classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Would you buy at Auction?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Keith D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vickers, Hawker and Bristol didn't do too badly out of the UK government either. Not to mention Austin and Morris, as well as other car munufacturers who also did very well, benifitting from the war. They were all private companies too.
I am not intending to support the Nazis, who must rate as the biggest pack of bast##ds in the history of the world.
I have visited BMW in Munich and am very aware of what they got up to in the war. They were, I believe, the first big German company to own up. It is all very clearly documented in the BMW museum. However, I do wonder at how much they were 'forced' to behave as they did, and understanding at the same time that it was inexcusable.
But Alastairq has it right, "to the victor, the spoils."
I think I am "annoyed" at the way that Bristol, a comany with very little previous car manufacturing experience, is handed one of the best performance cars of the thirties and was always very shy about where it came from. It took me ages when a youngster in the fifties to confirm that it was, as the design suggested, a prewar BMW.
The Bristol Car Club don't even mention BMW on their history of the cars, on their current web page. Check it out. You can go to to Wikipedia to find the complete involved story.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest suppliers were I believe I G Farben and Krupps. Maybach and Dornier, hidden at the foot of the Alps, didn't do badly either.

Off topic completely, but the book Operation Crossbow is of great interest, detailing very thoroughly the development of the V1 and V2 and mentions a number of companies involved.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, I may not be a purist ... but those indicators look ridiculous on the front wings. Probably the first thing I would do would be to remove them.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Incidentally, I may not be a purist ... but those indicators look ridiculous on the front wings. Probably the first thing I would do would be to remove them.

Yes, a bit titty.

Peter Wink
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
The biggest suppliers were I believe I G Farben and Krupps. Maybach and Dornier, hidden at the foot of the Alps, didn't do badly either.

Off topic completely, but the book Operation Crossbow is of great interest, detailing very thoroughly the development of the V1 and V2 and mentions a number of companies involved.

Operation Backfire.

Going even further off topic.. If you are interested in the V2 rocket then there is a very detailed set of reports written by the British after examining V2 rockets and interviewing German military personnel after the war.

I highly recommend these reports.

Use the first link here to download the five reports: https://www.v2rocket.com/start/chapters/backfire.html

Peter

Last edited by peter scott on Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:57 pm; edited 4 times in total
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An idea I saw once, on a similar aged car, was indicators mounted on easily removable brackets clipped to the dumb irons. So they had modern indicators when on the road, then unclipped/unplugged them at shows so the vehicle appeared to have it's semaphores only.
The flashing indicators were similar to the round ones many M/bikes have on the ends of their handlebars.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those with front fog lamps..

https://youtu.be/ojxUlLjZNiw

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
For those with front fog lamps..

https://youtu.be/ojxUlLjZNiw

Peter

There can be no confusion with those, Peter. Razz
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be a popular option for flashing indicators on the MG T series. I have simply taken some side lights (Lucas 1130) and turned them through 90 degrees. Mounted high up on the petrol tank end panels they have a white/diffused lens with an orange bulb. As the end panels are purely cosmetic reproductions I had no qualms about using them for this. The wiring is hidden behind the panel and exits through a grommeted hole at the bottom rear corner.

I have taken a separate earth wire to a point on the chassis; not trusting to the vagaries of a timber frame.
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all looking very neat Ray. I wonder if the lights would be less obtrusive with amber glasses (better still red glasses. Would your MOT tester let you away with red?)

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
That's all looking very neat Ray. I wonder if the lights would be less obtrusive with amber glasses (better still red glasses. Would your MOT tester let you away with red?)

Peter

I am going to give that some consideration, Peter.

I don't think amber or red lenses are available, which may be why they have amber bulbs...?.

I probably won't be bothering with the M.O.T. test...but no, red should probably not pass. I think it would only be permitted if they were combined with the brake lights and then the lens size (if I could find some) would probably be too small.

Having said that, I wonder how many testers are up to date on the M.O.T. exemptions these days???
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I?d leave as is, there is no perfect way of adding flashing indicators whilst maintaining originality imho, amber lenses look to modern, the combination brake/ indicator isn't perfect, if you are having to add a non original feature it needs to do the job well, so white lenses with orange bulbs gets my vote.

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
I?d leave as is, there is no perfect way of adding flashing indicators whilst maintaining originality imho, amber lenses look to modern, the combination brake/ indicator isn't perfect, if you are having to add a non original feature it needs to do the job well, so white lenses with orange bulbs gets my vote.

Dave

Thanks for the advice, Dave.

What I am really stuck with, however, is where to put the reflectors.

Any suggestions?.............(only repeatable ones!!). Laughing
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the white/clear lenses look better than amber ones would tbh, they look quite smart next to the chrome. As for red lenses, even if they were permitted I don't think they would be a great idea; a flashing red lamp is going to confuse most drivers on the road these days but everyone knows - or at least should know - the meaning of a flashing amber lamp Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: