classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Another glass question?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
PACresta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Another glass question? Reply with quote

I have been given 4 front and 2 rear screens for my Cresta. The screens have been stood outside for a long period of time so consequently have a patchy film of what looks like limescale. A stanly knife blade cuts into it and it comes off in a powder form. I have tried Meths, vinigar, bleach, thinners all to no avail Confused

Has anyone come across this problem before? Any tips?

Thanks
Brian M

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete

Sorry to state the obvious but have you tried a limescale remover usually used for toliets and baths etc.

I have found it dissolves all sorts of crusty type deposits.
PACresta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have tried Jiff, have been recommended to try Calgon so will give that a go.
Scotty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewellers rouge is a fine grinding compound suitable for glass, or at a push even Brasso if the rouge is difficult to find (which it probably will be).
john-saab

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used paint renovator (T-cut) to remove scatches from my cars windscreen...it worked a treat so i can't see why it wouldnt work here.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try pumice stone as well. If you dont know where to get hold of it, I can give you the name of a supplier in the UK.

UJ
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d avoid using abrasive methods if at all possible as there is always a risk of scratching the screen, which will then require more polishing.
If it is lime scale, hydrochloric acid will shift it very easily, you can buy it in diluted form builder’s merchants, it’s sold as brick cleaner.
Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK, although Jewellers Rouge and Pumice Stone are abrasives, there should be no problem whatsoever using them. JR is so fine it is used for polishing gold, and PS for antique furniture restorations.

UJ
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ If its like JR presume the pumice stone is in some form of powder or paste then? I thought you were advocating using an actual pumice stone! hence the caution!!

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK, sorry, its my fault! Embarassed What I should have called it is Pumice Powder. Its usually bought in what is known as 6/0 grade.

There is a finer one as well, Rotten Stone. Another powder, but correct terminology this time!

Expect to pay around £4.50 - £5.00 for 250 grammes of each.

UJ
PACresta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Dave, i tried a small area with brasso this morning (didn't have any t-cut) and it works. Take your point with the scratching though Dave and i will try your suggestion, sounds good to me Very Happy At least i have established it can be removed, i thought it had permanently stained the glass. Thank you all for your suggestions, great help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: