classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1909 Alldays and Onions 2 seat Runabout
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
ChaterLeaman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Alldays & Onions Reply with quote

G'day rdover
Here is a few photos of similar cars here in Tasmania.
Howard.

buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Excellent pictures, when were they taken?

The number plate on one says the "Veteran Car Club of Ta....." is that Tasmania?

Be interesting to have a look on the net for that tomorow, to late tonight though! Laughing

Cheers

Dave
ChaterLeaman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Alldays & Onions Reply with quote

G'day Dave
that was a quick reply!
Yes the plate is Veteran Car Club of Tasmania.
The green car was on a "1 & 2 cylinder" rally some time ago and had come down from NSW for the event...the grey car is here in Hobart.
Howard.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yeah, just got in, was replying to something on the forum, and thought I would click refresh before signing off, and here was your post.

I will have a look tomorow now you have pointed that out.

Cheers

Dave
Rdover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard
Good photos. The grey one is called Helen's wheels and is owned by John Teniswood http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/alldays1/

I've been busy and done a few wee jobs to get the car ready for the Spring.

Radiator
I took it off to repaint the gilled tubes and polish the back and bottom tanks. When I started to flush it out I found huge amounts of redish mud. The car was brought back to the UK from South Africa and it seems that it had collected a significant amount of savannah dust. It took over an hour to clean it out which was rather hard work given the weight of a brass rad!

I refitted it with a new bottom hose which required the bottom water collector to be shortened for ease of use. Bad news is that I discovered a broken stud so I hope it's water tight when I fill it up again this weekend.

Top Water carrier
I reported that this ally part had become very corroded over its life (95 years) and was beyond repair so I arranged for a new one to be made. This cost a reasonable £600 for 3 (one to use, one spare and one to sell) and the new part is now fitted but not tested.

I've decided to get a new body made by the Carrosserie Company of Barnard Castle but discussions are ongoing as to exact style and method both of which affect the cost. The reason for the discussion is partly a result of the trouble with the VCC dating panel and I'd appreciate input from anyone in my position. I'll start a new thread for clarity. Basic situation is that the VCC Dating Panel seemed to be a law unto themselves and were busy redating cars unnecessarily and were being far more picky about authenticity than previously. This means that cars like mine could be refused a date and therefore become almost worthless whilst a dating certificate would mean a value of maybe as much as £20k which justifies me fitting a new body. This is why I need to set a budget that is appropriate to the value.

I'll be doing some driving this weekend so wish me luck!
ianm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day rdover beautiful, just beautiful I wish I could find some thing like that I've been looking for years to no avail çant find anything like it .
I;ve got a friend who is a wheel right and he can only get the wheels to restoe or make.
Ian
Rdover

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another wee update

In fitting the top water carrier, I had to adapt the bottom water carrier which then could not be refitted because the cylinders have eroded internally. Evil or Very Mad . So It is going in for a few days for a cunning repair to the cylinders and the top water carrier fitted properly (note to self: Must learn how to make THICK gaskets). I will have loads of photos and measurements of the type of body I want to have made and it will be designed whilst it's in having the engine repairs done.

Meanwhile, I was having a sly KFC in my 6x6 truck when a guy stopped for a chat. He's a props buyer and often gets asked to find odd vehicles. I mentioned the Alldays and ....... he's got a documentary in teh offing for June and he needs a 1911 - 1915 van/commercial travellers car. Result! This could pay for the engine repairs.

I've also had the transmission brake shoes re-lined by a guy called John Cooper (01603 741 274 07939 457 540) who can do brakes, clutches etc. He's a top bloke who charged me less than a set of brake pads for my Landrover for the Alldays brakes.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fantastic car - project - report.

Thankyou for posting such an interesting article and also keeping folk advised of the progress.

I want one !!!!! Very Happy Exclamation
alapimba

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 1914 alldays and onions in Portugal
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what's that bluey grey line projecting from the front of the car? Sad

Peter
47p2

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
But what's that bluey grey line projecting from the front of the car? Sad

Peter

That Peter, is the definitive "thin blue line" and if Alldays & Onions manages to cross it either the engine is working well or it's in serious trouble Shocked Wink
alapimba

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the car was in a bad day.
but after it it worked and drove without 2help" Wink
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alapimba,

Your car looks great. Will you be keeping its unrestored appearance?

Peter
alapimba

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the car is not mine but about your question, yet, as far as i know if will be kept unrestored (good choice in my opinion)
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! (and I'm sure I speak for quite a few other members on this forum too.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 4 of 32

Jump to: