classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Fault finding!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Fault finding! Reply with quote

Hi

One thing I am Useless at is fault finding, I think this is because I find it so boring, never tried to learn much about it, anyway, we have a fault today.

If anyone can point out how to fault find for the fault below that would be great, then I can just grin and bear it!! hehe

I put my new fully charged 6V 112A Hour battery on the Ford (Ernie) today, started the pickup with ease, and drove Ernie out. Worked on her for a fair while, and came to drive her back in, turned the ignition on, and pulled the starter she spun over a few times, and then she went dead, nothing on the starter at all. My horn and lights are working, if a little dim, but maybe that is because it is not running.

Felt like a fuse blowing, but with no fuses, well one, but that is intact and nothing to do with the starter, it can't be that! hehe

Any ideas much apriciated, having not having the handle handy, I had to get Dad to come and push her in with me!

Cheers

Dave Smile
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzy, the first thing that hits me. Are the battery terminals tight? Then the second thing, I suppose it is charging, isnt it?

Do you know how to check for that?
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am sure the terminals are tight, but Not sure about the charging thing, as I am just using the battery to start it, move it out, and then to get back into the garage, it isn't really running to charge.

As a newly recharged new battery, surely it won't be flat after one start?

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont be sure, check to make sure! Laughing

I wouldnt expect that a new battery goes flat after one start either. One possibility is that the points in the regulator are stuck. This can cause the battery to discharge quickly If you want to check this, ask UK or someone else that you know is competent enough to check. If they are open, and you close them by mistake with the engine not running, could be big problems.

Over the past few days, we have been discussing 6V charging problems on here....
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

few things spring to mind.. how do you know the battery was fully charged? If you have just bought it it may have been charged some time ago?, assuming it is fully charged then UJ is quite correct either there is a poor conection or there is a load some where that is draining the battery.

If it is a fully charged battery you are right you should be able to start quite a few times even though the battery is not being charged. 112 APH is a good sized battery and would take some running down just suppling the ignition.

if you want a hand send me a pm.

Dave
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
Dont be sure, check to make sure! Laughing

I am Sure, as I tightened them myself this morning. he he
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Hi Dave

few things spring to mind.. how do you know the battery was fully charged? If you have just bought it it may have been charged some time ago?, assuming it is fully charged then UJ is quite correct either there is a poor conection or there is a load some where that is draining the battery.

If it is a fully charged battery you are right you should be able to start quite a few times even though the battery is not being charged. 112 APH is a good sized battery and would take some running down just suppling the ignition.

if you want a hand send me a pm.

Dave

Hi

I have bought this battery showing 6.1V, but I left it on charge over night and then part of the day, so it should be charged.

I will send you a PM in a min.

Cheers

Dave
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

My multi meter, said the battery is at 6.6 or 6.7 today, so that has charge.

Cheers

Dave
old gto

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dont be sure, check to make sure!

"The only thing I`m sure of........
is that I`m not sure of anything!"
I`m pretty sure about that.

I agree it sounds like there is a short, or current drain in the system.
pigtin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it was Sherlock Holmes that said, I quote: "Eliminate the impossible and whatever is left, however unlikely, must be the answer."

This principle I have always used to good effect on vehicle faultfinding but eliminating the impossible sometimes proves difficult. Confused Confused
rustyreks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: fault finding Reply with quote

The earthing is really important on these older engines so if poor earth poor starting power so check earth and starter connections as well as battery leads to check that the battery is charging when you rev the engine the ammeter should move from below zero to a positive reading if it doesnt move it is probably a faulty regulator..The other possibility is that the current is going somewhere even when the key is turned off a wire may be in the wrong place..off the reguatator
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

sent you a PM but its sitting in the "outbox" rather than the sent ? can't see how to shift it, give me a call if you want a hand.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: