classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

2 Door British Medium Sized Saloons Built 1950-56
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose 15 years ago the values were rock bottom. These cars were undervalued for a long time but I think they may be getting appreciated more now.

I think those colours do look a bit odd though. I would respray it.
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millers Guide for 2001 gives :-
Condition 1) £7000.
Condition 2 £4000
Condition 3 £1500

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An unlikely clue to a hidden disaster with the Ash body frame on these cars is that cracks appear towards the end of the narrow strips of metal above and below the spare wheel carrier lid. One could easily dismiss this as general wear and tear of the aluminium. That would be a mistake. Sad
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to be a lad living near Drax, who had these ACs....?

Last I saw him, he had a bare ally saloon, minus its roof, making it a 4 seater type of Buckland?
The AC 6 cylinder engine was a very old design, possibly going back to the 1920s?

His preference for power was the Ford inline six [Zephyr/Zodiac?]

I believe AC also offered this engine [as a cheaper option?] in their Ace sports car as well as the Bristol sixpot?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
mikeC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badhuis wrote:

Never realised that metallic was an option back then. For the early 50s Sunbeam Alpine yes (light blue metallic) but did not know for the AC as well. Does this seem original then?
The two tone dividing looks a bit home-decided.

The two-tone treatment is non-original, but the light green could well be the original or a close match. The AC was available in several metallic colours, light green, pale blue, silver and mid-grey, and possibly maroon although I'm not so sure of that. Rootes had been using metallic colours on their Talbot and Sunbeam-Talbot range since 1936.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Studebaker was probably the first company to introduce metallic paint about 1930. The metallic effect was obtained by mixing dried fish scales in the paint
nascar24

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:13 pm    Post subject: 2 Door British Medium Sized Saloons Built 1950-56 Reply with quote

Good range of replies, thanks but i need to be more specific on what i am looking for so do i start a new thread or shall i plough on?

Ploughing on, looking for 2 door medium sized [approx 14ft long] basic saloons up to 1600 cc that were available in the UK from 1949 to 1955. I dont think there were many unless you know otherwise........?
nascar24

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:14 pm    Post subject: 2 Door British Medium Sized Saloons Built 1950-56 Reply with quote

Good range of replies, thanks but i need to be more specific on what i am looking for so do i start a new thread or shall i plough on?

Ploughing on, looking for 2 door medium sized [approx 14ft long] basic saloons up to 1600 cc that were available in the UK from 1949 to 1955. I dont think there were many unless you know otherwise........?
mikeC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty restrictive range; I can't think of any two-door 1500-1600cc cars, you have to look at smaller cars like the Austin Dorset, Ford Anglia and Hillman Husky, all of which were around 1200cc, or even smaller ones like the A30/35 and Morris Minor.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ask why 2 doors in particular. Cars with 4 seats are more practical with 4 doors are they not?
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I would ask why 2 doors in particular. Cars with 4 seats are more practical with 4 doors are they not?

Longer doors on 2 door bodies, generally speaking?

Aids entry & egress for those of us not as flexible as we used to be?

2 door Moggie Minor preferable for OAPs to 4 door, for that reason?

I think the biggest aid to ease of entry for drivers has to be suicide doors?

I used to own a Sprite....and could get in & out reasonably well, for someone in their twenties. Access was improved once I fitted a slightly smaller diameter steering wheel.
I can no longer get into a Spridget these days...especially with the standard [factory] steering wheel in place.
Oddly enough, I can get in & out of the Dellow[which is much more cramped and confined, cockpit-wise, than any tin production sports car]...simply because the door's aperture is slightly more forwards than in a Sprite.....the steering wheel, whilst large in diameter, is also nearer my chest, so my knees slide comfortably behind [in front of?] it...Not so with the more commonplace small sports cars.
{Once ensconced, the driving position, leg-wise, is akin to one or two yoga positoons....no room to put left foot at all, so I have to remember to lift it slightly away from the clutch pedal now & again. All very awkward, but does wonder for lower back pain.}
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about getting in and out of the back, rather than the front.

I don't wish to sound alarmist but being a rear seat passenger in a 2 door saloon is not a good place to be in a head on accident. Shocked

( not as bad as being in the front, of course! )
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The longer doors on a 2 door car might make it easier to get in and out when there's plenty of room to open them fully, but in a typically cramped car park space they actually make it harder - the shorter door of a 4 door car can open wider.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The longer doors on a 2 door car might make it easier to get in and out when there's plenty of room to open them fully, but in a typically cramped car park space they actually make it harder - the shorter door of a 4 door car can open wider.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My A30 had two doors and was less practical compared with the 4 door versions that were about at the time.

If you had two passengers to drop off at different locations a decision had to be made as to who would sit in the back. It was all a bit academic really because when the front passenger got out, the person sitting in the back would get out too as they would prefer to sit in the front.! Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: