classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Can Hammerite smooth be sprayed on?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Can Hammerite smooth be sprayed on? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried to use the smooth version of Hammerite with a spray gun?

If so is it possible to get a decent finish, and how? What ratio thinners?

I posted earlier regarding Farecla rubbing compound, if anyone has experience in using that or any other make of cutting paste could you recommend it please?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used farecla and it worked well, much better than T Cut. I find Mer is pretty good (you know, sold at shows by a fella polishing a bright red Mini bonnet etc!), it cuts off the dead layer of paint with minimal elbow grease and leaves a reasonable polished surface afterwards

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told Farecla is what the pro's use but it comes in different grades and I don't know if G3 or G10 etc is the best to use.

I'll try posting on other forums to see if there are any pro's out there that use the stuff.

I daren't ask if you car re-spray with smoothrite though! Laughing
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farecla, make some good products , I dont use them enough to remember thier product codes so refer to this link;

http://www.farecla.com/automotive.asp?id=66&stage=Automotive&set=1

You can get smoothrite in an aerosol from halfords, otherwise I think hammerite make a specific thinner, would presume the ratio will be on the tin ? UJ may know he did some tests on paints I thik hammerite was one of them.

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone that I had contact with brushed Hammerite on.

GUESSING, I would say that if you want to spray it, use max 10% of their thinners, if they have some, although assuming it is similar to the others, it may not be needed.

Thing is, IN MY OPINION, there are better products on the market than Hammerite....

UJ
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UJ, I read in the Austin manual that all Austins of the period my car was made were painted in enamel rather than cellulose.

I've never re-sprayed a car before but I'm willing to give it a try, are there still any suitable paints left to spray with?

I've listened vaguely to the cellulose ban/ two pack difficulties arguments and how they affect the DIY sprayer but to be honest apart from handing over a wad of cash to some other beggar I don't know where to begin.
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Was in B&Q today buying some cement, had a look at the Hammerite paints, you use 2:1 ratio paint: thinners, have to say it’s very expensive in the small pots they sell.

Don’t know what gear you have access to, i.e. compressor & gun, but I would be tempted to use 2 pack. In terms of safety 2 pack is fine for the diy sprayer as long as you have the right mask.

When you buy 2 pack paint you just need to know the colour, decide if you want it as a base coat only (ie you will have to spray a further lacquer on top) then ask for "air drying hardener" and the appropriate amount of thinners, they will give you the mix formulae and most paint suppliers also will give you a graduated ruler with the paint/ thinners /hardener graduations on. You can alter the thinners to suit conditions; don’t forget to buy some cheap cellulose gun clean thinners to clean up with.

If you need to cut the paint afterwards , give it a couple of weeks to fully harden.

Hope this is of use.

dave
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave.

I had thought that 2-pack was a professional climate controlled area that's why I hadn't considered it.

I assume it will paint straight over enamel given a good key?

Regarding the equipment, I could possibly hire something or buy a low end compressor and gun which would be handy for other bits and bobs later.

I know the final result won't be as good as if someone with more experience had done it but I'm a resourceful guy and can usually make at least a tidy job of things once I become familiar with the process.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Try to get a compressor with a decent out put and a large tank.

Cheers

Dave
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define 'decent' ?

The thing is having never used one I wouldn't know a good 'un if I saw one!

What's the least it should have?
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The main “spec” thing to look for on a compressor is the CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) of air it can deliver, most spray guns need about 2-4 CFM, some pro guns use up to 10 CFM (I wouldn't bother with them, I have got good results from a £30 machine mart own brand gun).

If you are using an air fed mask, it will consume a big 6CFM so the compressor would need to be a minimum of 8 CFM (gun dependent).In Practical Classics magazine a couple of issues ago they were painting a Triumph GT6 with 2 pack in a DIY environment with some disposable non air fed masks, a better option as you can now get away with a small compresor.

2 pack is nasty stuff if inhaled, you must have an appropriate mask.

A good source of info is the Machine Mart catalogue; all the guns have the CFM ratings in the catalogue. Up to you whether you then invest in a gun and compressor, or hire one.

In terms of setting the gun up I reference the painting section in Lindsay Porters book “The car Bodywork Repair Manual” (which is printed by Haynes) and the guns instructions .The same book has a big section on painting faults so you can get a steer on where you are going wrong.

Us amateurs will go wrong and have runs and sags in the paint, don’t worry you can flatten the paint afterwards when it is hard. The important thing is the preparation which is well covered in the same book and not a skill just a list of things that are really common sense, like having a clean area to work in, using an airline to blow out any grit or dust , that would have got disturbed when you paint, degreasing the panel getting rid of any traces of polish, by using “Panel Wipe” or at least thinners, and wiping with a “tack rag” which is a sticky cloth the removes the last of any dust from the panel.

I am 99% sure you can use 2 pack over enamal, if you can't you can get an "isolator" primer. Can anyone confirm the 2 pack ok over enamal ?

Good Luck

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK, whats the compressor size you recommend in 'new money'? I've been here so long I've forgotten!

Are you talking free air or at say 6 bars pressure?

old-nail, did you get my email?

UJ
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ , now you are getting technical!! Smile

Compressors over here are rated with a FAD (Free Air Delivery) against CFM. When I bought my compressor I simply added up the CFM requirements for the maximum number of tools / devices I would be running ant any one time and bought a compressor with the same FAD CFM.

Pretty sure you can buy a 5 or 6 CFM compressor and gun kit in the likes of B&Q or Machine Mart for less than £100 these days.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FAD here is usually stated as being at 6 bars pressure. a 6cfm would therefore be about 170l/m at 6 bars.

UK, are we talking the same standard?

UJ
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ

No idea what the standard is!!!, must be one as FAD CFM will vary with pressure, if none you would never be able to compare like with like!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: