vehicle'. It is at best little more than scare mongering ...and at worst a potential threat to our hobby.

Fortunately, my car has remained fully road legal throughout it's rebuild.

I am left wondering why historic vehicles have been exempted from the M.O.T. if the intention was to weed them out?

It looks more like confused thinking rather than policy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: