classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Genuine barn find.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:53 pm    Post subject: Genuine barn find. Reply with quote

This is how we like to find them. 1954 Series 11 Morris Minor with just two owners from new and never restored.

https://www.carandclassic.com/auctions/1954-morris-minor-series-ii-8Wkq38

Personally, I would have a problem with how to tackle it.

For lovers of patina, however....... Wink
mikeC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no guarantee that it has had only two owners from new - it has had two owners since the DVLA computerised the records in 1983. It could have had a dozen owners before then, those details were not included in the update - we would need to see the old green log book for the details pre-1983. And with a replacement engine the mileage could well be 165,000 rather than 65,000; shame it's lost its original registration, too.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike you are right. I posted in a hurry and also missed that it is a Trade sale.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the patina, would make a good oily rag driver if the price stayed low. Something to work on gradually over time and run while your doing it.

Sort of an entry level classic I'd say.

Yes, maybe some discrepancies in advert and I agree its a shame the original registration number is gone.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The absence of it's original registration number is probably the saddest thing. Sad
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earlier MM type dashboard is much nicer than the type later used in the 1000 that my Series II had. I would still avoid the 803 engine and prefer the MM despite being side valve.

Peter
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have it as an 'oily wag' user....

Seems sound of underside and spring mount area?

The original engine & gearbox I'd remove & replace with a 1098cc A series, and a ribbed gearbox if one can be found easily?
This would make it a more feasible user in today's traffic. [For me]
Also, of consideration would be the availability and cost of service items, spare parts, etc.
originality is all well & good, but consumer items need regular replacing, and the later engines are easier for parts.
The other thing I'd add for practical usage is a heater of some sort.
I note that a previous owner has fitted inertia reel seat belts [fronts?] which suggests it being a previous user rather than a garage princess?

Drum brakes I can cope with...especially if fitted with modern, 'soft' linings [which are similar in texture to the original asbestos & cardboard linings?}
Oddly, I can 'smell' the interior already?
[I had two Minors as my first cars, pre-1970...both fo 25 quid, both 948ccs, one a traveller, the other a green saloon.
Even back then, I found the saloon's rear brakes actually didn't operate...Which didn't deter me from driving from Lichfield to Godalming for girlfriend reasons.
Just after I passed my test.
Before being posted to my new ship...

A Minor would suit me now [instead of an MGBGT] for reasons of the physical bending nature of my aged body...in other words, getting in & out of the thing, trying to retain a modicum of dignity.

Most importantly about this particular car is, it appears to have not been molested [much] in any way?
The most irksome thing I fnd with old cars is having to sort out what previous owners have done...or not done? I'd rather be the first to make things wrong...not the fiftieth!
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Crashbox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
The earlier MM type dashboard is much nicer than the type later used in the 1000 that my Series II had. I would still avoid the 803 engine and prefer the MM despite being side valve.

Peter

When BMC was formed and the decision was made to use the running gear of the A30 in the Morris Minor, a Longbridge engineer was down in Cowley and sat in the passenger seat of a prototype Series 2 Minor when the Cowley engineer at the wheel dropped the gearbox from 4th to 1st at a good rate of knots. The Austin guy apparently screamed out something along the lines of "What the bloody hell are you doing old chap?!" The reply was "Our engines and gearboxes can withstand that punishment. We want to ensure your engines and gearboxes are good enough for a Morris."
Well, given the issues I had with the mechanicals of my 1961 Minor Convertible back in the 1990s, I'm not sure they were!!

1932 Morris Minor S.V. Two-Seater
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never actually owned a Morris Minor; I had an A30 instead; basically because I had been given it and knew it's history. I soon ditched the 803 engine for a 1098 and never looked back. The engine had come straight out of an A40 Farina rally car and went like sh8toffa shovel. However, I had to take the twin carbs off (shame) and replace with a single because I couldn't afford the petrol!!

I have, however, worked on many a Morris Minor and it is the 'cosy' early models that appeal to me. I am not sure that with the side valve engine it wasn't quicker than the 803.??

As has been said, the early dash was much nicer and there is something "quaint" I suppose about the split screen. My A30 had a heater which is a must if you are using the car year round.
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'A' series gearboxes had a weak 1st gear, if stressed.
In trials, this weakness comes to the fore, since 1st gear is probably the only gear used in anger [aside from 2nd].
I believe stronger 1st gears were available from the like sf Jack Knight, etc?
But I know little really, as I didn't persevere with an A series gearbox for long.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
'A' series gearboxes had a weak 1st gear, if stressed.
In trials, this weakness comes to the fore, since 1st gear is probably the only gear used in anger [aside from 2nd].
I believe stronger 1st gears were available from the like sf Jack Knight, etc?
But I know little really, as I didn't persevere with an A series gearbox for long.

The big improvement to the gearbox, in my opinion, was the remote control. The original A30 had a ridiculous porridge stirrer.!

IF FITTING A LATER ENGINE TO THE ORIGINAL GEARBOX BEWARE OF THE DIFFERENT THICKNESS BACKPLATES.!! ...(or the engine mountings won't line up!...........dont ask how I know that!!) Embarassed
bjacko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:44 am    Post subject: MM Ser2 Engine Upgrade Reply with quote

I fitted an ex Austin A40 Farina engine in the one I had 50 years ago without any hassle, other than the tripod lifting equipment slipping and everything dropping around me. Still don't know how the poles missed me.
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: MM Ser2 Engine Upgrade Reply with quote

bjacko wrote:
I fitted an ex Austin A40 Farina engine in the one I had 50 years ago without any hassle, other than the tripod lifting equipment slipping and everything dropping around me. Still don't know how the poles missed me.

There, but for the grace of whatever deity one has a leaning for...go many of us, one way or the other...

The nice thing about A series running gear is, most will fit without much hassle.
Most, that is until one finds an A series from a Marina...which used the Trumpet gearbox[a boat anchor if ever there was one?]...Then one had to swap the engine end plates, and flywheel [mods needed]...
When 'scrapping' an old A series engine, in my view always worth keeping the end plates and flywheel...just in case, further down the line, one acquires a Minor?

One never knows, does one?
Crashbox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the mention of Marinas, I saw a period B&W photo of a J-plate Marina (1971) given the Vanden Plas treatment on Twitter last night. I will say it looked far better and more convincing than the Allegro VP that was given the production green light.

1932 Morris Minor S.V. Two-Seater
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone knocks the Marina ...but I thought it was more comfortable and relaxing to drive than the Minor on which it was based. I did 100,000 miles in one and it only let me down twice. Both easy fixes. The seats were more comfortable and it was considerably quieter. The build quality, however, was lamentable. It could have been SO much better!

Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: