classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

riley 1.5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
1.5ran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: riley 1.5 Reply with quote

details of my daily driver to follow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the engine is mgb 5 bearing bored to 1860,stage 2 head rimflo valves, titanium top caps, piper 270 cam,kent vernier timing chain,genuine hrg rockerbox, twin modified hif38 su carbs, ram pipes, k&n filters, stainless lcb manifold and rc40 exhaust,electric water pump and fan,digital crank triggered ignitions (one for the middle cylinders and one for the outer 2) ,lightweight flywheel,5 speed sierra type9 box, ali rad,oil cooler, alternator,remote servo,22 capri anti roll bar,poly bushed,goodridge hoses,bilstien coilovers,rose jointed panhard rod,plastic tank in the boot,bmw minilites,mgf leather seats,full weld in rollcage,mini heater,100w halogen lights,probably more I cant remember. over 125 bhp good for well over 100mph and 30mpg ,and BIG FUN
It has crank triggered ignition
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
crank triggered ignition is two separate boyer bransden motorbike systems, consisting of the hall effect sensor next to the crank ,a cdi box (remappable) and dual output coil, I made the extension for the crank to mount the iron inserts in, these are adjustable via slots for independent timing of the inner/outer cylinders (the siamesed middle ones run different to the outers as per minis) so no dizzy with all the slop to worry about.....
yes it shifts
front end was replaced by previous owner due to minor shunt but allway's a talking point....if there is time after discussing the more recent mods
He then took me to the workshop & made me fit a header tank (he made for my old reliant lol salvaged after being written off) pic to follow
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Riley 1.5 is a car that brings back many memories for me...one of which will get me banned from the forum if I tell it! Laughing
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bet thats a lot of fun!! I'll show the pics to dad, it'll give him ideas for his Wolseley 1500 Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set up 1.5ran,
have you thought about getting rid of the SU's and converting it to EFI? not as complicated as it sounds and you can get "B" series maps which can be tweaked to match your tuned engine..

Dave
1.5ran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies ,glad you like it Very Happy . yes its certainly fun and suprises plenty of modern cars Shocked .
efi would be an improvement for sure, maybe one day. unfortunately have too many other more urgent projects to attend to first.
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Riley 1.5 was the first car I ever bought, from a chap round the corner from where I lived. It was bright blue with widened rims and flared arches. I used to walk past it on my way to school and over a couple of years he stopped using it and it stood gathering dust and pigeon droppings! One day I asked if I could buy and he said "It's yours for a fiver" even back then this wasn't a great amount so much to my Mum's disgust I bought and pushed it the few streets home. As it wouldn't start I guess she thought I was safe but within a few evenings my mate and I had it running and that was it, we had wheels! I drove it for a few weeks then one day my brother hit the brakes too hard outside the corner newsagents when he decided at the last moment he needed some cigarettes - the front of the Riley went down on its springs and never came up again, the front suspension had come up through the front inner wings! So, it got pushed home for the second time in as many months and that was that. I seem to remember I got my £5 back from the scrappie for it even after I striped some of the more interesting bits like the instruments and carbs. Funnily enough I only sold the rev-counter and speedo on eBay a few years ago for about £75 so I did well out of that Riley 1.5 Laughing
Keef

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a chap on the RMC forum that's started a Riley One Point Five Register :-

http://www.makephpbb.com/rileymotorclub/viewtopic.php?t=529&mforum=rileymotorclub

and here's a few pics :-

http://www.flickr.com/groups/onepointfive/

=========
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: