classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

car batteries
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
1stpop

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: car batteries Reply with quote

has anyone got any advice - best place/any place to buy a classic car battery?

I need one for a 1955 ford pop - a 6v 63ah one

any advice would be very welcome
1.5ran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just search the net ,should turn something up,good luck.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I got mine from Cheshire Batteries, but they are local to me, any good local battery dealer to you, should have something or should be able to get you something suitable. Are you getting a 6V hard rubber battery?

Where abouts are you?

Cheers

Dave
1stpop

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would you recommend a hard rubber one? sorry if thats sounds a bit rude but had to be asked
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I got a hard rubber BATTERY I HASTEN TO ADD! Embarassed hehe I think they look great, may cost abit more, but it is up to you. I was given mine as a B-day present.

Cheers

Dave
47p2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the battery is in view when the bonnet is lifted and you want the car looking original then it should be hard rubber
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with the comments about having a black battery under the bonnet of any classic.

I got mine from

www.linconbatteries.co.uk

They are in Southend, Essex.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, I'm going to have to go against you all....the most important thing is not whether or not its a hard rubber battery or not, but the amount of cranking amps it has, ESPECIALLY with a 6 volt battery.

A good trick though is to get a hard rubber casing, and fit it with a ''modern'' battery.

UJ
1stpop

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would anyone recommend getting one with a higher cranking amps than the one fitted?

the one fitted is 63 amp, my for pop workshop manual recommends replacing it with a (more modern) 85 amp

just a thought
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own opinion on this is to get the biggest battery, with the most cranking amps that you can find....Its something I've been doing forever....

I know that there are a lot of people that would disagree with this....

The trouble is, we are touching a little on originality with this topic. i can understand the people that say 'use an original style battery' but the trouble is, original style batteries dont help in the least when there car is unable to start.

UJ
pigtin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about the makeup of the modern 'hard rubber battery' but if it's as it was originally; fitting one is like 'wearing a hair shirt'.
Anyone who drove in the 50s or 60s will remember how short their life (and capacity) was. Even worse if you had a 6v system and had to use the car for work on a frosty morning.

If you are going to drive a classic for pleasure (as opposed to displaying and pothunting) reliance on a battery with a low performance is like relying on semaphores instead of flashing indicators. If you must have originality under the bonnet I, personally would go along with UJs suggestion.

On my Ariel sq4 an exposed modern battery would have looked ridiculous so I found a company that supplied hard Rubber 'shells' and fitted modern batteries inside it, but my old cars all have modern batteries.

I accept that not everyone will agree with me, but then, I'm too old to be using a cranking handle if the battery dies.
Don.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You have just pointed out my next point. I say get as abig a hard rubber battery, with the highest amps that will fit in your car, mine is bigger than specified in the book, but I much prefer originality. And if you get stuck you have a handle!

There's my oppinion!

Cheers

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I had in my Ford pickup was I think designed for a 6v Beetle, plenty of cranking power (don't recall the figures) but was well up to the job, black rubber case, so looked the part and was well upto spinning the starter over. If it turns over slowly on the starter with a new battery, then you'd need to be checking lead condition and connections, as well as the starter switch and internals methinketh

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose this is understandable really, but one thing that I have noticed in replies to a few topics is that answers are based quite a lot on age.

I get the feeling that the older ones one the forum tend to be a little more...practical(?) in some questions...maybe its the wisdom of age!

UJ
pigtin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a 1953 (standard) VW Beetle in 1963. The power of the starter and battery was awesome. After breaking a clutch cable I travelled approx 100 miles (including the Blackwall Tunnel and numerous red lights) from Essex to Ashford Kent by engaging 1st and pressing the starter to fire-up the engine and move away with three passengers on board. Fortunately the car had a crash box and plenty of 'low down torque'. The garage told me that it was more to do with the starter motor, than the battery. But I never owned another 6v car that could do that.
Don.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: