classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

No excuse for this!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
I’d spray a small test piece, take it round to show the paint shop, they will know how they mixed it and what when in so should be able to identify the problem.

It may be a rouge tint, perhaps one that’s not used often and has some contamination?

Dave

It's a four hour round trip to St Helens and I am too busy with the Cattery this time of year so I will just have to lump it (no pun intended!).
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
ukdave2002 wrote:
I’d spray a small test piece, take it round to show the paint shop, they will know how they mixed it and what when in so should be able to identify the problem.

It may be a rouge tint, perhaps one that’s not used often and has some contamination?

Dave

It's a four hour round trip to St Helens and I am too busy with the Cattery this time of year so I will just have to lump it (no pun intended!).

St Helens! Do you not have paint shops in Derby? Shocked
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been going to NTG for the MG paint as they were recommended by Steve Baker. They are supplied by 'Auto Paints St Helens'.

The latest attempt to flat the paint has revealed just two or three tiny white specks. I suppose that will not matter in the great scheme of things.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto-Paints, used to manufacture their own paints, in St Helens, some 35 years ago, they were called Auto Paint International then,and used to supply their own trade counters nationally,they were one of the first to corner the classic car market by supplying ready mixed paint colours that customers could order by the name, without having to supply a code.
They went bust in around 2004, the manufacturing business was sold off, some franchise simply changed to a new paint manufacturer.
The original owners reopened a Paint Supply business “Auto Paints” and now get paint from Technico UK who manufacture in Stoke-on-Trent.
A mate of mine ran a Paint Shop in Stoke called Color Werx, all the paint they supplied was from Technico, handy as if the ran out of anything they could nip round to the factory, unfortunately his business went bust during Covid.

I now use a Paint Shop, that’s round the corner from OCC H.Q! , they have a couple of van runs daily in to Nantwich, which is handy.

Personally I’d always use a local paint shop, for a number of reasons, not least that you can get it corrected if the mix needs a shade tweak, and if you are also getting consumables they will often throw in a couple of mixing sticks and pots for free. One problem with paint is that even from the vehicle factory over time shades will vary, so you always should have something for the paint shop to mix from rather than relying on a code or colour, not a problem in your case as you are painting the whole car and the paint is coming out of single can.

If you have not got them, you can get the data sheets for your paint here:

https://www.technicouk.com/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=1

You need to register, to download them, don’t worry,they won’t bombard you stuff!

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. I will look into it.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now found contaminants in the primer. This is not a super cheapo Chinese option but nearly £50 for 2.5 litres.

The situation gets worse. At the bottom of a 5 litre can of top gloss thinners I found a whole load of gritty bits. I need to get a filter for my spray gun sooner rather than later. Fortunately I filtered my last gun full of mixed paint before spraying.

I have found the very fine nylon mesh supermarket bags make for good filtering material. Unfortunately they seem to have gone over to paper bags now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: