classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Pre War Morris Colour Identification help needed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Pre War Morris Colour Identification help needed Reply with quote

Hi all
I will be painting my 1939 Morris 8 in the spring. Originally the car was blue body with black wings which is the colours I will re-paint it.

I have been told but can not confirm that the original blue colour was either "oxford blue" or "royal blue" ? Even if I can confirm this colour my local paint supplier has no reference to mix against, (paint codes were not used in 1939). I don't have an original paint chip that they could mix against.
I guess I could just pick a colour that would be close, but would like to get it right if I can.

Can anyone help ?
Cheers Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've probably heard this before, but: Pre-war paints were mixed after the colour name, not a code. To get the correct colours, there are two ways for you to go. One is to take a sample of the original paint (on a panel) to a good refinisher. He should have an optical tool that can measure the tints in the paint, and produce a formula/paint for you. The second is to contact someone like HMG who probably have the correct paint chips.

Remember also that these colours were used long after the war, possibly long enough to have got a code at a later date.

Hope this helps!

UJ
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks UJ

I guess what I need to do if find out what the dark blue colour used by Morris was in the 30's & 40's.

Anyone got a clue ?

Cheers Dave
admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

Somewhere I've got an original colour illustrated Morris sales brochure for (I think) 1932, I'll dig it out later and see if it makes any specific colour references, originally issued by a Morris Agent in Crewe

cheers
Rick
moggiedriver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried asking your owners' club or the museum at Gaydon?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: