classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Music in Classic Cars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
PACresta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Music in Classic Cars Reply with quote

Anyone got any tips as to whats the best music system to fit in a classic. I have been toying with the idea of having something as hidden from view as possible, something like an MP3 player. Whether something could be mounted in the glove box or under the back seat although gaining access to it would a problem then.

My motor is positive earth so i will look into chaging to negative earth, at least that way i won't have to insulate system from the body. The other alternative is a seperate battery?

Would be interested to hear your views and how you have fitted music to your classic. Not an important issue to some but i do love my music, especially when cruising along on a nice summers day Smile
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PA, theres one place in Sale, and also another one just outside of Bristol that will convert original radios to stereo. In other words, you can still have a radio that looks original, but is really an up to date stereo one that can operate a CD changer. Cool

UJ
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get hold of an old FM car radio (you will find most old ones have a switch on the back for +ve or –ve earth), you could use an Ipod with an FM transmitter, the Ipod can be in your pocket or anywhere for that matter. Has to FM though as Ipod transmitters are only FM.
I used to have an old Blaupunkt LW/MW/FM radio made in early 60's it was 12v /6v switchable and -ve or +ve earth, sold it to a bloke who was restoring a porsche 356

Dave

Last edited by UKdave2002 on Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK, thats the point of these guys. They take any radio AM, SW, MW whatever, and without changing its appearence convert it to FM, give it (I think) 4 channels. The agent here also does +ve or -ve earth. Which does make life easier!

UJ
PACresta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, will have to give this some thought. Probably my first decision will be whether to change car to neg/earth. It is not really necessary having said that because, like you say, you can get pos / earth radio's anyway. I will need to weigh up the cost too as i haven't got a doner period radio. I have seen a couple go on Ebay for serious money so i have to prioritise things i need.
I like the idea of an MP3 player transmiting to a FM Radio, would be the ideal answer, just need to get saving a bit Shocked

Thanks again guys.
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PA

A word of warning.

My previous classic was a Rover P4 - with postive earth. It had an original HMV valve radio (See pic) that wasn't working so I thought I would build a small centre console and hide a modern neg earth radio inside it.

I was careful to totally insulate it and wired it "the wrong way round". About three hours after fitting it I could smell burning and ripped open the console to find that the co-ax to the arial was red hot and melting its cover.

Effectively the radio casing was live and current was flowing back to earth down the co-ax. I quickly converted to negative earth and had no more problems.
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PACresta wrote:
Thanks guys, will have to give this some thought. Probably my first decision will be whether to change car to neg/earth. It is not really necessary having said that because, like you say, you can get pos / earth radio's anyway. I will need to weigh up the cost too as i haven't got a doner period radio. I have seen a couple go on Ebay for serious money so i have to prioritise things i need.
I like the idea of an MP3 player transmiting to a FM Radio, would be the ideal answer, just need to get saving a bit Shocked

Thanks again guys.

I have been looking on eBay as I have the same challenge with my MGA (or will have when its on the road!) rather use my ipod than mess about putting cd changer's in! decent FM 60's units seem go for about £80 ish, this one listed on a buy it now £95;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/60-70-Blaupunkt-Ford-Audi-Volvo-Vauxhall-DKW-Radio_W0QQitemZ170074645479QQihZ007QQcategoryZ9903QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
PACresta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Brian that certainly one to watch Shocked Can imagine getting the motor on the road then setting fire to it if i am not careful.
A neighbour was telling me that he thought he would wire his neg earth radio direct to the battery as neg eart (on a positive earth car). The raidio was on the bench and he had ran wires to battery, he said it just literally went up in smoke when connected and switched on.
I will keep a good look out on Ebay Dave, if i am going for a classic radio may as well hang out for a proper Cresta fitted one.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have set my dash on fire in my mini before now, wiring in spotlamps, was before I learnt wiring at college! Wires melting all around me only in the panic to forget the lights switch on/off on a swith down by the heater on a mini, so it carried on melting for ages! I then did the same thing about an hour later!

I am now quite good at electrics, as long as I have the job clear in my head, I spent a day rewiring a cropsprayer, hundreads of cables, each 22 core or simmilar! After about 4 or 5 hours we tried it and it worked! Could not believe it!

Sorry to drift off subject!

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzy, if you feel up to it, theres a bit of electrical work on my Lincoln....but with the system that has, it might mess with your head to much! Laughing

A translation of what they call it here is 'manhood test' Laughing

UJ
Master-J

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: music music Reply with quote

The main problem as I can see it is the fact that FM radios of the old type isnt that common in the UK. In Sweden we have used them since the early 60-ies and therefor its easy to find an old unit at autojumles and fleemarkets and almost any old garage. The prices for top of the line Blaupunkt Franfurts use to be between 2-25£ or for the self seeking Köln 15-50£. Just bought a Frankfurt for 3£ for me wifes Ford Taunus GXL 1972. Natuarly it was perfect and with one of those cheap FM transmitters she can connect it to a cd-player, her mobilephone or an mp3 player without ruin of the cars interior. If anyone needs one of those units I may have the possibility to help you out.
Even if they was made in Germany the blaupunkt radios was sold as originalradios in most cars sold in scandinavia.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that respect Sweden is a bit of a goldmine for old radios. Although having said that, I couldnt find one anywhere for my 300. When I eventually found one, it got converted to 4 channel with an MP3 input as well. So now I'm quite happy with it. Modern sound in an old package.
47p2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a period radio (Radiomobile 100) that has the FM conversion and MP3/CD plug fitted.
The problem with older radios are they only work on AM and the medium,short or long waveband. This gives limited choice of stations to listen to and often does not allow local road reports, which are essential in an older car.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: