classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1909 Alldays and Onions 2 seat Runabout
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting update, thanks for posting - the joys of old cars eh!!!?? Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rdover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plan was/is:

fix everything I can find that needs fixing then drive it until something breaks or drop off. Fix that then drive some more until everything that is going to break/fall off has done so. Finally it will be reliably unreliable and things will be fixed from being worn out!

The fun is really building now. I can start it easily, it runs beautifully and enjoy ownership. The fettling continues but it is maintenance and improving and accessorizing .... anyone got some CAV diver's helmet rear lights for less than a child's kidney?

Another funny story;
I took her out for a wee spin on Monday evening just to see what needs doing. Glasgow sits in a valley and I live most of the way up the southern side but with the last nasty climb up onto the Ayrshire 'plateau'. I left the drive and puttered up the hill in 1st chasing a cyclist. I caught him just as we reached the last big climb (about 250m) and he said "race you!". The sod beat me to the top - I wouldn't have minded but he was fatter and less fit than me!

I beat him down the other side by blocking him - he couldn't see to overtake! Laughing Laughing
Rdover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggar was great. The weather was perfect and the crowds were huge - it took us 25 minutes to get into the Showground!

We arrived at the Rugby Club at 10am and unloaded ready for the regularity run and were waved off first at 10.15am. Remembering we got only 200m last year, I was pleased when we cruised past and pottered along the country lanes and had a lovely wee run. I missed a couple of gear changes which resulted in barely making it up a couple of steep climbs but the car perfectly until about 5 miles from Biggar when I lost the clutch! I thought the pedal fork had come adrift from the mechanism but the problem was odder than that.

This pic is taken from below but you can see that the fork pushes against a collar and pulls the clutch away from the flywheel. That collar gives is 'new' (1980s) and offers some adjustment for the clutch pedal. It had simply popped off the flange!

Of course, I didn't have any allen keys with me but a passing Humber stopped and lent me a set and within 5 mins I had battered it back on and tightened the grub screws. If you don't need recovered it's not a breakdown! An easy prevention will be to move the collar further inboard and put some welds on the very end so although it could still come loose it cannot fall off.

We got to the Showground without further incident and had a lovely afternoon. Question of the day? "So do you go shopping in it?" "Actually, we went to Asda on Friday evening for the fun of it!"

Now planning the winter's jobs ....
Rdover

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, has it been 4 months since my last update?

Clutch:
I took the old [re-manufactured in the 80's] clutch mechanism apart and with a couple of photos from Johnny Thomas's 1907 A&O I designed a new release flange that will allow a couple of bearing to be the contact surface between the pedal/fork and the output shaft flange. I'll post a photo or 3 when I get is reassembled.

The guy I use for fabrication here in East Kilbride is brilliant and takes my rough sketch and description and turns it into a work of art for remarkably little cash, so I've decided to take the plunge and refurbish the rear axle completely!

The rear hubs are loose on the half shafts because they are worn but luckily the taper on the shafts look fine and we've spoken about the phosphor bronze bushesalready. The plan is to drop the axle, drain the oil out and split it ready for Paul (fab fabricator) to remake the the hubs and brake drums and replace the bushes. I can only hope the axle has not worn in to the point that fixing these things will make it seize up.

Cost? On past experience I reckon £500 which is pennies compared to some places down south would charge!

Updates will be a bit more regular I hope.
Rdover

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

famous last words - I've been far too busy to update this thread ...

Last weekend saw the first outing of the year at Kittochside in East Kilbride and she ran beautifully. No prizes this year but lots of interest and plenty of kids of all ages to try hooting the horn.

Work completed over the winter:
Clutch release mechanism. New prop flange for bearing based release forks - cost £120.
rear axle stripped, new PB bushings fitted (with spares) cleaned to within an inch of its life and rebuilt. New hub oil seals fitted, new cupped hub washers made and the rear axle is still oil tight after 40 miles of driving and a huge amount of 'float' has been eliminated.
fuel filter: finally fitted one after the 4th 'breakdown' due to fluff in the fuel.
Passenger footrest: now even wee shorties can sit with comfort, confident they will not get thrown out at the next right hand bend!
manufacturer's plate/key scratch plate found, cleaned and fitted

The car now starts easily, runs reliably and stops .. eventually ... but within normal limits for a 101 year old car.

In 10 days time we're in Dumfries for the SSVVCC annual run that last year saw me nearly lose the engine to overheating when the rad failed. I hope to get further than the lunch stop this year!

I'll post some photos when I get some time .. soon, I promise.
roverdriver

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds, Rdover, as if you have made steady progress towards reliability. I'm looking forward to further news and photos.
Rdover

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roverdriver wrote:
It sounds, Rdover, as if you have made steady progress towards reliability. I'm looking forward to further news and photos.

I think so.

When I first got the car, many experienced veteran owners told me I should get all the mechanical stuff sorted first but I'm very glad I did the body first. It would have annoyed me to get the car nice and reliable only to hand teh car over for 3 years to get the new body made.

Reliability is, I believe, the key to enjoying these cars. I hope I can now drive it and put it away for weeks or months and only complete a few basic fluid checks before taking her out again on a sunny day.

I promise faithfully to post up some pictures after I come back from Dumfries
Kelsham

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, nice to see the progress.

My late Mother used to relate stories of a biycycle made by Alldays and Onions that she rode in her youth. The name stuck in her mind, she had fond memories.

Now you need to track a bike down to match the car.

Kels.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellow forum-er "dave 35" spotted these engine bits on ebay, any use?

http://bit.ly/17umHl9

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rdover

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Fellow forum-er "dave 35" spotted these engine bits on ebay, any use?

http://bit.ly/17umHl9

RJ

Nope, those are motor bike bits.

Thanks anyway
Rdover

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ4TJnzWUN8

A wee video put together by my friend Alan, taken on the recent SoSVVVC Dumfries car run
Scotty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard,

May I make a recommendation to you, but of course its entirely up to you whether you choose to accept it, however if its you starting the car in the video clip could I suggest you don't wrap your thumb around the starting handle.

If one of these old veteran engines kick back and you have your thumb around the starting handle at the same time you stand a good chance of causing of yourself a painful injury or even a broken thumb.

I sincerely hope you don't mind me mentioning this - and nice video, it looked as you guys were having a lot of fun. Cool
colwyn500

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdover wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ4TJnzWUN8

A wee video put together by my friend Alan, taken on the recent SoSVVVC Dumfries car run

Great video...very watchable and not too long.
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I notice that the starting handle is permanently installed so presumably there is some sort of freewheeling system once the engine has fired up.

Could you make a tube with an inside diameter to suit the handle's main shaft and a cut out section for the 90deg upright section to fit into.
Then if the tube is extended further than the distance the hand grip extends with a solid round bar reduced in size towards the end and machined to a triangular type section which could fit into a 12v power drill or other 12v motor with a chuck on the shaft.

This is somewhat similar to the idea that they use for some of the bigger model aircraft engines.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rdover

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You push the handle in to engage against a spring and then as it starts the end of the handle which is a sort of cam pops out so as not to catch your hand.

I've thought of your suggestion but the engine is 2.2 litres ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 17 of 32

Jump to: