classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Primers etc
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Jb101

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Primers etc Reply with quote

Morning all,

I am restoring an Austin 101 wich I intend to have professionaly painted at some future point. The problem is I have received conflicting advice on how I protect the repair areas. Apparently if I prime the repar areas now but do not apply the finish coat for some considerable time (as will be the case) there is a possibilty that the primer will absorb moisture which can adversely effect the application of the finish coats. My question is, is this correct and if so what can I use to protect the metal now that will not cause the painter major problems when the time comes?

Cheers

Gerry
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: primers Reply with quote

Hello Gerry

Glad you joined in. You know me as Austin_101 on the welders forum.

I can't answer your question; it is a minefield, isn't it! I have read quite a lot about POR-15, especially in the Frost catalogue www.frost.co.uk which claims to actually dry harder in humid conditions!

Personally, I am planning on hand painting...which is what coach-builders did with commercials back then and will probably use stuff recommended by Stephen Hull (Rick, here, put me on to him): http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/prep.html

Peter
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The information about primer is correct. All primers that I have encountered over many years of restoring are porous, and therefore will allow the passage of water, and allow rust to form underneath. However...

What I started doing a few years ago is the following. All these are American products simply because they are the ones that I can get hold of easily. When the surface is absolutely free from rust, I spray it with a self-etching primer, usually PPG DP40. Then I apply a skim coat of a waterproof filler, such as Duraglass. I can then leave the surface as long as I want, and it never seems to rust. When I am ready to paint, I then flat the skin coat, but leave it whole. Then I cover with a urethane primer, either PPG K200 or K36, which I flat and topcoat.

Sometime in the future, I am thinking about trying to use POR15, but I am very unsure about it. I do know that even if their Tie Coat primer is used, certain paints react with it. And yes, it does dry better in humid conditions. In fact, it MUST have humid conditions to dry, but so do other paints of this type, such as Miracle Paint, manufactured by Bill Hirsch.

As far as coachpainting (handpainting) goes, sorry Rivet101, but you can forget it. That was done by REAL craftsmen, and not by people who THINK they can just because they can get hold of Tekaloid!

Now for the reactions!
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know I don't have a PhD in handbrushing?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats an easy one to answer. I saw your post a while ago asking for advice, and have just re-read it!

Then again, there was your minefield reference. Based on my over 40 years of restoring, I can tell you this. If you think spray refinishing is a minefield, then its nothing compared to coachpainting!

Comments?
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool, you need me to know that you are the expert....I can respect that.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rivet, wheres the welders forum you mentioned?

Mail me offline if you wish, I´ve got a couple of questions about your van anyway!

UJ
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe, why not ask your questions online; that way everyone who is interested can read the answers.

I would certainly appreciate your advice.
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: welding for Uncle Joe Reply with quote

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk

Here you go, Unc
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rivet,

I just visited the welding forum and had a quick look round...

If you want any advice, just ask! I saw the photos you sent in on one of your other posts, and have a wee suspicion that when you have finished your project, you will be way better that yours truly!

Shouldn´t we start another thread, this should be about painting!
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, you are very kind, Unc, but there is no substitute for 40 years' experience.

Yes, by all means, start a painting thread. You are the man to do it.

Incidentally, will YOU handbrush my cab?....though it is a long way off yet, as you can imagine.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rivet, if I could get hold of the materials I needed, I would coachpaint your cab with pleasure! Trouble is, some of them were banned long ago...

When its ready, spray your project. I´m going to give you a reason for doing it that way, even if it alienates other members. Every amateur that I´ve ever met has "coachpainted" their project for one reason, and one reason alone, even if they state otherwise. To save money!

I dont know about starting a painting thread, after looking at the welding forum, we should start a welding thread!
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't like the welding forum then? I thought it seemed rather good, though I haven't looked back at it for a while; been too busy at school...but now it is school holiday time....the summer is a long period of intense activity.
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my reason for hand painting wasn't money, actually, but the fact that I believe that my van would, as a commercial, almost certainly have been handbrushed the first time round.

I also imagined it being a very satisfying experience.

But I willingly bow to your experience. I have spraying kit and a compressor. I could build a boothe.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is your van?

What I didn´t like about the welding forum was that on a couple of posts there were a number of faulty answers, only to be expected, I guess

Still at school? Thats the time I did my first restoration....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: