classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Can Hammerite smooth be sprayed on?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True enough, UK, true enough. I wonder what happened to the 'common standards throughout europe' policy...is 50 years not long enough? Laughing

UJ
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ that e-mail never arrived either Confused

I checked the link and it worked fine so I'm puzzled?
rustyreks

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: hammerite Reply with quote

Check with a professional spray painter with hammerite my thinking is that they dont like it i think i could be wrong but will affect paint being sprayed over it read this on other sites i would only use it on chassis or under guards not as a top coat etc If it was so good why is it not used on commercial vehicles or ocean boats for rust prevention its a good question.I have been told by a spray painter that the 2 pack primer is the best option for rust control if the surface is clean of rust.It also acts as a filler at the same time but as mentioned it is a nasty need the proper gear to put it on.The chap had painted many cars and found with other methods after about a year the paint would start to bubble.This is only an opinion whatever you decide would like to hear how it goes rustyreks
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a couple of good questions in there rusty, I wonder if anyone would care to offer some opinions?

UJ
richard 2509

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old-Nail wrote:
Hi UJ, I read in the Austin manual that all Austins of the period my car was made were painted in enamel rather than cellulose.

I've never re-sprayed a car before but I'm willing to give it a try, are there still any suitable paints left to spray with?

I've listened vaguely to the cellulose ban/ two pack difficulties arguments and how they affect the DIY sprayer but to be honest apart from handing over a wad of cash to some other beggar I don't know where to begin.
hello, just happened on this post and wondered how you were getting on? i paint cars at work and at home so if you have specific questions maybe i could help?? being in the trade i know a few shortcuts as it were!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: